• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    My wife and I went to see the latest in The Hobbit series and suffered sticker shock. We went to a Regal Cinema location here in San Antonio and the tickets were $15.50 each. This was for something called Regal RPX (Regal Premium Experience). What a joke. The screen was was bigger and the seats were OK but not worth the extra cost and it's just a gimmick to charge more. We feel as if we were robbed and won't be back.

Phoneguy

Proud American and Infidel since 1968
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    North Ft Worth
    I knew a guy back in the 80s that managed a movie theater. He said that the ticket price all goes to paying the movie company to show the movie. The concessions are the only way that the theater makes any money.
    That being said, I only ever go to the matinee and buy nothing from the concessions.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I remember paying 75 cents for an adult ticket. Had a fit when it went to $1.25. I haven't been to a theater in probably 12 or 13 years, but I think it was 6 or 7 dollars back then. All my movies are from Netflix now. Granted, you have to wait a year or two for the good ones, and the viewing experience is not the same. But, at least I can control the volume and stop the movie for a pee break. A bag of Orville Redenbacher popcorn costs about 50 cents and cokes are 50 cents. And no gasoline is used to get to the theater. I can carry concealed while watching too. No 30.06 signs to watch for. I'm just a tightwad.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The matinees with a Senior discount gets you in the movies for $5. Recently, I saw a flick where I was the ONLY person in the theater! Not having to deal with crowds is a major "plus" and by the time working people get moving around, I'm home, safe & sound.

Going out to see a movie is worth it to get out of the house and change scenery. I don't spend a dime on concession crap.

Flash

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I haven't been to a movie theater in 20 years. Put the money instead into a good home system and am much happier without the rude crowd around me. Netflix is my friend!

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I love going to the movie theater. No home system I can afford matches the sound, and the bazillion inch screen is great. That said, I don't do IMAX, 3D or the other expensive stuff, and we prefer to go to matinees.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    I love going to the movie theater.
    Me too. Matinees in the middle of a work day while school is in is the perfect time. I see all my movies Ive been waiting to see by myself. No wife or kids continually asking what just happened! LOL Medium popcorn with lots of butter/salt, bottle of water and some sort of candy. Perfect movie setting and the sound Rocks. Gonna see "American Sniper" and "Taken III" soon.:usflag:

sdismukes

Bending nails and making sawdust
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2014
    Erath County
    I remember paying 75 cents for an adult ticket. Had a fit when it went to $1.25. I haven't been to a theater in probably 12 or 13 years, but I think it was 6 or 7 dollars back then. All my movies are from Netflix now. Granted, you have to wait a year or two for the good ones, and the viewing experience is not the same. But, at least I can control the volume and stop the movie for a pee break. A bag of Orville Redenbacher popcorn costs about 50 cents and cokes are 50 cents. And no gasoline is used to get to the theater. I can carry concealed while watching too. No 30.06 signs to watch for. I'm just a tightwad.

WHAT YOU SAID!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    All my movies are from Netflix now. Granted, you have to wait a year or two for the good ones, and the viewing experience is not the same.
    All mine are from Netflix also, but I sure don't have to wait a year or two like you said. I typically get the new releases sent to me on release day if they are in my Q, which I make sure of. DVD releases are now coming very quickly after the movie. The ones that don't come quickly are the TV series, and those you do have to wait until the next season, but you aren't going to see those in a movie theater anyway.

But yes, I much prefer the convience of watching at home as you say - I control the volume, can pause it for whatever reason, replay to clarify what happened, and, with my hearing loss, use the subtitles if necessary.

As to the experience, for me it is better at home than at a theater, but as this thread shows, YMMV. A good audio and video system is well worth the investment, IMO.

ballfroguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2014
    I go at 12 in the afternoon now, it makes no sense to go at night and pay more just because its night time

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    I've been to one theater movie in the 6+ years we've been in Austin. Got spoiled in Atlanta with "midnight movies" on Fri/Sat...first run-current movies at matinee prices with maybe two dozen people in the theater. They could only do that for 2-3 years and gave up; but it sure was a treat for me.

RickLovesBacon

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Austin
    OT

Stated watching breaking bad on Netflix thru our PS3 via hdmi on our 4k tv, pic quality is terrible! Any way to make it better?
    You might want to drop your resolution to 1080 if you can. I dont think the ps3 supports 4k but I could be wrong.

Sent from the Bacon isle.

Top Bottom