• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wbblazer90

Nov 18, 2014
    I’m a revolver guy. I like having new manufacturers in the game. However, for the price point, I’d rather get another nice Sw 686 or gp100.

35 Whelen

Jan 10, 2010
    North Texas
    It is a good utility revolver. People who only shoot at the range and other such controlled conditions don't understand the benefit of fixed sights. HOWEVER, the grip kills it. Those birds head grips are certainly kewl looking, but suck for controlling the recoil of a revolver.

Last edited:

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I enjoy shooting my Henry rifles but I see nothing about their revolvers to interest me getting one.

35 Whelen

Jan 10, 2010
    North Texas
    what advantage do fixed sights have over adjustable sights?
    The biggest advantage is they force us to learn to shoot properly. Adjustable sights are crutches that allow us to have and . maintain bad shooting habits.
    Second they're far more rugged and foolproof that adjustable sights.

35 Whelen

Jan 10, 2010
    North Texas
    They're not bad if you use them right. Not sure what you mean by "controlling the recoil"

Birdshead grips concentrate the recoil into a small area of the palm of our hands. They're also not good for heavy recoiling revolvers. That's why we don't see them on large caliber, heavy recoiling hunting revolvers.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Durability. I've had my model 66 sights get bumped off zero. I'm also slightly faster picking up the sights on my 65 than i was with my 66.
    yea idk man. Having to develop specific loads just to get fixed sights where they should be hitting is a big turn off. Ill take the adjustables unless its on a stubby

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    yea idk man. Having to develop specific loads just to get fixed sights where they should be hitting is a big turn off. Ill take the adjustables unless its on a stubby
    A good, well made revolver should shoot pretty much everything to POA. My 65-2 shoots everything from 125gr .357 to 148gr wadcutters nearly identically out to 25 yards.

My pre model 10 shoots pretty much everything the same

My 66 only needed to be zeroed twice, once when i first got it, and again when it got knocked off.

My 25 shoots everything pretty much the same, save for some 200gr cowboy loads.

Last edited:

35 Whelen

Jan 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Most of my handguns have fixed sights and as long as I use a weight bullet that close to the original load {158 gr. in 38 Spec/.357, 250 gr. I'm 44 Spec, 250 gr. in 45 Colt, etc} I've had no problem getting these guns to shoot to the sights even out as far as 75 yds.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    A good, well made revolver should shoot pretty much everything to POA. My 65-2 shoots everything from 125gr .357 to 148gr wadcutters nearly identically out to 25 yards.

My pre model 10 shoots pretty much everything the same

My 66 only needed to be zeroed twice, once when i first got it, and again when it got knocked off.

My 25 shoots everything pretty much the same, save for some 200gr cowboy loads.
    Not my experience at all with fixed sights. I cant go from 185s to 250s in any of my 45 lc revolvers. Cant go from 125 to 158s in 357s etc.

Adjustable sights lets me shoot any bullet weights at any velocity (within reason) to POA. Thats something that I need for my use cases

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Not my experience at all with fixed sights. I cant go from 185s to 250s in any of my 45 lc revolvers. Cant go from 125 to 158s in 357s etc.

Adjustable sights lets me shoot any bullet weights at any velocity (within reason) to POA. Thats something that I need for my use cases

What guns? A nice old school smith or colt is going to do a lot better than a Taurus, rossi, or uberti as far as sight regulation goes

35 Whelen

Jan 10, 2010
    North Texas

Definitely not, the 45 Colt is probably the worst in the world about POI's changing when you switch to lighter bullets.

The question is, why dick around with a bunch of different bullet weights and twiddle with your sights?

Top Bottom