• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    6.5mm bullets will do plenty fine on Texas game. I'd argue they are a bit overkill for most Texas game because of their velocity. A low-charged .30 caliber bullet would damage the animal less than a 3000+ FPS 6.5mm bullet, but with a precision rifle, you can just headshot the animal anyways.

I am looking at a .260 Remington Ackley Improved for my bolt-rifle build. It'll be barreled to accept 140+ gr. bullets which push the BC way beyond what you can get with a .30 caliber bullet in an acceptable load.

I agree, my friend shot a 180lb south Texas buck last year with a 55grn ballistic tip.. The deers legs went out from under it and it hit the ground hard. My other buddy shoots a thompson center .223.. same thing 55 grn ballistic tip. he takes neck shots at 100 yards.. He has never had a deer run away from him.. Its all about shot placement in my opinion but a good bullet also helps :).

I think I just purchased another 300 wsm.. I just found a win mod 70 for $300.00 .. and i had to buy it.. looks like I have a new deer gun for next season...
    Target Sports

Hotshot12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Fort Worth, Texas
    270 is a proven game round, really what it was designed for...

there aren't any real long range bullets out there for them, just good bullets for hunting.

270wsm is a good round, lots of lethality out to 500 yd can be had
    In that case I may have just found my caliber. From the ballistic calculator I got from winchester on my phone it seems to be a very flat shooting round with little bullet drift. Now I just need to decide if I'm going to build it, buy parts and have someone else assemble it that actually knows what they're doing, or buy an assembled rifle and just change parts out as I go along.

Top Bottom