• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Back in July of 2012 my health made it so I could no longer work. I had spent the previous 23 years living in Portland OR. Prior to that 9 years in eastern Washington. Previous to that 16.5 years in Idaho and 1.5 years in northern Utah. Also there was that stint in the Marines, Okinawa and SoCal.

Anyway I had decided I could no longer tolerate Oregon. I was in a position where my wife and I could move anywhere we wanted to. We had a few criteria. Out of the snow zone, close to a VA hospital, close to a Costco, good fishing, good treatment of disabled Veterans and be a free state.

After doing our research it all came back with Texas. We had planned on making the move in fall of 2013. However in late January of 2013 I was diagnosed with an aggressive prostate cancer. Due to surgery, recovery and radiation treatments we weren't able to get here till March of 2014.

Both of are damn glad we're now living in Texas and really can't see ourselves living anywhere else. My father's family is from Oklahoma so I guess I'm pretty much coming back to my roots.

Granted the concealed carry laws in Oregon are much more sensible, at this time, Texas is still the place to be.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Not paying a state income tax is pretty great too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    There goes one now!!

8jO42v5.gif

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Not having to pay income tax is great. Getting used to the sales tax took about a week.

One nice thing was no longer having to pay the music tax in Portland. They actually sent me a form to pay for 2015 but since I had not lived in Portland one day in 2015 I wrote a scathing comment on it and sent it back to them.

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    So let me get this straight: you get taxed for playing music?

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    So let me get this straight: you get taxed for playing music?

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

Nope!! It's an additional tax on top of their school tax to cover music/art programs in K-5 that the regular budget doesn't have it seems.

Funds distributed to school districts will be used to hire certified arts or music education teachers for elementary school students for Kindergarten through 5t[SUP]h[/SUP] grade (K-5).

Top Bottom