• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rev210

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    San Antonio
    I am about to order some nights sights for my Glock 26 and Beretta PX4, I was reading that it is better to have a gunsmith install them than to try and do it myself since I have never attempted it before. Anyone know a good place that can do it in SA? Thanks in advance.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    Your garage. Trust me this is extremely simple. You should get the glock front sight tool because a standard 3/16 nut driver wont do it. Most of the places that sell sights online also sell this tool for around $20.
    For the rear some old shirts or rags, a vice, screwdriver/punch, and a hammer is all thats needed. Use the rags to protect the slide from the vice and firmly clamp it in there top side up. Take the flathead screwdriver/punch and use it to knock the rear sight out. For the front place it in the vice using the rags as protection for the slide clamp it down. Unscrew the little hex bolt from inside the slide. Installation is the opposite of removal.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I am about to order some nights sights for my Glock 26 and Beretta PX4, I was reading that it is better to have a gunsmith install them than to try and do it myself since I have never attempted it before. Anyone know a good place that can do it in SA? Thanks in advance.

As someone that has personally put sights on his PX4 Storm (Trijicon the first time, then Mepros since I drop the gun on tile floors while cleaning it and it broke two of the tubes) and his buddy's G19, it can be done. BUT! That Glock will be a cake walk compared to the Beretta. With the Glock, just grab some loc-tite when you're installing and you'll be fine with just using a standard screw driver and a vice of some kind. Remember NoT to over tighten the vice since you can collapse the slide at it's weak spots. With the Beretta... Too be honest, that Mother F-er is in there tighter than you can imagine. I, nor my gunsmith, could get it with a punch and screw driver. I used a sight pusher and it was a life saver, but if you don't plan on ever swapping sights again, spend the cash on a good smith. I am the type that likes to do things myself so it's up to you. What type (model) of PX4 do you have?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

rev210

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    San Antonio
    Thanks for the info, I have a type F PX4, I read that the Glock is pretty easy to to do but the PX4 is more complicated and some gunsmiths won't even attempt it, sounds like you had the same experience.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Thanks for the info, I have a type F PX4, I read that the Glock is pretty easy to to do but the PX4 is more complicated and some gunsmiths won't even attempt it, sounds like you had the same experience.

I ordered this www.sightpusher.com and it worked very well. I did have to disassemble the slide to get the vice part to clamp properly (the safety/decocker is in the way), but that wasn't too difficult, but again I like doing things myself. Honestly it was good I did since there was a bunch of build up under the extractor. Again, if you don't plan on ever swapping sights again, or don't need a tool that can wind adjust your sights, and don't want to spend $60 on a tool you'll never use again, then find a good smith with a sight pusher. If you try to get the sights back on wacking it with a screw driver, you'll crack the Tritium tubes. If you think you'll be trying it yourself, then I can post the link on disassembling the slide.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom