• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Most of yall know that I have been looking at getting a bike for the past month or so and just took my MSF course about 2 weeks ago. Well today I bought my first bike. It is a 2004 Suzuki SV650S with about 10,000 miles on it and a Yoshimura exhaust and power commander. Originally I had looked at buying a new bike but decided I could get alot more bang for my buck buying used and not have to worry quite so much about potentially damaging a brand new machine. Don't get me wrong, this bike still looks like new and I don't want that to change. I got my insurance policy today and am going to finalize all the paperwork at the courthouse on Monday.

SV.jpg sv650.jpg
    Guns International

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Looks like a nice ride! You might want to keep it passenger free for a while. An extra butt on the back changes the bike handling totally.

I took mine out today in spite of the high tree pollen count. I had a great ride, did some errands and had a ball! My eyes feel like they have sand in them but it was well worth it!

Hey....straight up.....a 650 sport bike is fast. You really don't need to know HOW fast. If you're curious how fast it will go, search it on the Internet. It'll be on there somewhere. Then you can stay safe and speak of it like an expert.

May I ask how you came out on getting insurance?

Remember....NO ONE rides your bike!

Flash

Last edited:

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Looks like a nice ride! You might want to keep it passenger free for a while. An extra butt on the back changes the bike handling totally.

I took mine out today in spite of the high tree pollen count. I had a great ride, did some errands and had a ball! My eyes feel like they have sand in them but it was well worth it!

Hey....straight up.....a 650 sport bike is fast. You really don't need to know HOW fast. If you're curious how fast it will go, search it on the Internet. It'll be on there somewhere. Then you can stay safe and speak of it like an expert.

May I ask how you came out on getting insurance?

Remember....NO ONE rides your bike!

Flash

No passengers for me for at least 6 months I was thinking. I've seen 137 mph on the speedo with a realistic GPS equivalent of 131 mph online and have no plans to test that out myself anytime soon. Maybe one day down the road on a race track.

Insurance wasn't bad. Most insurance companies don't count the SV as a sport bike but instead as a commuter which I knew going into it. My yearly premium after all of my discounts was $124 through Progressive with liability, uninsured motorist, and roadside assistance. Given that I got such a good deal on the bike I didn't see any point in covering damages or theft.

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    131 might be doable stock, it will be close, but plenty fast for a first bike.
    Just make sure you always wear your gear.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Keep both wheels on the pavement for awhile. When you're ready, you should be able to clutch that one up into a wheelie. Have fun and stay safe.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Most of yall know that I have been looking at getting a bike for the past month or so and just took my MSF course about 2 weeks ago. Well today I bought my first bike. It is a 2004 Suzuki SV650S with about 10,000 miles on it and a Yoshimura exhaust and power commander. Originally I had looked at buying a new bike but decided I could get alot more bang for my buck buying used and not have to worry quite so much about potentially damaging a brand new machine. Don't get me wrong, this bike still looks like new and I don't want that to change. I got my insurance policy today and am going to finalize all the paperwork at the courthouse on Monday.
    Excellent choice, and a damn fine looking bike!

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    How many miles did you put on it today?

Only did two 15 mile rides this morning. I had plans to go see a movie at the Studio Grill in City Center around lunch and am still in Houston. I took off half the day tomorrow to go get it inspected and file the title transfer at the courthouse though so I'll get a little more time in then.

How long was it before you rode at night?

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Night is tricky for the 4 legged critters. I love night riding for peacefulness (and cooler temps especially in summer). But you have to watch out. I'd say once you get comfortable doing emergency braking, evasive maneuvers and handling your bike is a good marker. Understand though things can happen so fast you might not be able to react, just hold your breath and ride through and hope you make it out the other side.

Put your bike through the paces you did at MSF so you get a feel for how it feels under those maneuvers. Like they say when you get the cert, you are now qualified to ride in circles in a parking lot. lol It's true, you only get riding experience by riding. So, when you feel ready, go ahead :)

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I'm not trying to start night riding yet, just getting a benchmark. During one of my rides this morning I pulled into an empty parking lot by the tennis courts and practiced a little swerving. It helped but still need more practice.

Top Bottom