• Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I assume you're referring to the Lithium Ion battery that it has?
    How is that any different that a cell phone you put up against your face to make phone calls?

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    anything made by olight is fucking trash

l m a o

detective goro mouri lol.png

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    the 5-6 free flash Lights I have gotten from them from when they first came around all are still running strong. One of the mini rechargables is on my key ring and gets beat to crap.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I assume you're referring to the Lithium Ion battery that it has?
    How is that any different that a cell phone you put up against your face to make phone calls?

Well samsung does make howitzers and APC's, so i suppose it is possible my phone's manufacturer has killed someone at some point

But seriously olight has terrible circuitry which is why so many of their lights like to burn too hot then die.

FB_IMG_1716225947691.jpg
    FB_IMG_1716225964498.jpg
    FB_IMG_1716226085323.jpg
    FB_IMG_1716226103849.jpg

Just a few examples

Last edited:

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    I am a little wary of a rechargeable optic. Suppose you are at shooting class and your battery runs out of juice. You can't just replace a battery and carry on. You have to wait for the optic to charge. Kind of like a long trip in a Tesla.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I am a little wary of a rechargeable optic. Suppose you are at shooting class and your battery runs out of juice. You can't just replace a battery and carry on. You have to wait for the optic to charge. Kind of like a long trip in a Tesla.

Another issue is that with olight, they have, or at least had a strict 1 year warranty.

Their CS approach to most issues is "buy another one".

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Yeah, for some things like that, I'm not a fan of things that can't have a battery swapped quickly. I'd pass on it.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Yup, only Olight had issues with lithium ion batteries experiencing thermal runaway. Well except laptops, cell phones, e-bikes and cars, hoverboards and pretty much anything else that used them, the list is long and distinguished.
    A 10 second DuckDuckGo search might reveal some answers... nah, it's just Olight sucks, except the one I've had for nearly a decade.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Yup, only Olight had issues with lithium ion batteries experiencing thermal runaway. Well except laptops, cell phones, e-bikes and cars, hoverboards and pretty much anything else that used them, the list is long and distinguished.
    A 10 second DuckDuckGo search might reveal some answers... nah, it's just Olight sucks, except the one I've had for nearly a decade.

Olight has a disproportionate number of issues with lights failing spectacularly. It's not just the batteries. Their chargers fail (aka melt) all the time, the tail caps can have discharge issues when it comes into contact with other metal surfaces, and the lockout mode is a faulty bandaid fix for crappy switching. How about CS? Non-existent.

Of course their MLM scheme of paid reviewers and influencers would have you believe otherwise.

I don't see surefire, cloud, streamlight, or any other companies sending C&D's to small time ebay sellers, or sending spies into other Facebook groups or forums so they can compile lists of supposed "olight haters", or banning people that think Taiwan should exist.

Even the assholes at modlight aren't that bad.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    I'm not a hater or an advocate of any brand light, and no expert in any case. Evidence abounds for numerous manufacturers and it's not just flashlights but in that realm, most notably, Solarforce, Pelican and Surefire are reported to have had similar issues.
    As mentioned many other devices exploded, caught fire, melted and in virtually every case it's related to batteries. Any other flaws might be unacceptable to you, I don't know, never experienced any of those other problems.
    The other things may be good reasons why you dislike the brand but a blanket "because they explode!" implies they are the only one.
    It doesn't matter to me what brands you trash talk but blaming a particular manufacturer for a very widespread issue strikes me as a little disingenuous.
    I have no idea what their marketing has to do with the issue at all.
    Seems it's sensitive to you and I have no desire to argue, you're right, Olight is the devil.

Top Bottom