• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    After a tactical class that dealt with knives as weapons, one of the biggest points was the speed factor of deployment of a folding knife versus a fixed blade. Since my daily carry knife is a rather large folder (crkt M16-14) I decided I needed a dedicated self-defense blade for areas when a firearm is either not legally allowed or practical.

My choice was a Ka-Bar TDI. I picked the large blade after handling both large and small at a gun show. The Large has significantly more weight, a thicker blade and when gripped, the bottom of the handle can also be used as a weapon if necessary. I’ve been a tanto-tip fan because of their added strength and ease of cutting deep even at shallow angles. The model I found on ebay had serrations, but they were pretty much pointless….so I decided to attempt to replicate the “Veff” serrations on my folder.

This is what the blade started as:

ka-bar-large-tanto-tdi-02-1485-serrated.jpg

I laid out the pattern with painters tape on the blade itself and set out with my Dremel. I started with a carbide cutoff wheel to cut new serrations using the olds ones as a pattern marker. Then the grinding wheel to shape the overall edge of the serrations. I used a diamond grinder to fine-shape the edge of each serration and finally a steel wire brush wheel to get rid of any inconsistencies in the surface of each serration. Finally with a round diamond hand-sharpener, I went at it for about half an hour.

The end result shown next to the folder and the custom 5 o’clock IWB sheath.

IMG_1613.jpg

Close up:
    IMG_1614.jpg

Close up comparison of the serrations:
    IMG_1615.jpg

One might ask “why” would I put such serrations on a personal defense knife. The angled setup of the TDI lends itself very well to slashing as well as stabbing allowing equal control for both.

1. In a slashing motion, the serrations will start the cut faster, significantly extend the inflicted wound and inflict significantly more damage to both muscle and nerves than a plain edge.
    2. In a stabbing motion, serrations will cause significantly more trauma upon removal than a fixed blade. It also easily converts a stab into a longer slash pending the manner of removal.
    3. A serrated blade like this one is not as likely to glance off of clothing. While it may not completely penetrate to the skin when put up against something like thick jackets, it will fair much better than a plain-edged blade.

God-forbid I ever have a real-world test of my skills and equipment, but If I am in a situation where for whatever reason I don’t have, or can’t use my gun, I’m confident this is the next best tool.
    ARJ Defense ad

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    Very interesting, I like it! I've had a TDI in my waistband for going on 3-4 years now. Great knife, never had a problem with it. Mine is the original smaller model though, no serrations.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Looks mean.How are the knives fairing against the elements now?

Have you noticed an increased wear in the Kydex sheath?

The CRKT has been a daily carry for about 2 years now. No problems at all. I use it frequently as a utility knife mostly cutting large zip ties, packing materials and cardboard.

The TDI doesn't see a lot of actual use aside from basic practice. The Sheath does not show any additional wear.

Very interesting, I like it! I've had a TDI in my waistband for going on 3-4 years now. Great knife, never had a problem with it. Mine is the original smaller model though, no serrations.

I started with that one, but the size of the grip didn't give me the degree of confidence in control I wanted. I ended up giving it my girlfriend who until recently depended solely on pepper spray for personal defense. When she turns 21, we'll talk CHL. Until then, we've made a few range trips to get her accustomed to shooting which I'm proud to say she not only comfortable with, but extremely talented as well.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Looks mean.How are the knives fairing against the elements now?

Have you noticed an increased wear in the Kydex sheath?

The issue isn't the kydex or the leather, it's the fact that salts, sand / dirt, gets into the sheath and abrades the steel. Silica is the enemy.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    If serrations like these were Illegal, i couldn't have them on my CRKT folder.

In all honesty, i really don't care if it's legal. It's not like I'm waving the thing around like a crazy person. It's job (like a concealed firearm) is to remain hidden until it's use is merited.

murfdog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Pearland,TX
    I'm not saying the serrations are illegal just the modifaction. don't get me wrong I'm with you on carrying just my 2 cents.Depending on the county DA some are you know what.

Murfdog

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I'm not saying the serrations are illegal just the modifaction. don't get me wrong I'm with you on carrying just my 2 cents.Depending on the county DA some are you know what.

Murfdog

No problem, I understand. My rude commentary was directed more at the un-named "you know what" that wants to start crap.

Top Bottom