• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I didn’t mean peaceful as in the opposite of violent I meant non peaceful in a way that would disrupt other student's or interrupt their learning which would be breaking the rules of UT Austin.
    Yes, I agree.
    But from what I saw these particular protestors were not engaging in any disruptive behavior until they were getting pushed around.
    It is understandable that a significant LEO presence is required just in case things do go south when initiated by protesters like we saw getting out of hand at Columbia & USC.
    And we certainly don’t want the scumbag “Antifa” elements starting any crap in what otherwise is a legitimate exercise of the 1st Amendment.
    Of course none of us were there and could not see everything that was going on.

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Look specifically at 64/65 ( I was in SF in 65). Then look at the groups organizing.
    Yeah, I saw some anti war protests when I was at UT in the 1960s.
    The SDS in some instances created a lot of violence and encouraged a few to radicalize themselves into domestic terrorism.
    After the fall of the USSR a generation ago, it was revealed that the KGB was funneling money into the SDS to stir up trouble all over the country.
    I think some of the Antifa and BLM types today are on the Russian payroll to continue with that “tradition“ of political agitation.

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Were it is an organic local protest I'd err on the side of letting them protest a bit more. Protests that are part of profesional coordinated, and planned agitation, I gotta side with erring toward curtailment prior to asymptomatic insanity.
    Agreed, except suppressing a planned protest prior to the actual event is like being judged guilty preemptively?

That’s like liberal states banning MSRs for everyone.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    I was under the impression that this group of protestors believe that speech is violence. For example, if you say Trump was a great President or DEI is BS then you were causing psychological harm by your words and that this was violence. I would think that chanting from the River to The Sea and what it implies would be violent speech as well.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    "If it takes a bloodbath, let's get it over with. No more appeasement" Governor Ronald Reagan. Stated at his broadcast interview concerning the 4 days of death and destruction ( peaceful protests) at UCB.

This started with a peaceful rally over the Arab- Israeli conflict. The battle cry of the students was " let's take the park". No Palestinian flags, no call for death to Israel, just a bunch of peaceful students. Then it got ugly.

It appears our Governor will not allow it to get to that point.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I was under the impression that this group of protestors believe that speech is violence. For example, if you say Trump was a great President or DEI is BS then you were causing psychological harm by your words and that this was violence. I would think that chanting from the River to The Sea and what it implies would be violent speech as well.

That only applies to speech they disagree with. That's how they can claim actual physical violence and even murder of those they oppose is "legitimate protest". Because everything must be viewed through a lens of whether they agree with it or not.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Only Abbott and DeSantis didn't sign? I didn't see the explanation for those two unexpected holdouts?

Could be that because the ANG in Texas and Florida is geared more toward actual air defense, there weren't any units that were targeted for absorption into the Space Force. Considering the USSF's actual mission, it would most likely be intel and cyber units that were eligible. The whole idea is stupid though - it's not as if those National Guard personnel would suddenly become full time Space Force members if their units got absorbed. Those slots would have to be filled with active duty personnel anyway. Or are they proposing starting a "Space National Guard"? If so...it would logically fall under the command of state governors.

x12aesq

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2009
    On US 77 kind of north of I-10
    Free speech is speech. Actions may be speech. If I refuse to participate in a government mandated assembly, for example, that probably counts as free speech.

Where actions or speech violate other statutes, say, playing a drum in a library, free speech is not implicated, the proscribed actions are.

I may have a right to speak; I do, in fact. I do not have a right to speak in your living room, no matter how righteous my speech; you have the right to declare me a trespasser and have me removed.

As an aside, I doubt whether any of those roughly 50% present who were students could articulate why they were there or what, exactly, they were saying.

Top Bottom