Ok guys, what is this? I've so much to learn...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    Found this on the ground, it runs for about 50'. Thought it might be the top of a tunnel of some sort, poked a stick around in the 1" dia hole where it stopped, felt hollow for about 6" down but didn't trail back along under itself.

tgt205.jpg

tgt206.jpg

It's point of origin is in a sandy pile next to a tree.
    Any guesses what created it?
    I sure appreciate y'all helping me learn about things here.

(And I'll just use this thread when the next mystery show up)

Last edited:

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    NorTex
    Its a job for Dale Gribble! Your barn cats, hawks, and owls are not doing their job!

I remember those mole tunnels at my great grandmothers house. She got tired of people driving across her yard on snowmobiles in the winter and left the mole traps in place after first snow. It didn't damage the snowmobiles like she had hoped.
    qJzQxeI.png

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    Looks like it killed the grass above it as it tunneled through - moles eat grubs and worms, while gophers eat plant roots. So, I'm thinking you've got a gopher. Not that the rest of the grass is green, but it's at least still there.

View attachment 401562
    It not only killed the grass above the roots, it ate it or carried it away, and covered 50+ feet in one night. Can gophers do that?

Maybe I can get a better picture. It's as if I'd have taken a 2" putty knife, and drug it across the lawn, 1/4" deep, taking up all grass material.

Gonna try for a better pic -

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    I have moles and they leave a raised mound on their tunnel under the grass and the grass mound is about 2 inches high. I can stomp the mound down by walking on it. Your tunnel looks like the grass on top of the tunnel is gone. So I would guess gophers are your problem. Just a guess.
    Either one is very hard to kill.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    The collapsed tunnel (or trough maybe) is weird - here the moles and gophers only leave occasional raised mounds where they poke their heads up out of the ground. But that could just be your soil conditions.

Now if that's not a collapsed tunnel and is actually a trough dug in your lawn with the grass completely removed...then I have no freakin' idea what did that and you'd better arm up in case it comes back.

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    Ok, no raised areas - but it does look like after they did whatever, they left behind a thin layer of fine sand to dress the whole top of the run -

tgt207.jpg

But wait - there's more mystery. At the end, around the hole, (where I put the stick) there is almost a perfect a circle of red leaf crumbs - and there is no other plant material (trees, bushes, etc) in this 2 acre yard that has those red leaves - (they look brown in the pic, but they are very red) And they are no where else along that...whatever the hell it is.

tgt208.jpg

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    mosingirl
    Top Bottom