• ...and so much more!
  • MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    I bad scalded the tops of my middle 3 fingers right hand this morning (tea kettle failure), much pain, very nominal blistering. Held under cold water for a few minutes, then sprayed on Burn Pain Relief (.05 lidocaine) and it helped for about 15 min and then the pain came back worse than ever. Wailing, crying, pain. I then realized that as the Burn spray did its thing, it also 'sealed' the skin, to keep out infection sure, but it also kept in my normal body heat and I wanted it gone!! so I filled a bowl with cool water and plunged my hand in it and within seconds - all pain was gone. Like, gone. I gently rubbed the burn spray off my fingers, took my hand out of the bowl, patted dry, and the pain didn't return. It came back once, after I went outside for a few minutes around noon, when I went back in to the cold house, no more pain. Now, 8 hrs later, as long as I avoid all heat near my hand my fingers don't hurt, still tender to the touch but that's all. Even the blistering went down.

I'm okay, just wanted to share this in case it happens to you. Cold is your friend. :)

Last edited:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I bad scalded the tops of my middle 3 fingers right hand this morning (tea kettle failure), much pain, very nominal blistering. Held under cold water for a few minutes, then sprayed on Burn Pain Relief (.05 lidocaine) and it helped for about 15 min and then the pain came back worse than ever. Wailing, crying, pain. I then realized that as the Burn spray did its thing, it also 'sealed' the skin, to keep out infection sure, but it also kept in my normal body heat and I wanted it gone!! so I filled a bowl with cool water and plunged my hand in it and within seconds - all pain was gone. Like, gone. I gently rubbed the burn spray off my fingers, took my hand out of the bowl, patted dry, and the pain didn't return. It came back once, after I went outside for a few minutes around noon, when I went back in to the cold house, no more pain. Now, 8 hrs later, as long as I avoid all heat near my hand my fingers don't hurt, still tender to the touch but that's all. Even the blistering went down.

I'm okay, just wanted to share this in case it happens to you. Cold is your friend. :)

tis but a flesh wound?

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas

Burns are among the most painful injuries. Glad you found relief. Thanks for sharing in case one of us has an incident like that.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

I scalded my wrist bad on an exploding radiator a few years ago - second degree burns, all the skin fell off on the way to the acute care clinic that was the closest place I could get to to get treated. They perscribed silver sulfadiazine, aka "silvadene", and it healed me up so well there's no visible scarring. Took about 2 weeks of keeping the silvadene on the wound and keeping it wrapped, but it healed fast and really helped with the pain, too.

Fast foward to last year, and I got my doctor to "pre-emptively" prescribe me some silvadene that I keep on hand for the occasional nasty burn from the forge. Got some on my right index finger under a band-aid right now where I gave myself a little 2nd degree burn this past weekend. It's great stuff, and if burns are something you deal with from time to time I highly recommend it.

Johnny Diamond

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    US

Take care of yourself sister, be careful!

~ strength and honor ~

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    I scalded my wrist bad on an exploding radiator a few years ago - second degree burns, all the skin fell off on the way to the acute care clinic that was the closest place I could get to to get treated. They perscribed silver sulfadiazine, aka "silvadene", and it healed me up so well there's no visible scarring. Took about 2 weeks of keeping the silvadene on the wound and keeping it wrapped, but it healed fast and really helped with the pain, too.

Fast foward to last year, and I got my doctor to "pre-emptively" prescribe me some silvadene that I keep on hand for the occasional nasty burn from the forge. Got some on my right index finger under a band-aid right now where I gave myself a little 2nd degree burn this past weekend. It's great stuff, and if burns are something you deal with from time to time I highly recommend it.
    Wow, that's Wicked. Mine was not nearly as bad. Glad you have some treatment on hand. My preventative was drop kicking the tea kettle across the yard. :)

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Fast foward to last year, and I got my doctor to "pre-emptively" prescribe me some silvadene that I keep on hand for the occasional nasty burn from the forge
    Between the dozens of tubes and many 400 ml jars, I have almost a gallon of silver sulfadiazene in the house. I opened a radiator cap on my Rambler while leaning over it when I was 18. The car was badly overheated and the cap didn't have a pressure-release lever so when I started to turn it it blew right off.

I lost most of the skin off my belly, chest, neck, and face. My glasses saved my eyes.

The memory of that incident keeps me from ever being less than stupidly over-supplied with silver sulfadiazene.

contender buff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    ft worth tx

Remember ice is your friend. ice water will almost always take most of the pain away !

Dermako

Semi-Retired of that
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2019
    DFW
    Y'all missed a good one for the coons: miniature marshmallows.
    They'll practically kill each other fighting over them.
    Coon Crack.
    Haven’t heard of that one before. Will have to try it.
    One we use is can of sardines in oil. Partially open can, use decking screw and screw can with lid side towards tree. Oil runs down tree and they go nuts trying to get in to it. You will end up with a whole family of coons at the bottom of the tree.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Between the dozens of tubes and many 400 ml jars, I have almost a gallon of silver sulfadiazene in the house. I opened a radiator cap on my Rambler while leaning over it when I was 18. The car was badly overheated and the cap didn't have a pressure-release lever so when I started to turn it it blew right off.

I lost most of the skin off my belly, chest, neck, and face. My glasses saved my eyes.

The memory of that incident keeps me from ever being less than stupidly over-supplied with silver sulfadiazene.

My burns were nowhere near that extensive, but damn I'm glad silvadene ointment is a thing.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Haven’t heard of that one before. Will have to try it.
    One we use is can of sardines in oil. Partially open can, use decking screw and screw can with lid side towards tree. Oil runs down tree and they go nuts trying to get in to it. You will end up with a whole family of coons at the bottom of the tree.
    My favorite racoon bait
    Peanut butter mixed with maple syrup to a fairly thin paste, mix in some dry dog food( small pellets work best) and some small marshmallows. I use dog safe leg traps.
    Rarely sits more than 12 hours before catching one. My best time is about 20 minutes.
    My burns were nowhere near that extensive, but damn I'm glad silvadene ointment is a thing.
    I have used Silvadene quite a few times. Messy but it works.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom