• .44 Mag

Votes: 3 5.1%

• Total voters

Broke Hoss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    Abilene, TX
    Although I voted for 40 S&W, I got a question. What is the minimum pistol caliber you will carry for self defense? I figger that any caliber expected to stop a human would do the same for deer. At least at reasonable range, with good shot placement. Now, I also feel most commercially available handgun bullets are designed to be effective within about 40 yrds max. Don't get me wrong, good reloads with the proper bullet type will extend that.
    Gun Zone Deals

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    hehehehe.....I wuz wonderin' how long it'd take someone ta ask that. Funny - ah don't see many folks willin' ta use a 9mm to hunt with - but they'll defend it as a man-stopper all day long. Not meanin' to be "in your face" guys - but I AM hoping to challenge you to rethink your choice. It's one thing to say "it beats a fist" (as I do when I toss a .380 in my pants), entirely another to say "it'll do everything the bigger rounds will".

Broke Hoss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    Abilene, TX
    I dont think this is hijacking the thread, if so please move us, but I think these questions are inter-related. I agree with TexasRedneck & have fallen victim to it myself. I personally have never carried a 9mm, although I would be willing as a back up or off duty. Yet I wouldn't want to as a duty or hunting gun. On the other hand, what do I carry most of the time as my off duty? A Kel-tec 3AT. Threads like these have made me start to reexamine my choices.

I think some of the difference are: Distance: in hunting situations I expect to take shots out to 50 yrds/defensive situations will likely be much closer; Ability for aimed fire: hunting, I expect to take my time and concentrate on getting the job done with 1 well placed shot/defensive it's likely to be point & shoot, & shoot, & shoot; Odds of needing to shoot: hunting, I go out expecting to get the oppertunity/defense, the odds of me needing to use deadly force are extremly low & to some extent I control them. At least these are some the "excuses" I find myself using.

BurkGlocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    Honestly, I didnt mean to start a caliber war, or to cause someone to rethink their choice in SD calibers. Personally, I would trust my life to a 9mm, even a .380, especially with todays bullet designs, but as TexasRedneck stated, shot PLACEMENT is always, always crucial to the effectiveness of any round, reguardless if it begins with a .2 or a .5; pistol or rifle. No matter what fandagled new Super-Duper HyperSonic tank killing, powerhouse magnum you use, you still have to put the bullet on the mark to efficiently dispatch any critter, man or animal... and a bullet of proper construction is always a bonus as well...

BG

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Don't worry guys - I just wanted to use the opening to kinda give folks food for thought. I routinely tuck a .380 in my pants pocket, knowing it's less than optimum. Like I said - beats a fist. But I've also....ah, "heard" of many a deer taken cleanly with a properly placed .22 shot. In fact, the .22 caliber is preferred by assassins - look it up, LOTS of folks have been dispatched with 'em. Having said that, in a SHTF situation, shot placement is usually the first thing out the window - so I want to send as large a slug downrange as possible.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    A 9mm hollow-point would kill a deer just the same as any other round, but I would prefer a .357 Magnum on up.

The difference is this ... if I shoot a human, it's not going to be just once, and it's going to be for self-defense purpose. If I am hunting, then I have the luxury of taking one good shot and I don't want the animal to suffer if I can avoid it.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    hehehehe.....I wuz wonderin' how long it'd take someone ta ask that. Funny - ah don't see many folks willin' ta use a 9mm to hunt with - but they'll defend it as a man-stopper all day long. Not meanin' to be "in your face" guys - but I AM hoping to challenge you to rethink your choice. It's one thing to say "it beats a fist" (as I do when I toss a .380 in my pants), entirely another to say "it'll do everything the bigger rounds will".

You will also notice that most of the people also picked magnum rounds. 16/26 (61%)to be exact. I would basically say that a 10mm auto is a magnum round . . so 18/26 (69%).

Long story short, I wouldn't take too much away from this as to defensive rounds. Hunting deer is a completely different beast. Heck there are deer and there are DEER, and some people want a round that can break the shoulder and exit the far side as their "minnimum."

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I hear ya - like I said, guys - the crack was made in fun, because IMO some folks give more weight to shootin' dear than someone intent on shootin' YOU. Each of us is gonna carry what we're comfortable with. Me, I don't care - you carry yours, I'll carry mine. The point was to give a bit more thought before decidin' "perfect" rounds for SD. Hell - given my druthers, I'd pack a 7mm mag or 12 gauge - but that's just me! ;)

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I hear ya - like I said, guys - the crack was made in fun, because IMO some folks give more weight to shootin' dear than someone intent on shootin' YOU. Each of us is gonna carry what we're comfortable with. Me, I don't care - you carry yours, I'll carry mine. The point was to give a bit more thought before decidin' "perfect" rounds for SD. Hell - given my druthers, I'd pack a 7mm mag or 12 gauge - but that's just me! ;)

oh come on, you wanted to stir the pot. : P

EDIT: you take my 7 mag, I'll take a Judge Dredd Gun.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    You will also notice that most of the people also picked magnum rounds. 16/26 (61%)to be exact. I would basically say that a 10mm auto is a magnum round . . so 18/26 (69%)

Mostly because with a longer shot I would want a revolver. The .357 Mag and 10mm Auto are basically interchangeable but a good long barrel (read: sight radius) revolver with a clean, crisp SA trigger is going to be easier to place a shot with.

I know most probably weren't thinking along the same lines, but wanted to explain my reasoning.

chopper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    east tx
    i would go with a 9mm.
    i can take deer with my 55# recurve and i am sure the ballistics are way less on that than the 9mm.
    All about shot placement

deputy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    TX
    well, i guess practically anything will work if you are deer "ambushing" and one is standing below the blind at 10 yards..........

But for deer hunting, the 357 mag is the minimum that i have used.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    i would go with a 9mm.
    i can take deer with my 55# recurve and i am sure the ballistics are way less on that than the 9mm.
    All about shot placement
    You are comparing apples to motorcycle side cars. 9mm is effective only if you do a perfect head shot. Lung shot on a WTD with even a +P round might eventually kill a deer but you will be tracking it for days. A rifle bullet delivers a ton of hydrostatic shock, most handguns do not.

Top Bottom