• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Barrel marking has it at 3” shells. So it can take up to 3” or smaller and not 3.5”shells?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly. I use 2 3/4 shells in my 3" marked barrels - Don't think I've ever shot 3" shells out of them.

edit. F'king Ninja.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    I've got a couple of good double barreled shotguns - they're definitely field guns. I might not be pushing down a barb wire fence with them, but they get used.
    I saw a hunter do that with a Wesley Richards, and then proceeded to drop it. He could not hit shit with it. We were pheasant hunting and when we got back to the barn I got his phone number. Gave it to my well healed friend. The gun ended up in a good home.

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    Buddy has a Drake. It's a great field gun.

I have one of their Bobwhite SxS. It gets a fair amount of time in the field. It's fun to mix it up a bit.

Good for sporting clays and most anything in the field.

stuhoevel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    San Antonio
    I have a valmet o/u and I just looked. I do t see a barrel mark for shell size but we run 2-3/4" through it. When my grandfather had his place he had 3-1/2" magnum loads. We loaded those shells, the gun closed and we shot them. I had three 3-1/2" shells rattling around my truck, and I shot those in it last week. I wouldn't run the longer shells on a regular basis, but I know it will shoot them.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    Firing a shell longer than the recommended length marked on the barrel is dangerous. A too long shell will be opening up in the forcing cone adding 500 to 1000 psi in the chamber.
    Also, shell length is measured on a fired shell not an unfixed one.

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    Found an CZ Drake 12 ga at a local pawnshop. It takes 3” shells. Will it take 2 3/4 shells also? For those who own this shotgun or similar shotgun, do you use it as a field gun or for sporting clays? Thanks in advance

If it's bird hunting, rabbit hunting, and such nothing is more fun than a double barrel shotty.

Autos are fine. JMB designed one of the best...

But when it comes to walking woods, fields, banks, and such I'll take a double barrel for the pure enjoyment...along with the fact that it's the best tool for the job.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    If it's bird hunting, rabbit hunting, and such nothing is more fun than a double barrel shotty.

But when it comes to walking woods, fields, banks, and such I'll take a double barrel for the pure enjoyment...along with the fact that it's the best tool for the job.

I have Benelli pump and two semi’s. I still enjoy my pump shotgun.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos

I agree with your opinion - probably why I've got several.

Top Bottom