• ...and so much more!
  • MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I've just begun the research/design phase.

The goal: mini-split to a/c the master bedroom only, powered with single purpose solar system.

First up: learn about mini-splits, including power requirements <--doing that now
    Next: research solar components that would best fit this single use system; design system
    Then: price everything & make decisions
    Lastly: pull the trigger, gather components, hire installation.

At this point, only three things are decided on:
    1. LiFePo batteries will be used,
    2. The panel array will be ground mount, rather than roof mount
    3. The power components (batts, inverter, charge controller, etc) will all be outside on the covered deck, in a vented insulated structure. Might integrate a small fan, to keep the structure cooled a bit. Well, as much as 100F air can cool off anything. Pffft.

As this project evolves, I'll add updates and pics to this thread -
    and as always, all thoughts/comments welcome. Thanks!

Edit to add: It might be I can run the whole shebang DC... still researching that.
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I've just begun the research/design phase.

The goal: mini-split to a/c the master bedroom only, powered with single purpose solar system.

First up: learn about mini-splits, including power requirements <--doing that now
    Next: research solar components that would best fit this single use system; design system
    Then: price everything & make decisions
    Lastly: pull the trigger, gather components, hire installation.

At this point, only three things are decided on:
    1. LiFePo batteries will be used,
    2. The panel array will be ground mount, rather than roof mount
    3. The power components (batts, inverter, charge controller, etc) will all be outside on the covered deck, in a vented insulated structure. Might integrate a small fan, to keep the structure cooled a bit. Well, as much as 100F air can cool off anything. Pffft.

As this project evolves, I'll add updates and pics to this thread -
    and as always, all thoughts/comments welcome. Thanks!
    Next up: mini split for the battery enclosure...

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Is this going to be a "backup" system?
    If so/or not, how long will it need to be able to run?
    Primarily backup. We have gens that can handle the central a/c, and one window air unit, (as long as fuel is available, etc)..and this would be used for sleeping (so gens dont have to run at night)

I'd like at least a 3-day 24/7 capacity; biggest cost will likely be in batteries.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Solar power for master bedroom?
    Would think most activity there would be in the dark of night...
    But what do I know.
    couch.gif

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Let’s talk. I’m into both big time. 25Kw solar and 3 mini’s I installed myself. SEER’s way over 20.
    There are a few catches on dealing with clouds and night time. DM me and we can talk
    Boy howdy I'll take you up on that offer.
    Heading offline for the night - will type & send in the morning.
    Thanks! :)

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Keeping this in the forum also -

I designed/had installed a small system up on the mountain - 3K array, 24v, schneider 2400w inverter, literal ton of rolls surrette lead acid batts - all installed 2016. LOTS of improvements in the solar game since then...and the next time I use a lead-acid will be never.

It might be that 'solar mini split' is a misleading term for what I want to do.

The only one I've found so far (on youtube) is an E04 or something like that, that "runs" on ac or dc - but it's solar (dc) in the sunny daytime, then back on ac for cloudy/overnights - and that isn't really what I was thinking.

I'd like a split that can run on dc all the time. If no such puppy exists - I might go with a dc window air... if those exist. LOL And if they dont - I'll keep thinking.

The room size is 18x18

Reactions: gll

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Primarily backup. We have gens that can handle the central a/c, and one window air unit, (as long as fuel is available, etc)..and this would be used for sleeping (so gens dont have to run at night)

I'd like at least a 3-day 24/7 capacity; biggest cost will likely be in batteries.
    3 day for the entire house? , just a Window unit? What is the average daily kWH usage for your house?

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Just roughing it, if you could get by with a 5000btu unit, should average 500w. If night-time only, figure 10 hours, or 5kwh. A single 5kw battery should go nearly 3 nights.

If there are 12v ACs, they are probably RV related. Even there, my brother has decided to adapt a window unit with inverter using an old roof air housing as his MH 2nd unit, rather than pay the price for a new roof air.

In your case, 100ah 48v battery, inverter and charge controller (or an all-in-one) using a window air like the Midea U

Midea 8,000 BTU U-Shaped Smart Inverter Window Air Conditioner –Cools up to 350 Sq. Ft., Ultra Quiet with Open Window Flexibility, Works with Alexa/Google Assistant, 35% Energy Savings, Remote Control https://a.co/d/hT8kjBX

or better, something like this

GE Profile ClearView Window Air Conditioner 6,100 BTU, WiFi Enabled, Ultra Quiet for Small Rooms, Full Window View with Easy Installation, Energy-Efficient Cooling, 6K Window AC Unit, White https://a.co/d/cPt9ILq

might be a way to go...

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Just roughing it, if you could get by with a 5000btu unit, should average 500w. If night-time only, figure 10 hours, or 5kwh. A single 5kw battery should go nearly 3 nights.

If there are 12v ACs, they are probably RV related. Even there, my brother has decided to adapt a window unit with inverter using an old roof air housing as his MH 2nd unit, rather than pay the price for a new roof air.

In your case, 100ah 48v battery, inverter and charge controller (or an all-in-one) using a window air like the Midea U

Midea 8,000 BTU U-Shaped Smart Inverter Window Air Conditioner –Cools up to 350 Sq. Ft., Ultra Quiet with Open Window Flexibility, Works with Alexa/Google Assistant, 35% Energy Savings, Remote Control https://a.co/d/hT8kjBX

or better, something like this

GE Profile ClearView Window Air Conditioner 6,100 BTU, WiFi Enabled, Ultra Quiet for Small Rooms, Full Window View with Easy Installation, Energy-Efficient Cooling, 6K Window AC Unit, White https://a.co/d/cPt9ILq

might be a way to go...
    Thanks - I'll check those out. Not sure I want something WiFi enabled or that can talk to Google, iykwim.

Kinda have a love/hate relationship with inverters. Had 2 fail on me...which is why I'm leanin towards DC, if possible... a bare bones set-up.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    You'll need enough solar panels to be at least triple the amount of power you are planning on consuming since it's only full power for a few hours a day at best, plus enough to not only charge up the batteries, but to provide extra power to run the AC unit while sunny.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    You'll need enough solar panels to be at least triple the amount of power you are planning on consuming since it's only full power for a few hours a day at best, plus enough to not only charge up the batteries, but to provide extra power to run the AC unit while sunny.
    Yep. :)

Top Bottom