• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I will be headed to San Antonio this next weekend to attend my son's graduation from school. I've never spent any time in the area as an adult and am looking for suggestions for the wife and I. Thanks in advance.

ETA: I carry 24:7 so any warnings pertaining to that as well.
    DK Firearms

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Definitely the Riverwalk. Have drinks at the top of the Tower of the Americas, but don't eat at the Chart House as it's overpriced and not that good. Go to the bar and enjoy the view without being fleeced for some lousy food, plus there's much better places to eat! Obviously you won't be able to carry in the bar.

The Mission Trail, start at the Alamo then head south. Don't forget to also stop at the Mission Espada Aqueduct. No worries on the concealed weapon.

The Texas Hill Country. Get on Rt 16 west out of Helotes and eat dinner at the Old Spanish Trail in Bandera. It's about a 45-minute drive but don't go too fast as you'll miss some beautiful scenery. Probably everyone in the OST will be carrying, so don't worry about it.

For everything else, see here.

Enjoy our wonderful town!

Cheers! M2

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    The only good thing about the River Walk is that it's about the only place I know of that it's legal to wander around drinking booze.

That's one of the reasons I like the riverwalk, hadn't been there in years before we moved up here. My mother-in-law and grandmother-in-law came into town about a month or so ago and after the gun show (mil way more into guns than wife) we headed down there. I'd recommend one of those boat tour things, our driver/guide was very knowledgeable and learned a lot of cool stuff I never knew about. Also hadn't been to the Alamo since I was a young kid on a school trip, was a completely different experience for me after having served in the military, walked away feeling an immense amount of respect for those who fought there.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The Alamo's a really special place. Just FYI, they have some kind of work going on in the room where the survivors were found, so you can't go in there. Just the same, it's worth seeing.

All the times I've gone, I haven't done the audio tour. Might be worth it.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    While touristy, we still love the Riverwalk as it is a fun place to hang out! We always take folks visiting from out of town there, and they are amazed at how busy it is! Plus, the Alamo is just a block away and it is a must-see.

Taking one of the boat tours is something everyone should do once, much like eating at the top of the Tower of the Americas (despite being expensive and bland), spending an hour rotating 360° from that altitude gives an excellent panoramic view of the city is worth tolerating the food. Still, the bar offers the same view and is a lot less expensive.

Cheers! M2

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Agreed....Alamo is a must.....I enjoy taking folks to the riverwalk at night when lit, especially around the holidays. I enjoy the tower as eell, food is pricey and overrated, but the view is what you're paying for...worth it. The missions are another great choice.

bagged02

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Granbury, TX "South Ft.Worth"
    riverwalk. If your staying at a hotel be prepared to OVER PAY. I went there 10 years ago on my 21st bday and had a blast. aLMOST fell in the riverwalk water while walking back to the hotel late at night.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    The Alamo, of course. Go to the tourist shop and read the "Letter of the black bean." It's heartbreaking. Be aware that some buildings on the Missions premises have strange signs I've never seen anywhere else saying it is a federal crime to carry a firearm there, licensed or not. Keep your eyes on the doors.

The Friendly Spot is the nicest place to drink downtown and the prices are good, too. It is basically one big relaxed party. It even has a playground for kids.

dreyes89

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    Pasadena
    I lived in san Antonio for about 4 yrs and never went to the riverwalk boat ride....so that's a must...lol..also there's a ripleys believe it or not wax museum near riverwalk mall...

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Be aware that some buildings on the Missions premises have strange signs I've never seen anywhere else saying it is a federal crime to carry a firearm there, licensed or not. Keep your eyes on the doors.
    That's interesting. I thought the whole complex was owned by Texas

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The Alamo is owned by Texas, but their is several missions on the trail of missions, those are national parks.

The Mission Trail is indeed a part of the National Park Service (as noted in the link in my first post in this thread), thus making it legal to conceal carry on them as long as you have a Texas CHL; but NOT in any of the facilities (per USC 18 Sec 930)!

In other words, the law that allows concealed carry covers the park, but not the buildings!

However, also according to USC 18 930, "provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility" or "(a) person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be" (in other words, you must be informed they are a federal building) (USC 18 Sec 930(h)) !

See here for more info.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Mi Tierra's or La Magarita over in the square are worth a visit downtown.

Ripleys and Wax Museum are cool. I also like seeing the animals at Sea World but it will be hot.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth

The Texas Hill Country. Get on Rt 16 west out of Helotes and eat dinner at the Old Spanish Trail in Bandera. It's about a 45-minute drive but don't go too fast as you'll miss some beautiful scenery. Probably everyone in the OST will be carrying, so don't worry about it.

For everything else, see here.

Enjoy our wonderful town!

Cheers! M2

OST! Wow, blast from the past. I haven't been there since I lived in Bandera in 3rd grade. Definite must see.

If the Cabaret is still open maybe stay in Bandera for dance that night.

Top Bottom