• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jlm195650

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2024
    Bandera, TX
    I work at a ranch during the season and take care of things during the off season. Now we have a problem with Red Ants/Ants under every feeder. I have been looking for a natural non toxic solution and wondering if anyone else has an idea or used something in the past that work. Desperate for suggestions before bow season kicks off. Thanks in Advance.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    has anyone actually tried DE and had success and not just read how wonderful it is.

I found a scorpion in the house. I was told DE was the most wonderful stuff. I placed said scorpion in a Tupperware container with 1" of DE in the bottom. After a week he was still running around happy as could be.

Get some get a scoop of ants and see what happens in a controlled test lol.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    has anyone actually tried DE and had success and not just read how wonderful it is.

I found a scorpion in the house. I was told DE was the most wonderful stuff. I placed said scorpion in a Tupperware container with 1" of DE in the bottom. After a week he was still running around happy as could be.

Get some get a scoop of ants and see what happens in a controlled test lol.

I was using DE 25 years ago, with great success.

Of course, it was when used with the large aquarium filter used for special cleaning of my tanks.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Fire ants got wiped out here, at least for a while. The Rasberry crazy ants showed up and killed them off. Of course, they're also a giant PITA, getting into electrical systems (including cars) and such.

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    I don't know if it meets your non-toxic requirement because it kills them but I have always used Amdro. Works great. Sounds like DE is probably your best solution though.

Last edited:

Coonan357

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2013
    Just below the panhandle of Texas
    We moved into this house about twelve years ago. A large metal-sided hen house came with the deal. It hadn't been used in quite a while. It was massively infested with stick-fast fleas. We didn't know this at the time though and stocked it with chickens. The flea infestation was so bad that some of the chickens died. Using Vaseline around the eyes and such helped quite a bit, but it wasn't until we got a 20lb bag of diatomaceous earth from tractor supply that the flea problem vanished.
    I haven't spread any in quite a few years and we still don't find any fleas.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    We moved into this house about twelve years ago. A large metal-sided hen house came with the deal. It hadn't been used in quite a while. It was massively infested with stick-fast fleas. We didn't know this at the time though and stocked it with chickens. The flea infestation was so bad that some of the chickens died. Using Vaseline around the eyes and such helped quite a bit, but it wasn't until we got a 20lb bag of diatomaceous earth from tractor supply that the flea problem vanished.
    I haven't spread any in quite a few years and we still don't find any fleas.
    Same results on the coop.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Not-toxic and 100% effective. Takes a little while, though. Those buggers are hard to pick up.

1726779042122.jpeg

Top Bottom