• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GotAmmo21

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    pasadena texas
    Hi guys im new on this forum and i need some help i want to start hunting deer,elk and mabye moose and mule deers, but i want one caliber that would be good for all three of them ive got it narrowed down to 270 win ,300 win mag ,and 308 win and the rifle used will be a savage edge (theyre on sale at carters) also im in need of a good scope thats under $300 thats at least 1x15x30mm and a good spot to hunt as well i dont wanna pay boo-koo money to go shoot fish in a barrel i wanna go out into the wood on some state land and shoot for free (beside the hunting liscence) and some where thats close to pasadena texas would be a plus also does anyone know of a public outdoor range thats got 600+yrd rifle ranges (again near pasadena) thanks for any and all imput guys
    Hurley's Gold

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Back to front I don't think there are any 600 yd ranges near Pasadena. You can't get good hits with a $300.00 scope at 600 yds. A good 1-15 30mm scope will run you $1000. That's ok because a hunt will run you $3000-7000. You can find moose in Canada and elk as close as New Mexico, Colorado and Idaho and Montana. Deer AR plentiful here but there is almost no public land. Other bad news. A 308 will work but a 300 winmag better. 338 and 375HH are better still for moose. It's a big critter.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I assume you plan on hunting outside of the state. Generally, you won't find anything in Texas that requires more than a 30-06 or 7mm. I agree w/Mwood that if you are looking to bag a moose I would go with a 300 win mag too. If you want to hunt big game in Texas on public land, you will need to fill out an app. and hope you are selected for a public hunt. Getting a good hunting oppurtunity on public land in Texas is like trying to win the lottery. They have tons of applicants as well as others on standby, waiting to fill an empty spot. There are a bunch of rules and regs that make your hunt a bit inconveneint, including weapon selection(some require bows or shotguns only), proper attire(like 200+ square inches of blaze orange worn), NO ALCOHOL whatsoever(a big one for me), and many many more. I hunt on a friends family property in south Texas and have found that even a .243 or .257 is sufficient for whitetail deer or hogs. I try to setup my rifles for their "practical" uses like shots less than 300 yds. I rarely even get a shot over 200, so why get some super high powered sniper scope to shoot at something 75yds away. If you have never been hunting before, I would recommend a simple weekend deer hunt sometime next season. Open ground stalking requires a lot of skill and high end equipment and ground blind hunting requires patience and commitment. Do you want to hunt just to get out and do it, or are you looking for a trophy ? I hunt to put meat in the freezer and help manage the property and population while enjoying a few cocktails or beers with some great friends. A big game hunt always requires a big wallet too, so the equipment cost should just be a drop in the bucket as far as your overall investment. One good hunt and you'll live for the season, one bad hunt and you may decide that it's just not for you. Hope the info helps a bit, good luck with whatever you decide to do - Texmex

jedwil

2d Amendment Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Hilll Country
    Hi guys im new on this forum and i need some help i want to start hunting deer,elk and mabye moose and mule deers, but i want one caliber that would be good for all three of them ive got it narrowed down to 270 win ,300 win mag ,and 308 win and the rifle used will be a savage edge (theyre on sale at carters) also im in need of a good scope thats under $300 thats at least 1x15x30mm and a good spot to hunt as well i dont wanna pay boo-koo money to go shoot fish in a barrel i wanna go out into the wood on some state land and shoot for free (beside the hunting liscence) and some where thats close to pasadena texas would be a plus also does anyone know of a public outdoor range thats got 600+yrd rifle ranges (again near pasadena) thanks for any and all imput guys
    You might check out this recent thread in this forum:http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/texas-hunting-fishing/20534-tpwd-public-hunting-land.html

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    so you want to hunt...shoot at 600 yard targets and run SHTF scenarios? You need to befriend someone who has a large chunk of land and stay good friends with him.
    For the above I recommend moving to CO, NM, AZ, MT or some other western state with lots of BLM land. If you want to do that in TX you'll have to buy a couple thousand acres yourself :p

GotAmmo21

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    pasadena texas
    For the above I recommend moving to CO, NM, AZ, MT or some other western state with lots of BLM land. If you want to do that in TX you'll have to buy a couple thousand acres yourself :p

i hate to sound cheesy but texas is my home and when its about to be over run by the cartel members and obama wont send military over to help beause ''its racist to kill people who are just taking back something that we stole from them'' i will be one of the people shooting back at them sum' bitches

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    you dont necessarily need a ton of money to have some fun hunting a 300 dollar gun and a 150 dollar scope will kill almost anything in texas. yeah a 1000 dollar scope will work and maybe last 30 years and never fog up but a 150 dollar scope will get you hunting for many years. a .308 will take anything in texas hands down. get out and talk to family or friends who hunt chances are they know some one who has land to hunt on. and if you dont end up liking deer hunting try dove hunting, its twice the fun and half the cost.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RafaelQ
    Top Bottom