• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Never had a good vehicle from GM. Still driving a 97 F150 4x4 and a 2014 F250 diesel 4x4. My experience may not be yours but never a GM again. Have done well with Toyota and Honda too. Wasn't that long ago that GM had a full page advertisement in the Wall Street Journal promising to make their cars better. Don't believe them.

Bought the wife a 2015 Chev Equinox. It now has 102k on it. Been thru 2 sets of tires and one stereo amp. Nothing else except oil changes.

Don't get me started about the 2009 F350 that was replaced by a 2015 Chev 3500, absolutely no comparison. That was my third Ford and there won't be a 4th. I didn't like the GMC bailout and that why I wound up with the POS Ford. Oops, mistake.

Oh, I have a '96 GMC 1500 with 190k that is my backup.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Bought the wife a 2015 Chev Equinox. It now has 102k on it. Been thru 2 sets of tires and one stereo amp. Nothing else except oil changes.

Don't get me started about the 2009 F350 that was replaced by a 2015 Chev 3500, absolutely no comparison. That was my third Ford and there won't be a 4th. I didn't like the GMC bailout and that why I wound up with the POS Ford. Oops, mistake.

Oh, I have a '96 GMC 1500 with 190k that is my backup.

Glad you have good luck with GM, all I can report on is my bad luck with them. Any vehicle you get might be a lemon. In my case every vehicle I had that was a GM ( starting with a new 1960 Corvair) turned out to be a lemon. Have never had a bad Toyota, Honda, Ford or at present a Hyundai. For what it's worth the last car report from Consumer Reports gave the F150 the best recommendation for a full size pickup. People shopping for a vehicle can get some very good info from Consumer Reports because their tests can reveal some info that you never can find on your own. I personally do not like Consumer Reports views on social issues but their car reviews are good.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Yup, the Ford Ranger was on my list. When I stopped in at the Ford house closest to me, the sales guy told that the pricing on one was about 2K less than the base F150. A bit pricey. Even though, I did check out some reviews on YT and printed stuff. They all said that it was lacking behind by a good bit. A couple videos noted mushy steering and poor 4x4 performance, as well as a back seat area that can't really be used for cargo/storage.
    Ya, I haven't bought anything but a ford in 15 years. One thing they never get right is the break pedal and steering feel.

When I get right down to it I miss my 86K5 blazer. Now that was a truck. I thought I got it stuck once in a 6 ft deep mud hole we couldnt see in the rain. I slid into it side ways and came to rest all but rolled on its side. That was Till I realised it was me trying to drive out of the hole the wrong way. Turned it left and out she came. You would have thought I was a first timer winning the 1000. There were 50 or so trucks taking advantage of the rain to have fun and they were all cheering and paying off bets. I almost called a tow truck lol. I had my whole family with me and I was up to the seat belt in water inside. That thing never stopped running. When I got home I pulled the seats n carpet, hosed them and the inside out and paid attention to wiring and she was just fine.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Consumer Reports rates the 2020 compact trucks (out of possible 100 points) Honda 74, Ranger 58, Colorado 49, Tacoma 45. All other compact trucks are 40-something points with Jeep & Tacoma tied for last. I got a leftover 2019 Ranger & paid WAY too much for it. I like mine, but with 17 inch wheels, even with a factory doorstep rail, ingress is a PITA. It's real easy to park & has a lot less inside storage than my F150 did.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    LOL, I've had good Chevys and bad Chevys, good Fords and bad Fords, no really bad Dodges though, which I'm sure will get a lot of people fired up.
    There is good and bad in all of them, which is why I posted links to actual third party reviews instead of just spouting my opinion.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Every Ford I’ve owned has had a recall for something that was at risk of starting on fire.

Yes, going back to the Pinto, Ford has always had a flare for that kind of thing.

That said, my old F350 I gave to my son in law after 560k miles and he's still driving it around today. Factory motor and transmission. I've put 117k miles on it's replacement. Not sure how many miles he's put on my old truck, but likely a lot less than I drive. (new truck seat isn't nearly as comfortable as the old one, even though I had to rebuild the old one because it was worn out)

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    LOL, I've had good Chevys and bad Chevys, good Fords and bad Fords, no really bad Dodges though, which I'm sure will get a lot of people fired up.
    There is good and bad in all of them, which is why I posted links to actual third party reviews instead of just spouting my opinion.

Dodge just got stagnant. Till their latest but they are too expensive now. Shit all full size trucks are obscene price wise with some in the 6 figure range

greggtex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Aubrey, Tx.
    I have a 2017 Colorado LT, crew cab, short bed, 2wd, V6. LOVE it. 10x the truck the Tacoma WAS. (also had a Tacoma prior) Mileage is great when you don't drive like me. You'll pay out the azz for it, but the diesel is getting some MPG you wouldn't believe, well into the 30's. A LOT of guys online will post their mileage. But you pay a premium.
    Read the reviews, go drive one. I wouldn't have the 4 cyl. The V6 is great. Also used in Camaro and one of the Caddys too I believe.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have a 2017 Colorado LT, crew cab, short bed, 2wd, V6. LOVE it. 10x the truck the Tacoma WAS. (also had a Tacoma prior) Mileage is great when you don't drive like me. You'll pay out the azz for it, but the diesel is getting some MPG you wouldn't believe, well into the 30's. A LOT of guys online will post their mileage. But you pay a premium.
    Read the reviews, go drive one. I wouldn't have the 4 cyl. The V6 is great. Also used in Camaro and one of the Caddys too I believe.

Welcome to the Forum!

CPTKILLER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Gatesville, TX
    I went with a Jeep Gladiator as a small ranch work truck. It has a Max Tow Package and a couple of other options. I added a 12K winch and heavy duty bumper to avoid getting stuck or pulling out othe equipment.

So far all is great. My 4X2 Silverado would get stuck on wet grass. The Gladiator is a real Jeep.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    I wanted a Colorado with the Duramax but the boss didn't like it. We got a Tacoma TRD Pro, I loved it but she didn't like it for long. The seat bottoms are about 4 inches too short, so our legs hung way over and that gets uncomfortable real quick. We finally settled with a 2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew 4X4, she loves it and I like it enough to keep it for a few years. It's got all the power needed with the Ecobeast engine. Mileage so far with just under 4,000 on it is around 23 mpg average. Heated seats and electric boost to the heater right from startup is absolutely wonderful for her since she's always cold. And we got it for 0% financing for 5 years, I love using someone else's money to finance my stuff at no cost.

IMPD2079

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2014
    New Braunfels, Texas
    So, it's time for a new truck. I've pretty much decided between the Toyota Tacoma and the Chevy Colorado. Though I am open to all suggestions. I'm looking at the 4x4, 6 Cylinder, automatic, extended cab, in each model. What should I, or what do I, need to know about either? Or any others?

I'm looking at new for a few reasons. I can get exactly what I want, and not settle for just okay. Unless I really do win the lottery, and not playing it but a few times a years makes that highly unlikely, this will be the last new vehicle I'll own. I'm also looking at these midsized trucks for cost, ease of entry and exit, and fuel mileage. As well as the ability to load and carry my electric scooter using the crane/lift. As opposed to the ramp that rides in the receiver hitch if it were an SUV type vehicle. It just ends up being extra weight when not being used, sticks out quite a bit, and is a major pain to put on and take off with one arm.

Any experience, knowledge, tips, tricks, or advice, anything that the highly esteemed and learned members of this forum could pass along would be highly appreciated.
    I recently traded in my Ford F-150 King Ranch. I bought a Toyota Tacoma. I have had a few of them in the past. I love it. Got mine at a large Toyota dealer. Life Time Warranty.Toyotas don't wear out. They run forever. I love mine. I am 6'3" and have plenty of leg room. Back seat does not offer much leg room for an adult with me having to keep the seat back. I only buy Toyota and Ford because I will not support a company that has to have my tax dollars to bail them out then gives millions to its CEOs as a bonus. I recently took mine from lower Alabama to Dayton Ohio. It was a very comfortable ride. I got about 5 mpg better then the window sticker said I would get.

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I wanted a Colorado with the Duramax but the boss didn't like it. We got a Tacoma TRD Pro, I loved it but she didn't like it for long. The seat bottoms are about 4 inches too short, so our legs hung way over and that gets uncomfortable real quick. We finally settled with a 2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew 4X4, she loves it and I like it enough to keep it for a few years. It's got all the power needed with the Ecobeast engine. Mileage so far with just under 4,000 on it is around 23 mpg average. Heated seats and electric boost to the heater right from startup is absolutely wonderful for her since she's always cold. And we got it for 0% financing for 5 years, I love using someone else's money to finance my stuff at no cost.

Welcome to the Forum!

Top Bottom