• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • black_ice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2017
    So I’ve been here for 6 months and still haven’t found a place. I’m in a month to month rental in Wrights Landing currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    So I’ve been here for 6 months and still haven’t found a place. I’m in a month to month rental in Wrights Landing currently.

My wife and I spent over a year before finding our current home in Savannah. The location was a few miles from where we had originally desired to locate. Driving times and distances were an easy adjustment to make in retirement. Unfortunately interest rates changed during the time we were searching for a place.

Last edited:

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Seems to be time to reconsider your options.
    1) Enlist the assistance of a Realtor.
    2) If you’re already doing #1, either the Realtor is not doing their job properly, or you’re not properly communicating your requirements.
    3) Look elsewhere in the Houston area.
    4) Relax your requirements.
    5) Build what you want.
    6) Move back to LA.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    My son is a real estate agent and the market is pretty tough right now. Not a lot of inventory. A lot of his clients end up in new construction. But it takes work.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    My son is a real estate agent and the market is pretty tough right now. Not a lot of inventory. A lot of his clients end up in new construction. But it takes work.
    I've been in RE for years, it's a nightmare right now - and about to get a lot worse due to a couple of class action suits and the NAR settlement. You're going to have to pay your own agent, and you're going to need one more than ever!

Eli

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Cliff notes please.
    There was a class-action suit against the NAR and others over the way commissions for buyer agents are controlled. It was deemed unfair to sellers by fixing the buyer's agent commission which the seller pays.

So now, the buyer agent's commission is no longer part of the deal. If you want a real estate agent as a buyer you negotiate their commission directly with that agent. He no longer just automatically gets x%.

Now of course a buyer can include that in his calculations when making offers. Buyers can still ask for cash from the seller at closing to cover it. It just now becomes part of the deal. I suspect there will be some workarounds. Good for sellers. Bad for buyers.

It hasn't really been implemented yet, but they are working on it pretty fast.

That's my basic understanding of it.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Well at least two more considering I have one of each

Seems to be time to reconsider your options.
    1) Enlist the assistance of a Realtor.
    2) If you’re already doing #1, either the Realtor is not doing their job properly, or you’re not properly communicating your requirements.
    3) Look elsewhere in the Houston area.
    4) Relax your requirements.
    5) Build what you want.
    6) Move back to LA.
    I believe #6 is the best option for everyone.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Cliff notes please.
    Nationally, the National Association of Realtors has had a longstanding policy that the sellers pays both their agent and the buyer's agent. This was for a variety of reasons, but most importantly it helped buyers have their own advocate in a transaction and lenders historically refused to finance (and sometimes prohibited the buyer paying) the commission.
    Here in Texas, it was structured that the seller paid their agent the full commission (typically 6% but negotiable), and the seller's broker would 'split' the commission with the buyer's broker.
    Unfortunately, in certain other states, the Listing Agreement stated the seller (not the seller's broker) would pay the buyer's broker, and a bunch of dirtbag lawyers saw the opportunity line their pockets at the expense of consumer protection and advocacy, and sued.
    There was a class-action suit against the NAR and others over the way commissions for buyer agents are controlled. It was deemed unfair to sellers by fixing the buyer's agent commission which the seller pays.

So now, the buyer agent's commission is no longer part of the deal. If you want a real estate agent as a buyer you negotiate their commission directly with that agent. He no longer just automatically gets x%.

Now of course a buyer can include that in his calculations when making offers. Buyers can still ask for cash from the seller at closing to cover it. It just now becomes part of the deal. I suspect there will be some workarounds. Good for sellers. Bad for buyers.

It hasn't really been implemented yet, but they are working on it pretty fast.

That's my basic understanding of it.
    Buyer's agent commission has always been negotiable, and oftentimes increased to entice buyer's agents to sell properties - which is problematic.
    Sellers can still pay a buyer's agent commission, but it is prohibited to say so in the Multiple Listing Service (MLS)!
    One of the biggest changes is a Buyer's Representation Agreement is going to be required before a buyer's agent shows a property.

This is ultimately going to hurt consumers, listing agents (which have a smaller workload) are going to keep getting what they've been getting in many markets but buyers are going to want to 'save 3%' by either not having their own agent or using a cheap agent. Problem is, in Real Estate Agency, you get what you pay for! Those of us that are competent and do good work will continue on - although I'm already doing ag land and commercial instead of single-family - and hopefully make a good living.

Eli

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    There's a few houses for sale up near me (across the bridge to your North), but they typically get scooped up pretty quickly. I see houses in Benders pop up all the time, but most need updating and don't really warrant the asking price in my opinion. You mentioned early in the thread you're working out near Cypress, you making that commute each day?

black_ice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2017
    There's a few houses for sale up near me (across the bridge to your North), but they typically get scooped up pretty quickly. I see houses in Benders pop up all the time, but most need updating and don't really warrant the asking price in my opinion. You mentioned early in the thread you're working out near Cypress, you making that commute each day?

I’m in outside sales and have to go to Conroe once a week on Monday. Rest of the week I’m in my territory or working from home.

Yeah everything in Benders is also big as shit. The lot prices in Benders at 450k have it out of my price range to build so I’m looking in River Walk in Porter for $200k for an acre.

There’s been a couple in Bender’s but my house hadn’t sold yet. Now that it’s sold I’ve got the equity sitting in a HYS just waiting.

I think I’m going to be in this house for a long time and will want a hidden gun room like I had in my last house so I may be better off building.

Top Bottom