• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WestTexasshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    Sweetwater, TX
    Anyone have advise on next gun build? I built AR-15 and it was way easy. What is the next gun I should attempt to build? Maybe something a little harder I thought about Sten MK? or something like that.

Capitol Armory ad

kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    How about one of the .50 caliber quigley guns...always wanted to build me one of those. I think someone sells kits, I would love to have a single shot octagon barreled 50...

WestTexasshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    Sweetwater, TX
    A .50 would be awesome, but have yall seen the the email about the savage 10MLSS. That pressure scares me. A FAL in a .308 would make a good hog gun. I saw a exess 1911 receiver for sale on Midway. So many choices, kinda like walking in a liquor store.

Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I second that 1911 build! I think I will attempt one this summer as well. I don't know very much about building them, but I know I want one in my collection.

WestTexasshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    Sweetwater, TX
    I made my mind up and went for a cheap parts kit. I ordered a PPS-43 parts kit for 69.00 and receiver flat but am now looking for barrel. The PPS-43 is a full auto that I will convert into semi. I could be a challenge and probably cost more than most gun builds, but I like the challenge.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I know i'm late on this one, but if in the future you decide to build a 1911, I just built one and they're time consuming but pretty easy. No real special tools aside from a plunger staking tool and a flat file. For those of you looking for a good 1911 frame to build on, fosterind.com is the father company of caspian arms and sells blemished frames for damn good prices. Std. government carbon steel goes for $129.00. If it's your first build, I recommend getting the full parts kit minus the frame from sarcoinc.com. Most of the parts are G.I. surplus.
    Heres the latest build. Took 30+ hours
    View attachment 3278
    View attachment 3279
    View attachment 3280 View attachment 3281

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Nice!!
    maybe i'll do that instead of buying a 1911.

it has got to be more rewarding that way.
    what was your overall cost for that project in round figures?

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    $129+shipping and ffl for the frame, $210 for the parts kit with slide, borrowed a buddys plunger staking tool, and already had a 150 6" flat bastard file, as well a small ball peen hammer and a rubber mallet.

About $350 gets you to picture 2. That's a finished slide on a naked steel frame (fortunately the frame already comes factory bead blasted)
    $370 gets you to pic 4, buys you the Lauer Zinc or Manganese phosphate parkerizing solution from midwayusa and a can of brake cleaner
    $385 gets you the finished product, pic 3, the kg gun-kote sells for 8.99 for 4 oz. of air-brush ready paint, as for the air-brush, I used an old badger airbrush kit ( the kind wal-mart used to sell in the model airplane aisle) they can be had for cheap on ebay and hobby lobby sells the propellant for them, otherwise you have to pay a hazmat shipping fee for a $30 can of spray that doesnt finish one gun.

And it may not be needed, but I suggest that if you order the supplies from midway or anywhere, you also get some 600 grit lapping compound ($12), or a lapping compound kit ($30) It makes the action silky smooth.

Let me know if you go that rout, I can do my best to walk you through the process.

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    I built a 1911 lower last year to dedicate to my Ciener .22 slide.
    The Double Star receiver was $99. Internals ran about $150
    I have seen blem receivers a low as $70.
    The only fitting required was the thumb safety and the grip safety. 15 minutes of filework each.

Most of the time and skill of building a centerfire 1911 is in fitting barrel to slide.
    You can cookbook that with information found online.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I built a 1911 lower last year to dedicate to my Ciener .22 slide.
    The Double Star receiver was $99. Internals ran about $150
    I have seen blem receivers a low as $70.
    The only fitting required was the thumb safety and the grip safety. 15 minutes of filework each.

Most of the time and skill of building a centerfire 1911 is in fitting barrel to slide.
    You can cookbook that with information found online.

Where did you get your reciever from? I looked all over and eventually figured I might as well go with a foster.
    Foster frames are a lot tighter. I had to work my way from file and then down the levels of lapping compound to get a smooth fit.

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    I think I got the frame from centerfiresystems.com.
    I wasn't looking to build a bullseye gun. The Ciener slide fits very well with no slack.

Top Bottom