• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drj3828

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    I have a Verizon wireless USB Modem UMW190 and I would like to get a router that this thing will plug into so I can use the three lap tops in my house on it. Anybody got any ideals on what brand and model number to get. I went to Best Buy and got one but it was not compatable with the modem!

Any help would be a great deal of thanks!

DRJ
    Capitol Armory ad

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    What sort of Modem?
    I usually suggest a Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GL, the latter having higher quality internals. The GL also takes DD-WRT easily, which is third party firmware that is far superior to the stock Linksys crap.

Eli

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Ditto on the Linksys WRT54G...excellent router from a great company. Don't know how computer/hardware savvy you are, but make sure to utilize all the proper security settings.

drj3828

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    The problem I run into is that the info says nothing about a UMW190. We just got it about a week ago as an upgrade for the old one. We did try a net gear I think and it would not work.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    are you talking about the little cellular air card things?
    [url]http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Pantech-UMW190-Global-Mobile-Broadband-Modem-coming-to-Verizon-article-a_6592.html[/URL]

if so, you are going to have to use it normally on one pc and then share the internet connection over a standard router / LAN.
    alternatively, you may be able to setup an old desktop ou nmay have int he garage to be a router yourself, and that will allow you to plug in the modem to that.

i havent actually used that type of mode yet. how is the bandwidth i was thinking of getting one for home use. would you recomend it? (aside from the overy difficult routing issue...)

drj3828

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    Yes it is like and air card but plugs into the USB port, It is super fast we use it on my wife's laptop and I have a ATT one that is slower than a model T.

paraordp12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Galveston
    Its very difficult. What is your level Of computer skills and networking? it can be done. Since its and upgrade why not get the Router that Verizon sells now that hookup 4 computers to a cell connection.Verizon Wireless - Mobile Broadband - Products If you know computers what you have to do is create an ad hoc network and turn on Internet connection sharing. This is easier if all machines are running vista.

Top Bottom