• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FF90

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2014
    anyone have knowledge of using a shipping container, milvan, etc. as an above ground storm shelter?
    my understanding is that they are hurricane rated. needs to be a do it yourself project if possible.
    ARJ Defense ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Have you seen trucks ,with meal vans/connexes thrown around by tornados?

The box might survive, but I doubt anything inside would. No way I would get inside one for shelter from a hurricane or tornado if I had any other option.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    It all depends on how you set it up. One reason that trucks on the roadways get blown around is that the wind gets under them. Put it flat on the ground, maybe mound some dirt and you will be a lot better off than a trailer.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    True.

But I still feel it is kind if a half ass approach.

Just opinion though, I'm far from an expert on tornados or the abilities of connex/meal vans to withstand their force.

FF90

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2014
    To clarify, I know that you would need to have some sort of piers to anchor it to, going deep into the ground. I have heard of it being done but cannot find any info as to the practicality, survivability of them

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    I deal with these and use them on a daily basis. They can hold up to some pretty tough shit. You would need a way to be able to open it from the inside. So a special door will need to be made, trap door,b swinging door, something. They have four anchor points on them. 3 foot diameter concrete pilings sunk into the ground, with the metal hardware fastened, then welded, will do the trick.

sent from Jennifer Lawrence's bedroom

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Close the doors and cut a hurricane rated door in the side. It could crush if the end doors aren't latched properly.

Dig a big hole and bury it.

A straight force wind would roll a container down the road.

A good affordable hurricane door is a standard metal door with a welded metal frame with three deadbolts. Just make sure it opens in and add metal plate to the door to up the rating on it.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    We build deployment kits into these things, and have 'em air dropped. They're tough. Really tough.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Dig a big hole and bury it.

No, shipping conainers are not designed for handling the pressure from the side like that. Plenty of stories out there, I know one personally, where this proved to be a bad idea. The sides caved in when they filled the hole. Now if you build a retaining wall around it to hold the dirt back, it works.

Others with the same experience, ideas...............
    http://graywolfsurvival.com/2625/why-you-shouldnt-bury-a-shipping-container-for-a-shtf-bunker/

Last edited:

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    They would have to be fastened to the ground but yes a connex would make a decent storm shelter. The easiest way to do so would be to just get mobile home straps and anchors and use them.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    No, shipping conainers are not designed for handling the pressure from the side like that. Plenty of stories out there, I know one personally, where this proved to be a bad idea. The sides caved in when they filled the hole. Now if you build a retaining wall around it to hold the dirt back, it works.

Others with the same experience, ideas...............
    Don't even consider burying a shipping container as an underground bunker until you read this

I guess I could see the sides caving in. They are ribbed but not very thick. Good point.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Good post. If I had land near where I live now I would get a shorter one and have a thick cement slab built for it with anchor points poured in. Then I would weld and strap it down. Then I could add a nice hurricane door and add seating and supplies.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Good post. If I had land near where I live now I would get a shorter one and have a thick cement slab built for it with anchor points poured in. Then I would weld and strap it down. Then I could add a nice hurricane door and add seating and supplies.

You wouldn't need a full slab. Just four piers or a concrete beam across each end would work great. with the four anchor points set in concrete you shouldn't even need additional anchors but if you wanted to be extra careful you could easily just use auger anchors to attach strapping.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have a 20 foot container and these things are built like a brick outhouse. They are strong and the strength is designed in the corners. If you set it down flat or maybe mound up some dirt or gravel around it in addition to anchoring it to the ground at the corners I would feel comfortable taking shelter there

Steve_In_29

Semper Fi
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2015
    St John's, AZ
    New to this Forum so hopefully bumping this older post isn't in bad taste but I had something to add to the discussion that wasn't mentioned.

To protect from the possibility of penetration by flying objects, you would need to cover it with dirt or an easier option that doesn't require reinforcing the container would be to just build a berm close around it. Maybe add a rooftop escape hatch to cover the possibility of the side door becoming blocked by debris as you don't want to have only a single exit point.

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Probably okay in an F1 or F2.

F5? Nothing above ground is likely to survive.
    F4? Wouldn't want to be the guinea pig. Even tie downs might not help, as it could just crush the sides and debris could penetrate (either directly damaging or weakening the structure enough to permit collapse).

Burying just a foot deep would help, as it would help prevent rolling. And at that depth the sides of the container would not collapse.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    I you want to reinforce the sides then just welding a 1 " steel pipe into each of the channels will work fine and if secured well enough prob could easily survive a f5. Where did I get that idea? Thats what they do in chemical plants to make blast resistant buildings. Now do that and Weld steel plate on the side and it's very sturdy. As to burying them, sure crush resistance is a concern but it can be as simple as laying bags of concrete next to the container to provide a primitive retaining wall.

Top Bottom