New bill: "... recognition of a nonresident license to carry a concealed handgun"

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    I have no issue with your service time allowing a pass on the shooting qual but it still does not help you know Texas law, neither does holding a Fla license.
    In my family's case, I got the Texas CHL first, and I keep up to date with the laws. When the rest of the family wanted to get licensed, there happened to be a friend who recommended the Utah CHL... Now I personally had an little issue with that, since I like my state enough that I would rather do it here, but there were a few good points such as a few more states that had reciprocity, it was cheaper, etc... The range I think would've been good for a couple of them, but it's not like the Texas range is THAT hard to do, or even that relevant in a real bad situation. I keep them as up to date on the Texas laws as I can, and they can shoot as much as they like at the range, anyway...

R
    Lynx Defense

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The reason i dont have a Texas CHL and the reason i wanted the FL CWP was because after i took the Texas class and paid all my money the state decieded that they needed a Psyc Eval since i applied days after i got out of the Army. I took them my military eval and they said that wouldnt work. I would have to pay a STATE Shrink to do the eval because they need the blurb "Clear of all mental defects that would prevent safe and proper handling of a firearm." Because the Military eval didnt say those exact words, which are implied on any military eval that states you are clear, the state wanted me to pay one of thier shrinks $900 more to get my CHL.

While I don't know the specifics of your situation, the facts you set out do not meet the requirements of the law. There are also many former military folks who never needed a "pysch eval" because of when they got out of the army.

There is something specific to the law that made you ineligible.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Nothing in the law made me ineligible I know several vets that all got thee same spiel from the dps licensing office in austin at the same time. Its all about the money or they would have taken military or VA evals and not required STATE docs to do them.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Nothing in the law made me ineligible I know several vets that all got thee same spiel from the dps licensing office in austin at the same time. Its all about the money or they would have taken military or VA evals and not required STATE docs to do them.

Negative. Nothing in the law requires a pysch eval for those discharging from the army. There is something in your background. I am sorry that upsets you, but that is just the truth.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    To add a little fuel to the fire, anyone that would tell you to get a " brain scan" needs to have their own fuckin head examined.
    In reguards to the DPS issue you had and the others you mentioned, do you or any of the other Vets have some kind of "declaired" mental illness?
    I dont thing people should be denied their rights when they haven't been legally diagnosed with a mental illness.
    Lets refer to the shootings that loughner conducted out in Arizona. This SOB was reported , by his school, to the Pima county sheriff for violent mental issues. Since then he had several other complaints from people who said he threatened them.
    Has anyone even made such complaints againt you Sgt.? I wouldnt know but I would guess never!
    Myself, I know several Vets that have a little trouble with post war stress. Most of their trouble involves sleeping. I can honestly say that doesnt make me feel threatened by vets with those issues. Hell, when you make a career of getting shot at, that would make me have a few issues myself. Same thing goes for cops. Nobody can tell me cops dont have some issues relating to their line of work. I never worry about a cop going psyco and shooting at me for no good reason at all.
    Like the majority of the population, people have their fears. Some people have actually lived their fears and I dont think that makes them any less stable than I am. Lots of people think im "off". Some people avoid me as much as possible. That doesnt mean i'll go postal on a crowd of people though.
    The requirement for the Texas CHL is a joke! That in it self is the reason people get nonresident license. The Charles Cotton bunch of groupies like the Texas CHL the way it is because it is elitist! People feel empowered when they have a gun. The elitist BS doesnt want just any average person carrying and the amount of Texas licensed CHL holders shows this to be true. A state with a population of 25 million that only has 400,000 CHL holders proves the point.
    Indiana has a population of 6 million. They have 300,000 citizens with handgun permits! 300,000 Hoosiers have gun permits
    To conclude, nothing in Texas will change untill "WE" understand we have to get involved! Depending on the people who have been " MILKING" Texas right to carry laws is the reason were in this mess!

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Hey Sgt. im happy you got your Florida License. I think it's funny that you did that and im glad you could. It's like saying" In YOUR FACE" to the DPS!!
    HaHa!
    moony-1.gif

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Negative. Nothing in the law requires a pysch eval for those discharging from the army. There is something in your background. I am sorry that upsets you, but that is just the truth.

If there was something in my background that would prevent me from obtaining a CHL dont you think that my Top Secret clearance would be revoked and that i wouldnt be working on DoD contracts? It has nothing to do with my background, in fact DPS had to get federal permission just to run my background check, they needed an access code to get post the security clearance.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    If there was something in my background that would prevent me from obtaining a CHL dont you think that my Top Secret clearance would be revoked and that i wouldnt be working on DoD contracts? It has nothing to do with my background, in fact DPS had to get federal permission just to run my background check, they needed an access code to get post the security clearance.

Sure they did..........

Tell you what, can you show me in the government code where DPS can require a STATE administered pysch evaluation on a discharged vet soley because he was discharged?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sakorey
    Top Bottom