• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wiredgeorge

Older than I was yesterday!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    In Medina County, homestead owners over 65 don't pay school taxes but do pay for the Emergency Service District and Medina County expenses. These went up quite a bit for this coming year to pay for all the crazy development, large raises for elected and non elected county employees and various other things the county came up with that are hard to understand. There was a vote to cap or raise the minimum tax rate last year and of course, the astute Medina County voters voted to raise it. They (we? I guess) voted for a $300M school bond to build since the county commissioners and judge have allowed nilly willy development as land prices were relatively low and developers had a feast. They didn't hold developers feet to the fire for infrastructure help so the county will eat most of it. On top, they welcomed in two huge Microsoft server farms while placing the county in stage 4 water restrictions and facing electricity shortages. These people are so deeply ingrained in their positions and keep their heads down that voters just pull the handle on voting machines and say, "more taxes? no problem...".

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    In Medina County, homestead owners over 65 don't pay school taxes but do pay for the Emergency Service District and Medina County expenses. These went up quite a bit for this coming year to pay for all the crazy development, large raises for elected and non elected county employees and various other things the county came up with that are hard to understand. There was a vote to cap or raise the minimum tax rate last year and of course, the astute Medina County voters voted to raise it. They (we? I guess) voted for a $300M school bond to build since the county commissioners and judge have allowed nilly willy development as land prices were relatively low and developers had a feast. They didn't hold developers feet to the fire for infrastructure help so the county will eat most of it. On top, they welcomed in two huge Microsoft server farms while placing the county in stage 4 water restrictions and facing electricity shortages. These people are so deeply ingrained in their positions and keep their heads down that voters just pull the handle on voting machines and say, "more taxes? no problem...".
    It looks like you have 8 different school districts in Medina county. Do they all waive taxes for over age 65?

Tax Info

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    No problem! 22% Sales Tax!

Relying too much on sales tax creates a volatile income stream. Sales Tax receipts tend to fluctuate with the economy. They'll fall drastically in bad times. Plus, the increase to 22% would change people's spending habits, reducing spending so that the 22% wouldn't be enough.

They should really have an income tax instead of these onerous property taxes.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    No problem! 22% Sales Tax!

Relying too much on sales tax creates a volatile income stream. Sales Tax receipts tend to fluctuate with the economy. They'll fall drastically in bad times. Plus, the increase to 22% would change people's spending habits, reducing spending so that the 22% wouldn't be enough.

They should really have an income tax instead of these onerous property taxes.
    So....a sales tax means the government would have less money to spend and taxpayers would have more control over their tax expenditures.....

....what's the bad side?

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    I'm not going to dismiss it out of hand. I'd love to see a breakdown of what the results would actually be. If nothing else, think of what this would do for retirees..

It will kill them, but they will die on their land. That property tax paid for the fire department that would have come out when they started feeling bad, but doesn't anymore. No more police, so the teenaged thugs did a home invasion on them. Property taxes are helping pay all your local government and infrastructure.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    It will kill them, but they will die on their land. That property tax paid for the fire department that would have come out when they started feeling bad, but doesn't anymore. No more police, so the teenaged thugs did a home invasion on them. Property taxes are helping pay all your local government and infrastructure.
    If the money for those things are shifted to other taxes, those things wouldn't happen. They may well "chose" to starve to death, but they at least won't lose their home in the process..

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I’ve stated in other posts, wifey worked in a financial role for one of the municipalities, and I can tell you that it’s plainly obvious that the peoples money is managed much differently than these public servants would handle their own personal finances. It’s sickening. There’s absolutely no incentive to preserve funds, because there’s always a guaranteed income stream.
    End of each fiscal year, each agency scrambles to spend every last cent in their budget, because if they want to ensure they get at least the same amount in next years’ budget. Any left overs, and it’s deemed the funds are not needed and they are allocated somewhere else.
    Construction bids are a joke. They are non-binding and it’s expected to receive cost adjustments well after the work has started. As long as it’s below a certain percent, nobody questions it.

wiredgeorge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    It looks like you have 8 different school districts in Medina county. Do they all waive taxes for over age 65?

Tax Info
    They waive property taxes for the school district but not the rest of the county taxes. Pretty sure this isn't unique to Medina County for those over 65.

wiredgeorge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    Wes Virdell, a pro gun guy, won the GOP primary for TX53 house seat replacing a scumball RINO! He wants to see an end to property taxes. I sent him a note and he called me prior to the primary and I asked how he would do this and he really didn't have a firm plan. Here is the blurb from his campaign website:

End Property Taxes​

Property Tax is one of the most egregious forms of taxation. Repeatedly paying a tax on our property means we are merely renting our house from the government. If we follow the principle of liberty, the government has no authority over our property.

Until I hear some sort of a concrete plan that doesn't involve a huge bump in some sales tax or other, I will not hold my breath. Wes is a great guy and was Texas State Director for Gun Owners of America. He is a smart guy and I hope he figures out how to raise money without property tax.

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    They waive property taxes for the school district but not the rest of the county taxes. Pretty sure this isn't unique to Medina County for those over 65.
    I’ve never heard of it anywhere before. And each taxing entity would have to authorize it individually- all 8 school districts. That includes Northside ISD. And that means Northside would waive those taxes for everyone over 65, not just in Medina county. I’m pretty sure that’s not the case. I can’t find an explicit list of exemptions on the Medina CAD site, so I can’t verify any of it.

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gunnar
    Top Bottom