• .44 Mag

Votes: 3 5.1%

• Total voters

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    I have shot deer with three handguns, a .41 magnum, a .44 magnum and a .45 Colt with heavy handloads. I'd imagine a hot loaded .357 magnum would do the job on most deer as would a 10MM. I feel anything smaller than a .357 would be a bit risky.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Ah, but with fishin' it wuz different - "Light the fuse an' duck!"

You know. . . Guns, explosives. . . . I guess it would be easy to find fishing with hooks and line boring after that. : )

I got kind of discouraged by limb lines and such when I first went noodling. Them fellows got probably 15 catfish, most of them were 30 lbs and one was 55lbs. I was used to 2 or 3 with most being about 1-2 lbs.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    hah! never went fishing with dynamite or anyhtign like that, and noodling is to creepy for me!
    i prefer line and hook.
    would like to give bowfishing a try, as that jsut sounds like fun.

but yeah, i say 9mm
    and let my vote reflect.
    honestly, if it is centerfire, i'd use it. if rimfire was legal, id use .22 lr.
    all abotu shot placement.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Yeah, I can't say that I enjoyed noodling or that I was much good at it. I didn't do it much, but I still got a scar on my shoulder from it. I like fishing for bass, personally, though it has been too long.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    hehehe - ya'll should've been with me an' a buddie back when we wuz kids. He noodled - but his FAVORITE thing was findin' water mocassins! He'd snatch 'em by the tail an' snap their heads against the nearest rock/boat hull. He had some of the fastest reflexes I ever saw on a human!!

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    hehehe - ya'll should've been with me an' a buddie back when we wuz kids. He noodled - but his FAVORITE thing was findin' water mocassins! He'd snatch 'em by the tail an' snap their heads against the nearest rock/boat hull. He had some of the fastest reflexes I ever saw on a human!!
    leave it to you to know the only texan jedi.

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    My friend was drinking on his back porch one evening and a bold deer walked withing 10 meters... he took a shot at it with his 9mm Glock and blew half of the deers skull off. Deer ran about 50 meters and dropped dead. Lucky shot, I wouldn't suggest using a 9mm, I'd go with a .357 revolver... but 9mm is do-able.

JSDinTexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2009
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    The object is to damage internal organs resulting in a kill. So bullet penetration is the key, followed by size of round and flair of HP. Since most handguns don't have the power of a long gun, hot ammo is needed. Most handgun ammo goes in around 12" +/- and S TX deer are at least that thick or better. While I voted for .40 as the minimum, I prefer 10mm +P loads. And somewhat surprised at .357 leading the poll.

ta6ppc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I've shot one with a 45 acp about 20 yard's worked great.
    40 S&W is = to or greater in some loads to 357 mag. 10 mm is more bad yet over the 357 mag.

I enjoy shooting a 44 mag and can shoot it well out to around 200 yards so I am partial to 44 mag and above for deer hunting, but 357 is still a good choice it is still a over penetrator!!!

glock 50cal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    conroe TX
    Only a true redneck would even comment in public on lethality of tha all mighty 22 lr in a conversation about deer hunting ,truly gotta luv the I know some guys .Go get em tiger just dont get caught.

Top Bottom