• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Went to Catholic Mass(I'm Southern Baptist FWIW) with my girlfriend yesterday evening. I was absolutely blown away(and very pleasantly surprised) that the entire "sermon"(not sure what they call it) was the priest speaking out against the Health & Human Service mandate in the new Obamacare/Affordable Care Act that requires every health insurer (including religious institutions) to provide access to family planning and drugs that induce abortion. I've been a part of sermons that mention political issues, but I was really intrigued by the way the Catholics are treating this as a moral imperative to defeat Obama(though they were careful to coin it as "get our leaders to change their mind"). The logic they used was outstanding (though this mandate is very reprehensible on it's face). I want to investigate their claim, but it was said "Never in the history of this country has the government mandated religious institutions to provide a service/benefit that is squarely against their beliefs."

What says TGT?

Any other Catholics get this "sermon" yesterday? As I understand it, they have uniform messages amongst all of their churches. Curious to get other people's take on this.
    Hurley's Gold

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    I'm a non practicing catholic, I lost touch with it after the priest at my church was caught molesting altar boys. But the catholic church opposing Obama care does not surprise me at all. Catholics have a history of being the first to stand up and get bloody if need be.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Don't ever let the actions of another distract you from you're true purpose. He will answer for his sins.

As to the rest of your post, I think it's spot on. Catholics are never afraid to roll up their sleeves.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Don't ever let the actions of another distract you from you're true purpose. He will answer for his sins.

As to the rest of your post, I think it's spot on. Catholics are never afraid to roll up their sleeves.

He already did. He was extradited to Cali for a previous molestation case where he was convicted and put in prison where he was shivved and left to die in the shower. Don't get me wrong I never lost my faith I just chose a Different path of worship.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I'm not always the best Catholic, but I am Catholic and go to mass at least once a week. I've heard the message several times.

I'll save my religious comments and keep this political to avoid the lockdown.

From a strictly political perspective I see abortion as a violation of the most basic of human right - life. If we can't guarantee a person's right to be alive then what the hell does it matter if we can freely exercise religion, keep and bear arms, assemble, etc?

Now the government (through Obamacare) is not only forcing religion upon us and violating the 1st amendment with this BS, but they're also asking us to violate human rights? Even if I was an atheist I would support the church on this one purely because of the political ramifications.

Elbe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    San Antonio
    The HHS mandate on contraception is simply the government passing a law requiring Catholic institution employers to violate their faith. If this goes through it is a slippery slope to passing laws that affect other religions and belief systems. It is a sad day in America when people are forced by our government to choose between obeying one or the other.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    The Federal government shouldn't be regulating anything to do with healthcare in the first place. They have no Constitutional, enumerated power to do so.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    The HHS mandate on contraception is simply the government passing a law requiring Catholic institution employers to violate their faith. If this goes through it is a slippery slope to passing laws that affect other religions and belief systems. It is a sad day in America when people are forced by our government to choose between obeying one or the other.

I agree. Not just with Elbe, but with everyone in this thread. All I know, is if these Catholics get motivated enough to vote, it's gonna be trouble for BHO.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    The Federal government shouldn't be regulating anything to do with healthcare in the first place. They have no Constitutional, enumerated power to do so.

BINGO!

They have no business regulating anything. From my understanding the governments original intended purpose was to protect the country it's self not its people, of course back then the majority of the American people could take of themselves.

Top Bottom