• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Greenville
    Just picked up a "new to me" custom ruger 10/22 with upper and lower rails. Adjustable stock, removable fore grip, 1 10 rd. mag and 1 extended 25 rd. mag. And a TruGlo red dot sight. I'd post a pic, but I can't on my iPad unless I have tap talk or something.....lol.

Anyway, I was wondering if the ruger 10/22 can take any other type of .22 ammo, like .22 high velocity, or magnum. Sorry if this is a stupid question, I've never had a .22 just want to make sure I'm safe.
    Hurley's Gold

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    It will probably shoot any type of .22 LR fine. Some guns are finicky and may not like one particular brand or another, but most all will work fine in your Ruger. It will be up to you to find which brand and type works best for your needs.

However it will not feed or shoot .22 Magnums, different cartridge.

Hate to see your first 10/22 to be so decked out. A lot of the fun is searching for and putting all that stuff on yourself.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Greenville
    It will probably shoot any type of .22 LR fine. Some guns are finicky and may not like one particular brand or another, but most all will work fine in your Ruger. It will be up to you to find which brand and type works best for your needs.

However it will not feed or shoot .22 Magnums, different cartridge.

Hate to see your first 10/22 to be so decked out. A lot of the fun is searching for and putting all that stuff on yourself.

Cool! Thanks! I will not buy any .22 mag then...lol

Dont worry, I will be getting the archangel kit and adding some other stuff down the road once I get more firmiliar with the platform.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I would honestly avoid the archangels. They make cleaning a pain, and will not hold zero very well because the receiver floats around inside of the stock.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Damn, TAPCO isn't very creative; that looks like the exact same stock from them that I've got on my Yugo SKS...

If anything, I would revert your 10/22 back to its original form. Much nicer looking that way.

They are great shooters...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Greenville
    Got some pics! Lol.

7669833062_a87e3d2877_b.jpg

untitled by AdmiralZx3, on Flickr

7669836120_d4714b59f1_b.jpg

ruger 10 22 by AdmiralZx3, on Flickr

7669835580_8c849e1681_b.jpg

ruger by AdmiralZx3, on Flickr

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    The Tapco Fusion isn't a bad choice if you want a pistol grip and collapsible stock.

1022TFl.gif

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I like that tapco. Looks like a good shooting stock. I wanted a butler creek folder but I got rid of my basic carbine 10/22 and replaced it with a marlin model 60. I still have a 10/22 in a hogue overmold with a bull barrel. Imo that tapco is way cooler than alot of the archangels.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Greenville
    Thanks guys! I'm pretty excited to finally get out and shoot it tomorrow.

What ammo is recommended? I know everybody has different opinions on this subject, but I know some guns like some ammo better than others. What seems to work better in this platform?

Yesterday I went to academy and picked up a box of 525 rds. of winchester high velocity plated hollow points, for 18.99 + tax btw, still cheaper than on base where I don't have to pay tax. Good rds. or get something else next time?

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Thanks guys! I'm pretty excited to finally get out and shoot it tomorrow.

What ammo is recommended? I know everybody has different opinions on this subject, but I know some guns like some ammo better than others. What seems to work better in this platform?

Yesterday I went to academy and picked up a box of 525 rds. of winchester high velocity plated hollow points, for 18.99 + tax btw, still cheaper than on base where I don't have to pay tax. Good rds. or get something else next time?
    Walmart Federal 550s seem to work the most reliable for mine. For plinking they shoot about 4moa :-)

images

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I have found with .22s that it depends on the gun, but my 10/22 pretty much eats anything as does my Marlin 60. The GSGs I have are a different matter, they are very finicky as to what's on their menu. For them I pick up the Federal Target ammo from Bass Pro.
    The great thing about it, .22LR is cheap so you can try several different brands/types to see which works best!

Let us know how that rifle shoots!

Cheers! M2

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    A 10/22 will eat any and all ammo with a cheap and simple upgrade. The Volquartzen E.E.E. extractor. About ten bucks shipped from gunkings.com. I actually have one bnib sitting in my parts drawer. I plan on putting it in my 10/22. Right now it has a pc customs titanium (I bought because the EEE was out of stock), and seems to be working well. If someone wants the pc custom, I am more than willing to let it go for free. Just pm me. That will motivate me to put in the EEE.

Edit: Pc Custom Titanium extractor is spoken for, by the op. So ya'll stay the phuck outta my inbox JK Feel free to pm me about the meaning of life.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Any "rack" grade Ruger 10/22 will run through almost all ammo you can feed it.

Mine tend to prefer the Winchester Dynapoints, but shoot Federal bulk pack ammo just fine.

The "hotter" rounds from CCI tend to cause more perceived recoil, and I have no idea what that will do to the guns long term.

Top Bottom