• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That's because you were more concerned with proving you were right than what I was actually saying.
    Target Sports

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Actually, I think it is a fault of the cartridge. My opinion about the BLK for hunting its based on what I've seen in the field when hunting hogs. I'm sure it fine for clearing houses, punching paper and etc. Maybe it works for deer at close range. But my experience with the BLK and hunting is based solely on hogs. Ever time I saw one used, it took multiple shots to bring the hog down. And even at close range. Like the .223/5.56, the BLK doesn't leave a lot of room for error. I think that's why people have abandoned it for hunting and moved on to better hunting calibers like 6.8, 6.5G, 458 and etc (for the AR15 frame). My experience is also based on hunting during the day, dusk or early morning hours and not at night which increases the potential for error. Case capacity for the BLK isn't much compared to established hunting cartridges. That's the problem. Sure it can work people like it for the ability to run suppressed plus the limited recoil. I just feel there's better calibers available when hunting with an AR.

I've killed several pigs and a few deer with my blackout SBR. I handload and get 2315 fps out of my 8" barrel with the 110 TAC TX bullets.

Most of the animals I have shot dropped in their tracks with through the shoulder shots.

I'm not saying it's the best caliber ever but I've been very successful with mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    That's because you were more concerned with proving you were right than what I was actually saying.

Actually, no. Provided an opinion about the caliber based on my actually experience with it plus addressed the hype associated with the BLK. I could've just said your caliber choice sucks. But, that's not my style.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Hype died long ago. Anybody claiming a need to "address the hype" is simply making excuses for their bias. I'm sorry you or your friends couldn't put the bullet where it needed to be and that you feel a cartridge that doesn't suit your needs couldn't possibly suit the needs of anyone else.

Reminds me of people claiming you need tracking dogs if you hunt deer with a .243...

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Hype died long ago. Anybody claiming a need to "address the hype" is simply making excuses for their bias. I'm sorry you or your friends couldn't put the bullet where it needed to be and that you feel a cartridge that doesn't suit your needs couldn't possibly suit the needs of anyone else.

How long was that shot? How many rounds did it take for you to put the hog down? Apparently the hype is still alive well. Funny you accuse me of bias when you took a shot on a hog 240 yards away and you needed four shots bring down it down. My comments merely confirmed the problems you experienced. You summered it up best when you stated you would've brought a .308 if you'd known the shots would be that far. On that, we can agree.

Your comments on bias is like the pot calling the kettle black. My comments weren't like some of your "Drive By" where you provide no useful information. I confirmed your experience by stated what I've seen in the field with that caliber.

BTW, I've never needed four shots to bring bring down a hog. When hunting, I bring enough gun or don't take the shot. I would've never taken that shot, knowing the outcome would most likely be the same as what you experienced. There's a big difference between being bias and having personal knowledge. Or can't you figure that out?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    How long was that shot? How many rounds did it take for you to put the hog down? Apparently the hype is still alive well. Funny you accuse me of bias when you took a shot on a hog 240 yards away and you needed four shots bring down it down. My comments merely confirmed the problems you experienced. You summered it up best when you stated you would've brought a .308 if you'd known the shots would be that far. On that, we can agree.

Your comments on bias is like the pot calling the kettle black. My comments weren't like some of your "Drive By" where you provide no useful information. I confirmed your experience by stated what I've seen in the field with that caliber.

BTW, I've never needed four shots to bring bring down a hog. When hunting, I bring enough gun or don't take the shot. I would've never taken that shot, knowing the outcome would most likely be the same as what you experienced. There's a big difference between being bias and having personal knowledge. Or can't you figure that out?

I guess you didn't read the post your talking about? Did you ignore the part where I said I planned on 200 yard shot max? Did you pay attention when I said I wasn't sure of the holdover and had to guess? How about when I explained I'd planned on shots within 100 yards?

Did you read the part where the hog was dropped mid stride at 150 yards?

Or that the first shots hit no vital areas?

Or are you just ignoring all that because you'd prefer to be an ass?

It's pretty obvious that you pick and choose the evidence your willing to accept and have no problem ignoring anything posted by anyone that doesn't fit your opinion.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    300BO Dropped hog at 150 yards with shot placed in the general area of the shoulder.

Guess it must have tripped and broke its neck.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Like I said..., you're like the pot calling the kettle black. Not going to continue with this pissing match.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    My good friend who kills deer for meat from his ranch in Mt. Home and has been a handloader for over 40 years, swears by the 6.5 Creedmore. It's accurate and deadly and he's been taking deer with it for several years. His opinion, which I value, is the 6.5 is a very accurate and deadly bullet for Texas deer. The Creedmore or Grendel should do the trick for the Hill Country deer.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My .02 times 2.

6.8 SPC is my new darling round.
    same size, weigh, dimensions as a 5.56 rifle with way more oomph when it impacts.
    Hey! It's a .270 hole. Nuff said.

If you move up to AR10 size and weight why choose anything other than a .308 for TX hunting?
    Ya, ya....6.5 CrMr is flatter when shooting Dalhart prairie dogs at a half Km. Meh.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    145gr BO PB cast @ 2150 fps & 100 yds.
    168gr 308W GC cast @ 2400 fps & 200 yds.
    Your choice. 308 knocked the steel over, BO rings it pretty good.

Attachments

• TgtGfx37.jpg
      TgtGfx37.jpg
      628.2 KB · Views: 309
    • TgtGfx14.jpg
      TgtGfx14.jpg
      195.8 KB · Views: 327

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I'm rolling with the 6.5 Creedmoor. It will drop anything in Texas. If I go elsewhere, the 30-06 is on the ready.

I don't need a big slug to do damage. Last several were shot through the heart with the '06. The lighter the recoil, the more accurate the shot.

My decision now, is whether to continue using the Hornady SST bullet? Or the new ELD-X hunting bullet?

I load the SST bullet for me and my kids hunting rifles. They have been fantastic, with very short runs after shot, if they run at all.

But the ELD-X for 6.5 allegedly has superior ballistics. Not sure I need it. I will not be shooting over 250 yds in Texas.

Looking forward to finishing up the 6.5 build. Maybe this summer.

Last edited:

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm rolling with the 6.5 Creedmoor. It will drop anything in Texas. If I go elsewhere, the 30-06 is on the ready.

I don't need a big slug to do damage. Last several were shot through the heart. The lighter the recoil, the more accurate the shot.

My decision now, is whether to continue using the Hornady SST bullet? Or the new ELD-X hunting bullet?

I load the SST bullet for me and my kids hunting rifles. They have been fantastic, with very short runs after shot, if they run at all.

But the ELD-X for 6.5 allegedly has superior ballistics. Not sure I need it. I will not be shooting over 250 yds in Texas.

The ELD-X is a great bullet! But if your not going over 250yrds I wouldn't invest your time fixing something that isn't broke. Now, If you were hunting say... out to longer ranges... than I would definitely take advantage of the the better BC the ELD-X has.

Top Bottom