Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Why are you trying to avoid a septic system? Is it cost based, environmental concerns, or non-perkable ground?
    Or is it some other reason?
    I once considered purchasing a communication building that came with its own tower. The concrete bunker was huge but it was on a high, dense, artificial hill. There was no water, no sewer, and no place to put a septic field. The installed toilet was one of those solid steel things that burns the waste.

If I had gotten it, I would have gone for a composting toilet. However, despite the fact that it was cheap (a multi-million dollar, hurricane-proof, tornado-proof, flood-proof installation for less than $200K) the massive issues with getting running water as well as the added distance for my commute (Dayton to SW Houston is a pain) led me to pass.

tl;dr - I can understand why someone would want to go to a composting toilet.

Hmmm. Just out of curiosity, I wonder what that place looks like now? Here's a pic from Google. Unfortunately, they don't have a street view but it looks like nothing has been done with the place for the last 20 years. I see what looks like lots of rust on the tower and an entrance driveway that no longer seems passable. Weird.

Screenshot from 2021-05-05 09-58-30.png

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    I have nothing against composting toilets at all, they serve as an ideal solution in the right circumstances as Ben pointed out.

In Texas, are you allowed to dump your gray water outside? If not, the composting toilet doesn’t solve your problem. If you are allowed to dump your gray water outside, then that would let you do a much smaller septic system I would think, with less cost, maybe?

I am not familiar with the building codes, environmental codes, city codes, county codes etc. in Texas. (But I am trying to learn them as I go, LOL)

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    With regard to septic systems, one factor is that the county is often involved in permitting and some of their requirements increase the cost tremendously. Last one I put in for a client in Travis County cost $18,000.

Katydid1984

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2021
    Hunt County
    I have nothing against composting toilets at all, they serve as an ideal solution in the right circumstances as Ben pointed out.

In Texas, are you allowed to dump your gray water outside? If not, the composting toilet doesn’t solve your problem. If you are allowed to dump your gray water outside, then that would let you do a much smaller septic system I would think, with less cost, maybe?

I am not familiar with the building codes, environmental codes, city codes, county codes etc. in Texas. (But I am trying to learn them as I go, LOL)
    Yes, you are allowed to dump your gray water outside. Talking to the septic people about a smaller septic system is actually a good idea. :)

Katydid1984

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2021
    Hunt County
    With regard to septic systems, one factor is that the county is often involved in permitting and some of their requirements increase the cost tremendously. Last one I put in for a client in Travis County cost $18,000.
    Geez! That's crazy, I know our county requires around a 400 dollar permit.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ben, how much land came with that bunker you were looking at?
    The realtor couldn't tell us for sure. At the time, some comm company was unloading hundreds of installations around the country and the situation was very confused. It looked to me, just eyeballing it, like the lot was about 300' x 300', or ~2 acres. The realtor thought the lot was just that postage stamp shown in the photo which is less than an acre with about 100' of frontage. The realtor, as soon as he realized I wasn't going to buy (and I realized that pretty quick), wasn't willing to confirm anything.

Feel free to look at it on Google and see what you think.

But even that doesn't tell the whole story. The actual bunker and tower are high on an artificial hill made of some sort of stabilized fill. To bring in water would require digging through something akin to solid rock.

The situation was odd all around. I looked at several installations that were for sale. Some were 10' x 10' x 10' concrete cubes buried underground directly beneath guy-wire towers. Some seemed to be little more than a quarter-acre with a telephone pole in the middle. None had any amenities that would make conversion to living space feasible.

They were all cheap land but, well, I guess cheap land is usually cheap for a good reason.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Its really cost right now. We are trying to get into our house as fast as we can but don't really want to have to take any big loans.
    We paid $5,000 cash to have ours installed. They didn't do a very good job, but we're 6yrs into it and it hasn't gave us fits. Just pumped it for the first time last year. That was county and no permits.

The toilet is a cheap, get you in, fix. You could always stub for a septic and come back at a later date if need be.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Morning
    Boat and dock survived the tornado, lake house not quite so lucky.
    But still livable with tarps, the whole house generator, and providing Mother Nature holds off on rain for a while.
    She did a pretty good of demoing for my pending remodel, but not quite as delicate as I'd prefer ...

(Hell, after living in a captured NVA bunker in Cambodia for a couple of weeks, even a Chicago ghetto outhouse is the Ritz)
    Your alive. That's all that matters.

Karl-1 Mother Nature-0

Top Bottom