• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Underdark

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Bedford, TX
    First, Hi new to the forums. Also new to the scene. Only own a 10/22.
    Been looking at getting into the hunting scene and i have a chance this season to go with a friend to his lease. Only thing is now i'm looking to find a decent gun to get the job done : )

I was looking around at local stores (Cabelas, bass pro, etc) and stumbled upon a recent add for Bass Pro Shops.
    Ad
    If you look at the add (takes a min to load) you can see on the top left hand side theres an ad for a sale on a Remington Whitetail Pro in different calibers. Was interested to see if anyone could offer a newbie some information as to whether or not it would be a good gun. Range-wise, durability, life, etc.

Thank you to all whom reply. Been reading forums for information for a little while now and decided i should join and partake in the fun.
    Gun Zone Deals

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    I will give you my opinion. I do not know how much you are willing to spend. If I were you, I would shop for a good, used Model 700. You can find them for around $4-500 and they are miles above the quality of that rifle you are looking at.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Another option, one I have taken advantage of twice, is a Weatherby Vanguard. While not a true Weatherby, the rifle is made by Howa and is an excellent shooter. They were run on special for $399 last year and are still available from Academy for that price. They are available in several caliber choices. I personally have a 25-06 and a 30-06 and was hoping to get one in .270 as well before circumstances changed. These are very nice rifles for the money and are way above the budget models from other makers as far as quality goes. Okierifleman's suggestion is a good one to consider as well.

Underdark

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Bedford, TX
    Thank you for the quick replies. I was looking at a Rem 700 cause i've heard TONS of good things about them. Just thought i'd ask about this gun since i saw it on sale. Guess i'll start looking for a 700.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Yeah, I'd avoid the whitetail pro. I just took a closer look at the circular and that appears to be the Rem 770 platform that I really dislike. Just doesn't feel as good as a nice 700 does.

Bud's is showing $404 for The Vanguards with synthetic stocks and $529 for wood. Both prices shipped. They also have a syn stock scoped package in hard case for $521. Good prices IMO.

The Remy 700s start at $535 for synthetic and around $750 for wood.

Worth the money as well I just like the cheaper Vanguard because it is, well, cheaper with comparable quality it would seem. The Remy is certainly the more proven of the two though. Just remember not to go cheap on glass. IMHO glass should cost at least half what the rifle did to be of decent quality, usually more if you really like clear optics.

ETA: Bud's = www.budsgunshop.com

Hondo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    The F in DFW
    You will get lots of different opinions and they will ALL be good opinions......even Mad Mo's ultra whammer bammer suggestions ;)

It all really depends on you, how much is your budget (how much will your wife LET you spend heh heh), where are you hunting, what are you hunting and what do you expect from your rifle as far as performance.

Can't really endorse the Remington Whitetail, if it is a remake of the old 710 then I will say pass and look for something else. My all time favorite suggestion for someone looking for a good all around reasonably priced rifle is a Savage.

Underdark

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Bedford, TX
    While a m107 would be fun, it's a bit more out of price range. Plus i just dont think that .50cals enough for them deer :p

Price range is flex able from 0-$700 i would say. I know cheaper obviously isn't the best route. I just don't pertain all the knowledge of which gun would be right. Something like this is something i would consider, but then i run into the question of, yes the remy700's are well spoken for, but is the sps buckmaster a decent choice? I know i could search this form and find all the nessecary information which is why i feel bad posting a comment like that. But hell, the thread is already started.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    I would be ok with that choice. It is a 700 after all. I'm not up on the SPS designation, but the Buckmaster is just a name added to it. As long as you stay away from the cheapest Remys you will not be disappointed with one.

Underdark

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Bedford, TX
    I actually found a Remy 700 at Academy for a price that isn't too hard on the pocket. Probably gonna take a closer look at it throughout this week before i make a final decision. Either that or they have the Weatherby Vanguard VG1 for $399 which isn't too bad

wrtanker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Ft. Worth
    No one has mentioned this so I will. If all you're hunting is Texas deer then you might want to consider a nice .30-30 with a 4x scope. Am I old-fashioned? Am I telling my age here? I really like the compact little lever action rifle, Marlin makes (made?) a dandy in the 336. Unless you're hunting in Big Bend the .30-30 with 4x scope will do just fine for the ranges you're likely to be shooting at and the size of the target.

But that's just me...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I would be ok with that choice. It is a 700 after all. I'm not up on the SPS designation, but the Buckmaster is just a name added to it. As long as you stay away from the cheapest Remys you will not be disappointed with one.

I'm pretty sure it is a 740, which is an update of the 710. Decent rifles, unless you ever decide you want to upgrade it.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    I'm pretty sure it is a 740, which is an update of the 710. Decent rifles, unless you ever decide you want to upgrade it.

I guess I stand corrected, I thought it looked right and Bud's showed it as a 700, but I'm not up on the Remy's that well and I know Bud's is regularly inaccurate in their descriptions. Thanks for the clarification.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    No one has mentioned this so I will. If all you're hunting is Texas deer then you might want to consider a nice .30-30 with a 4x scope. Am I old-fashioned? Am I telling my age here? I really like the compact little lever action rifle, Marlin makes (made?) a dandy in the 336. Unless you're hunting in Big Bend the .30-30 with 4x scope will do just fine for the ranges you're likely to be shooting at and the size of the target.

But that's just me...

Thats a very good idea I personally wouldn't shoot over 150 with a .30-30. Another option is to buy a serplus rifle and throw a sporter stock on it and go hunting.

Red Cloud

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Fort Worth, Texas
    IMO since you are new to high power rifles, I would suggest you go with a caliber with less recoil. You will be hard pressed to beat the .25-06 in the Rem. 700. Marlin also makes an excellent bolt action rifle which is much less expensive, around $400 out the door, the XL7.
    For $169, Natchez has Burris 3-9X40 scopes on sale (very good quality optics) at Natchez.com. That would give you an excellent set up.

Good luck. I am also new to this forum but not to firearms.

Top Bottom