• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matt640h

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    I mostly shoot pistols and rifles, but wouldn't mind busting some clays every once in a while.

Thanks
    Hurley's Gold

matt640h

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Hey folks,
    I've got a follow up question. What about ranges that allow FMJ rifle rounds? I went to Quail Creek and it is a great range but they don't allow FMJ rifle rounds.

Thanks,
    Matt

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Hey folks,
    I've got a follow up question. What about ranges that allow FMJ rifle rounds? I went to Quail Creek and it is a great range but they don't allow FMJ rifle rounds.

Thanks,
    Matt

There are not many outdoor ranges around the Keller area, that aren't private anyways. Quail Creek is the only one that I know of, but they don't have any trap there, unless that's changed over the summer.

There is a place on NorthWest HWY that will do it, but 20" barrels or longer only (I know I know, I was there and wanted to use the semi 930 for fun and they kicked me off). There also the place south of Fort Worth, but the name slipped my mind, I think it's Alpine. If you are willing to take a trip of about 45 minutes, you can look into Parker County Sportsman club in Poolville... Phenomenal price, but it's private.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    There is Elm Fork. It's in Dallas, but with light traffic I get there in about 20 minutes. FMJ is okay on the 50 yard range and the tactical range (30 yards) but no FMJ on the 100 yard rifle range. They do have skeet, trap 5 stand and sporting clays. I shoot there quite a bit.

Elm Fork Shooting Sports

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    over penetration/ricochet is what I always assumed... I suppose for those times you don't hit what your shooting at?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

Tex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    DFW
    As mentioned-

• Quail Creek at I-35 and FM 1171. Nice outdoor range, generally plenty of lanes available. Relatively well kept and decently staffed. I wish that I had know about them when they still had the trap and skeet field functioning.

• Alpine range, southeast of I-35 and I-20 around Everman. I've only been there once to shoot trap, but it seemed like a pretty decent place. It was busy but we were able to get on a trap without a problem. As I recall, you can buy a box of clays and shoot them off of their manual trap for free. The clays weren't Walmart prices, but they weren't ridiculous, so if you just want to go have some fun with a buddy and don't mind operating a spring trap then it is good cheap entertainment. I can't speak to their rifle or pistol range, but I do remember it being fairly large I think.

• Shoot Smart at I-35 between Heritage Trace and Golden Triangle. VERY nice new indoor facility. Always busy when I've gone, but I've never had to wait past just getting through the check-in line. Fair prices and comparable to the local competition, but way above average facilities. They also have "private suites" which are separated from the regular lanes where they allow things such as drawing from a holster and rapid fire. The staff has always been very nice and helpful when I've gone. One time I took my Kahr K9 with a freshly installed set of CT laser grips that had not been sighted in yet when I realized that I had accidentally brought the tool for the CT grips on my Kimber instead (different size). I asked the range officer if they had a tool I could borrow and he instead took my pistol to their in-house gunsmith who bore sighted it for me free of charge and it was dead on at defensive range. I'll likely be going there this weekend to make use of my last Groupon deal that I got when they had one.

• Elm Fork on Luna road between 114 and 635 (just north of Northwest Highway 348). This is a huge place with all kinds of trap, skeet, sporting clays, five stand, rifle, pistol, you name it. I used to go shoot trap there but if I went by myself, I could never get anybody to pull for me and they always just wanted to put me on a practice trap pulling for myself, which just isn't remotely the same. They are also on the high side of prices at $17.99 for rifle/pistol and $8.95/round of trap. I'm sorry, but for $8.95 a round, somebody can operate the trap for me. I've been to places that were $4/round with more service.

• Bass Pro in Grapevine. Typical indoor 7-8 lane range. Almost always busy in the evenings and on weekends, generally with a significant wait. They used to be $8 for an hour on the range when I first started going there about five years ago and the last time I knew, I think that they were up to about $18 for an hour! For an indoor range, I'd go to Shoot Smart over them in a heartbeat.

• Eagle Gun Range in Lewisville at I-35 and Valley Ridge. Another brand new indoor facility. I've only been there once, shortly after they opened and the place was packed but beyond the initial check-in, we didn't have to wait more than a few minutes. I believe they have something like 24 lanes, which is 2-3 times what all of the other indoor ranges that I've been to in the area have. The entryway was literally so full of people that we almost couldn't move for the 15 minutes that it took to get through check-in though.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom