• ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    BOB STASCH - Interview With A Chicago PD Veteran …:

Very interesting interview. I dont agree with all of the advice (one handed shooting, point shooting, suppressive fire) but it is a good conversation prompt.
    ARJ Defense ad

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    In a gunfight suppressive fire is tantamount to extract yourself out of the situation.
    I carry a 1911 8+1 not a lot of rounds. I also carry 3 spare mags. So a extended gun fight is outta the question. If the first rounds don't hit! Time to go.
    All the experts say a gunfight only lasts for a ________you put your time frame. But real life enters into the equation.
    Rule #1 survive, help as much as you can but survive. # shoot move communicate. Reload.
    Shtf retreat. Survive. Sorry but my criminal mind causes me to think like this.
    In GOD i trust all others keep your hands where i can see em. But in my mind suppression fire is a thing to keep in mind

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So LEO vs civilian is a different scenario for what makes sense. Also I believe this LEO mostly worked with a partner. "Buddy cover me while I move!".

My big issues are promoting point shooting and one handed shooting. Yes...we should have those in our bag of tricks but they are less than ideal tactics.

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Right. He also describes very close distances which are where most shootings happen. But...suppressive fire at even 7 yards!?

If I'm working with a partner and we are in a parking garage and dancing from pillar to pillar, trying to escape/evade or outflank....yeah. :P

I know I know.....what are the odds.... 'Course.....what are the odds of getting in a gunfight to begin with. OTOH, Spit DOES happen......

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If I'm working with a partner and we are in a parking garage and dancing from pillar to pillar, trying to escape/evade or outflank....yeah. :P

I know I know.....what are the odds.... 'Course.....what are the odds of getting in a gunfight to begin with. OTOH, Spit DOES happen......
    Us lowly civilians cannot be sending suppressive fire down range.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    ;) If you find yourself in a gunfight, and you have to lay down suppressive fire,
    you are needing a RIFLE, not a handgun, and thats when its time to look down
    and say, "feets, dont fail me now!"

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    ;) If you find yourself in a gunfight, and you have to lay down suppressive fire,
    you are needing a RIFLE, not a handgun, and thats when its time to look down
    and say, "feets, dont fail me now!"
    Right (in the words of Parliament here's a chance to dance a way out of my affliction, feets do fail me now )lol

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I listened to the whole I interview. It is interesting. I just think it is an example of experience not necessarily equating to valuable information in the form of good advice.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I couldn't watch the video. I clicked on it, but when I saw 52 minutes, I'll have to download it on my phone or something when I have a good connection. I can't even watch a 1 minute video without buffering on this high speed internet I have.

I never miss. I just employ suppressive fire judiciously.

You may not be far off there. I've seen some dash cam videos of police shootouts. Bad guy pulls gun and shoots before he can aim. Cop already being shot at cringes draws and squeezes the trigger as fast as he can causing the bad guy that's fifteen feet away to cringe, close his eyes and keep shooting.

Part of it's human nature and natural reflexes. Part of it is, you never know how you will react until you've actually been shot at. The one constant I have observed in these videos is that it's the one with training and practice (the cop) that tends to recover his bearing when both pistols are empty. Cops reach for a reload while the bad guys tend to run or surrender.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom