• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mage2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    south of texas capitol
    So retarmysgt showed me how to reload 45 acp. and it was fun. I had been interested in reloading for a few years but never took the plunge.
    Now as of today I have a speer 14 reloading book, a Lee O frame press with all the fixings.
    So wish me luck. I am going to start reloading 30.06 and 45 ACP if the stars align and I aquire some large pistol primers.

anyone have any favorite loads for a 30.06 with 180 grain bullets?
    Texas SOT

mage2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    south of texas capitol
    As i have just started I have purchased both 150 and 180, 180 i think would give me slighly better penetration...maybe
    I know my rifle likes 150 commercial ammo, well after break in it would eat anything with MOA or better response.

I figured i would work up a load for both.
    I have hornady interlock 180 SP and hornady 150 interbond boat tail (found in a "returned" bin for about 70% off. couldnt pass that up.
    I found CCI magnum Large rifle primers and paired it with Win 760 ball based on the speer #14 book. 51 gr to start.

But i am just starting out.
    we will see what the rifle likes to eat and go from there.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I got into reloading thinking I would save some money on ammo. The problem is you just shoot more often.
    I reload 30.06 rounds. One thing you must be aware of is head space. If you excercise the case shoulder just a couple of thousands too far down you might experience case seperation. I recommend that you purchase some kind of case gauge. Dillion makes a gauge for about $30 and RCBS makes a Mic gauge for around $50. There are many other good gauges on the market too. I had this problem with my AR. I set my resizing die per the instructions, but it turns out the cases were slightly too short. I won't go into the details of determining headspace but it is something to confirm for your rifle. You will be surprised at quality you can get from your reloads.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Both the .30-06 and the .45 ACP are very nice to reload. The .45 does well with Bullseye, 231, Unique, or Tightgroup.

.30-06 does well with IMR-4350, -4895, or -4064. I've tried Win 760, but didn't think it was quite as accurate or clean. For hunting I like a 165 gr bullet with 50 gr of IMR-4064. Keep in mind that the right combo of bullet and load is different for different rifles. Keep track of the loads you try and find the one your rifle likes best.

As you fire a cartridge, the brass will be compressed outward and will thus 'flow' a bit. The case gets longer. If you are firing the cases multiple times, they have to be trimmed to length. (This is more a problem with the '06 than with the .45.) At the very least, you need a caliper to make sure it's not too long. Likewise, the seating depth of the bullet makes a lot of difference on the accuracy of the round. Fortunately, several reloading companies offer low-cost calipers.

mage2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    south of texas capitol
    well i found that my rifle is ok with 180 grain rounds but doesnt care for them going slow, or something
    the start charge i used didnt group worth a ...
    but after raising the charge it seems to be doing much better.
    next weekend i plan to go to the range , so that will be the decider.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    well i found that my rifle is ok with 180 grain rounds but doesnt care for them going slow, or something
    the start charge i used didnt group worth a ...
    but after raising the charge it seems to be doing much better.
    next weekend i plan to go to the range , so that will be the decider.

I always have better luck loading in groups of 3 rounds starting with the recommended smallest amount then increasing by .5 seems to save total amount of poor rounds, and I find that normally most rifles will do best accuracy wise 7% under max. Once I find the sweet spot I will load 5 rounds each increasing or decreasing by .1. Keep a log of each round you load date, powder, load, bullet, allow for a remarks section, this becomes important as you load more rounds.
    Go slow/ be safe and enjoy reloading makes shooting more fun.

Top Bottom