• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hotshot12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I'm looking for a new rifle for hunting but I want it to have plenty of knockdown power at longer ranges. The main rifles I have looked at are Sako a7, tikka t3, ruger hawkeye, and the remmington 700. The calibers I'm looking at are 7mm-08, 25-06, 260 rem, and 250 savage. If y'all could just give me some advice for choosing my rifle and caliber would be much appreciated. I plan on using it to hunt deer and hogs with but also to shoot long range competitions with.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    If you can afford the Sako, that is a very nice rifle. I've got a pre-Garcia Finnbear circa 1967 that was my Dad's. Very solid and accurate. The Tikka I'm not so sure about. And of course the Ruger and Rem are solid choices as well. For longer ranges the 25-06 will get out there pretty well, as would a .270 Win. 30.06 or 7mm Mag (not on your list)

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    Might consider keeping to a common round, unless you reload or have someone reload for you. You'll have a wider selection of ammo to choose from and a bit cheaper as well... As for knock down power, all listed are plenty for deer and hogs. Even smaller caliber with the right bullet (Barnes) has proven to have plenty of knock down.
    As for competition shooting, depends on how far are you are wanting to reach. Do some research on different bullet manufacturer's website to see what they have to offer.

Personally, I would want to have a rifle for hunting and another one for competition. Once I get my setup with a scope and the rifle is spot on, I prefer not to make any changes to it; like adjusting the scope for extreme yardage change and/or different types / weight of ammo.

Good Luck and keep asking questions... There's plenty of people here that has decades of experience and don't mind sharing...

Hotshot12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Fort Worth, Texas
    What I'm looking for is something that I can shoot long ranges for either competition or long range hunting but that also has some recoil but not a lot. Something that kicks as much as or less than a 308. I'm about 6 foot and weigh about 145. I'd like something that I can shoot enough at the to sight it in well and get used to it but not something that I shoot like 5 times then say I'm done. I realize that a shooting bench will help but I like to shoot like I would on a hunting trip. Any advice is appreciated.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    ^^^^

what he said. But keep in mind, felt recoil is a factor of loading and rifle weight configuration. I'm 5'8, 165 (on a good day) and I can shoot 20 or more rounds of 30.06 in my 7.75 lb Sako and not have an issue. On the other hand, shooting my Winchester 101 20Ga at 6~ lbs will bruise my shoulder in one round of skeet, or a day at the dove field if I don't put some padding there. I think people worry too much about recoil. There are things you can add to your rifle that will reduce that.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I would build a .260 Rem. I like the setup, it's like a poor-mans 6.5-284, and it has plenty of choice in bullet.

Avoid the Ruger M77, they generally aren't as accurate as Remington 700s or Savage 10s.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    It all comes down to what you want. I personally like the 25/06,flat shooting,low recoil,great for varmints-mule deer. All of the other calibers listed are also great calibers too.

Hotshot12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Thanks for the Help guys. I will let y'all know what I decide on when I decide. On another note that tonight I completed my eagle board of review and am proud to say I am now an eagle scout.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Not sure if it has been covered... But what about 300 wsm? You can push heavy ballistic tip bullets fast... 155amax, 165 noslers.. around 3000 fps and above...

How far are you wanting to shoot?

Even a .308 with handloads is going to be very lethal for a long way out.. all of this goes back though to your capabilites as a shooter and being able to ethically take game.

If you are talking long range like 500 yards and below... 308 is going to be in my mind.. the best for easy to reload.. lots of rifles.. lots of bullets... etc etc... Less recoil, cheaper to practice with..

Sako makes a hell of a rifle.. ruger 77 is a great platform.. I know I am jumping around her.. but I think it really depends on what you are shooting at and how far.

jeremy

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    or 6.5x55mm, it is a long action case and with a Mauser action or similar rem 700 and an aftermarket barrel can be loaded HOT for long range shooting as well.

the 6.5x55mm is my favorite caliber, extremely flat shooting, great choice of bullets, and has excellent ballistics. just most of the factory ammo is rated low(er) velocity for shooting in 100+ year old milsurp rifles.

the Europeans use that caliber for moose hunting, the larger(160-220gr) round nose bullets have a huge sectional density and do a great deal of penetration... a very capable caliber for hunting and long range shooting
    the 260 is basically the same thing minus some longer range distance carry due to the shorter .308 case.(less powder = less distance) but i am kinda old school i like longer cases vs short fat ones...

I agree with HI cap on the 6.5... There is a rifle by cz.. the 550 american I believe .. it comes in laminate or wood stock.. It shoots the 6.5 swede round... The swede's were neutral so to speak in both world war 1 and 2 .. they were not under stress to mass produce rifles like most other countries were.. and their rifles showed that.. I know a few people that have spent thousands building up 6.5x284 rigs and other 6.5 shooters.. After all of their hard work and load development and thousands of dollars I have had a few of them tell me that the amount of time,money, energy it took them to get their guns running up to snuff they really did not see enough gain over the standard 6.5x55.

Lots of choices for 6.5 bullets some with amazing B.C's .. all going to be awesome trajectory out to 1000 yards.

Anyway just another thought. .308 win is still my favorite load around.

CharlieBear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    I like the 300 Winchester Mag. Its an all around caliber. It can kick, but it offers a wide range of of choices, 150 to 250 grains which can give you plenty of game options, especially if you get invited out to elk hunt or bear hunt you don't have to rifle up. Also, there are a lot of rifle choices if you are not too brand loyal. With the right load, it will give you some good distance. My brother picked up a Sako Classic in 300 Winchester Mag a few years ago and it is a sweeeet shooting rifle.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I am partial to the 300 wsm.. Short action.. less recoil.. still tons of awesome hunting and match long range rounds. It only lacks about 30-60 fps less on most loads.. but it has non belted cases. Get the right twist rifle and you have yourself one hell of a shooter.

These guys are making a spoof video ... and they still manage to make 3 repeatable hits on a 15" steel circular target at 1113 yards... YouTube - 1100 yard shot with 300 wsm

If yall are wondering they are making fun of Huskemaw Long range hunting scopes...

You can do this same thing with a 300win mag.. but its going to have a lot more recoil. IF you put a comp on a 300 wsm or a silencer.. ive been told it feels exactly like shooting an Ar-15.

Hotshot12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Fort Worth, Texas
    So what would the closest comparison for the recoil of a 300 wsm. I am a bit recoil weary but I also want to get something that I know I can find ammo for and won't dislocate my shoulder when I shoot it a lot.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    If you are recoil sensitive then avoid the .30 caliber stuff, unless you are willing to put a muzzle brake on it.

The 6.5x55 is one I was going to suggest, but it would limit your choice outside of building the rifle outright. The caliber is superior to .260 Rem and is probably one of the best 6.5mm calibers on the market now.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Do you mind if I ask:

How far are you going to be shooting? What are you going to be shooting at? Do you hand load?

260 is the same base as a .308. 260 rem is less of a barrel burner than 6.5x284 ... However 6.5 creedmore out performs the 260 remington. There are really 1000 different options and if you get into the 6mm world the sky is the limit. Check out www.6mmbr.com They have a ton of great info on most of the calibers over there. However once you start to go down this path your head will explode. Id say just really ask yourself how far, what, and how much $ I want to drop on the gun and the ammo the gun shoots. I can tell you that with 155gn palma (.308win) bullets I am shooting 15.6 Moa to get to 700 yards. That is pretty good trajectory in my opinion and that is out of a 20" 1:12 barrel. If you can get your hands on a 24" 1:10 barrel you will be able to match or beat that trajectory with store bought ammo. Get some hornady 155amax hunting rounds (amax has a boat tail) and now you have yourself a pretty decent flat shooting caliber that is going to devastate anything you can hit in the vitals. (this is why the 300 wsm fascinates me.. it shoots the same 30 cal rounds as the .308 but its going to launch the shit out of them, giving awesome trajectories and better barrel life, less expense than getting into the 300 win mag, 300 rum, 300 ultra line of rifles)

6.5 is a competition round in my opinion.. You said you wanted a hunting round. I would not get into the 6.5 world unless you wanna go with the swede. There is lots of info out there just start the google machine.. Try and get out to the range and find people shooting or ask around with your friends... tell them you wanna test out some deer rifles and see what people have.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    6.5mm bullets will do plenty fine on Texas game. I'd argue they are a bit overkill for most Texas game because of their velocity. A low-charged .30 caliber bullet would damage the animal less than a 3000+ FPS 6.5mm bullet, but with a precision rifle, you can just headshot the animal anyways.

I am looking at a .260 Remington Ackley Improved for my bolt-rifle build. It'll be barreled to accept 140+ gr. bullets which push the BC way beyond what you can get with a .30 caliber bullet in an acceptable load.

Top Bottom