• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Powerful engines of yesteryear also would barely idle, sucked fuel, had a very low specific output (power per unit of displacement), and required frequent attention(“tune-ups”). The more power they made, the less “streetable” they were, to say nothing about emissions.

Modern cars are amazing. Electronic engine controls and other tech has really spoiled us...when was the last time your car wouldn’t start because moisture got under the distributor? (not question not directed to you 1911 guys )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    Powerful engines of yesteryear also would barely idle, sucked fuel, had a very low specific output (power per unit of displacement), and required frequent attention(“tune-ups”). The more power they made, the less “streetable” they were, to say nothing about emissions.

Modern cars are amazing. Electronic engine controls and other tech has really spoiled us...when was the last time your car wouldn’t start because moisture got under the distributor? (not question not directed to you 1911 guys )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Back in the 50's we needed regular service like valve jobs, rings, bearings, wheel bearings packed, differentials serviced, tune ups, generator bushings, etc. Everything wore out too soon. Now you can run 150,000 miles without any of this stuff going wrong. But, back then, you could park under a street light and change a head gasket.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    But, back then, you could park under a street light and change a head gasket.
    Funny you mention that. There's a LOT of motors out there you really "can't" (well, anything is possible if so determined). But, despite GM getting a LOT of fanboy hate for sticking with 2 valves per cylinder and cam in block on their V8's, they are actually EASIER to work on than the classic V8's. You can pull the intake manifold and put it back on as many times as you care to, because not only are they super light but they have viton O-rings sitting in recesses around the ports and no coolant channels through the intake. Many gaskets are reusable, and there's nearly zero use of adhesives like the old days. The heads come off super easy, and are identical - put it on whichever side you choose. You don't even need to scrape the block and heads when changing them either, because the head and exhaust manifold gaskets are MLS (Multi-Layer Steel).

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    25corvette_111.jpg

Attachments

• 25corvette_111.jpg
      25corvette_111.jpg
      145.7 KB · Views: 379

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    When I drive my El camino 305 V8 it feels like I am doing 100 when I am doing 60, when I drive My cadillac it feels like I am doing 30 when I am at 80

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    Funny you mention that. There's a LOT of motors out there you really "can't" (well, anything is possible if so determined). But, despite GM getting a LOT of fanboy hate for sticking with 2 valves per cylinder and cam in block on their V8's, they are actually EASIER to work on than the classic V8's. You can pull the intake manifold and put it back on as many times as you care to, because not only are they super light but they have viton O-rings sitting in recesses around the ports and no coolant channels through the intake. Many gaskets are reusable, and there's nearly zero use of adhesives like the old days. The heads come off super easy, and are identical - put it on whichever side you choose. You don't even need to scrape the block and heads when changing them either, because the head and exhaust manifold gaskets are MLS (Multi-Layer Steel).
    Yes, you couldn't get along without a lot of stuff in your trunk, putty knife and adhesive was a big part of it.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angee
    Top Bottom