• ...and so much more!
  • TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Sorry OP wasn't more specific. Question is mainly for 460 magnum revolver because I have plenty of 45 Colt brass - loading 300 grain and heavier bullets, with 460 powder charges, into 45 Colt brass.

But I'd also like to know the considerations for 357 and 44 magnum.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I have never tried loading a 38 special case to 357 loads, would be dangerous in that it might be used in a gun not capable of the pressure of a magnum, I don't know if the powder would be compressed making things even worse. It would not necessarily need a magnum primer though as 2400 doesn't require magnum primers. So, I guess that I am no help. I have 38 special brass and 357 magnum brass and I think the only difference is the length. Starline makes +p brass but from what I have seen they say the only difference is they stamp the brass +p but it is the same as regular brass. Maybe some other reloaders have better info.

Read my later post, +p cases from Starline may be stronger than regular cases.

Last edited:

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I found this useful article - specific to the 460, and goes up to 500 grain bullets.
    Note that it says: "Do NOT use a .460 load in anything but a .460 case." [edit: but I didn't notice the author state his reasoning - other than eluding to case strength]

Last edited:

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    If attempting to load a case differently than it's intended load it would wise to begin with a reduced load. I would not attempt it without more information, as I prefer to keep my fingers attached to my hand.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Starline has the 460 magnum brass back ordered now which means they usually ship in a few weeks when ordered now. I personally buy Starline.

I should mention that what I wrote above about +p brass doesn't always hold. 45ACP +p brass from Starline is structurally stronger so it depends on the round you are looking for. In some cases the +p brass is stronger, in some cases it is should stamped+p.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I found this useful article - specific to the 460, and goes up to 500 grain bullets.
    Note that it says: "Do NOT use a .460 load in anything but a .460 case." [edit: but I didn't notice the author state his reasoning - other than eluding to case strength]

Unless I found information on case strengths being equal, I wouldn't attempt to interchange different cases.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I have never tried loading a 38 special case to 357 loads, would be dangerous in that it might be used in a gun not capable of the pressure of a magnum,
    ... Oh yes, I completely agree about the caution not to use them in the "little brother" non-magnum revolvers. My first thougnt, as a measure of preventative, is to force tarnish the brass with vinegar and peroxide to make them easily identifiable (to me at least) and store in appropriately marked containers...
    I don't know if the powder would be compressed making things even worse.
    ... Instead of 2400 I'll be using Titegroup or N330, so I don't expect to be packing powder.
    It would not necessarily need a magnum primer though as 2400 doesn't require magnum primers. So, I guess that I am no help. I have 38 special brass and 357 magnum brass and I think the only difference is the length. Starline makes +p brass but from what I have seen they say the only difference is they stamp the brass +p but it is the same as regular brass. Maybe some other reloaders have better info.
    I believe magnum brass is a bit thicker and stronger head (and body?) than non-magnum brass. Thanks for your thoughts!

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    While the pressure differences being shown are significant, remember that the brass is not bearing that pressure alone. The chamber is what holds that pressure and the brass is simply a conduit to the chamber.

In this example we arent talking about construction differences like balloon head casings or unsupported case heads in an auto loader. Certainly there is an important volume component to pressure if you were loading to the shorter cartridge mouth versus the longer cartridge qith an equal weight projectile.

Funny how SAAMI doesnt specify much about the case head internal dimensions.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I'll admit that I have not read this entire thread. That said, don't do it. There's too much of a possibility of a kaboom, for SO many reasons and I SO many scenarios.

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    SAAMI numbers don't help a lot unless you're rating a load for the GUN. The brass doesn't take the brunt of the pressure, the chamber does.

That being said, Starline is not the best choice for hot loads unless you like case head separation. They're fine for sane auto-loaders and cowboys shooting.

I would start with middle Casull loads and work up.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Are there any adjustments to consider when making magnum loads using non-magnum cases?
    (other than primers)
    I am just going to assume you are loading to 460 OAL. I didn't see that mentioned. Loading any shorter would be very dangerous.

Since the case is so much shorter the cannelure on the bullets won't do you any good. You will also have way less bullet bearing in the brass.

Recoil and the bullets walking out of the case and locking up your cylinder will probably be an issue.

These rounds may be a single shot/ only one in the cylinder prospect.

This may not be a major issue with smaller magnums like 38/ 357 but as the bullets get heavier and have more recoil it will become a definite concern.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    On top of that, you will probably blow the primers out after the first firing either allowing gas to escape possibly damaging the gun, or making the pocket so loose that you can’t load that case again. There’s a lot more metal around the primer pocket on high pressure cartridges.

I’ve seen it first hand by cutting down .38spcl and .357 mag cases when doin some 9mm length load testing using them. Can’t be done with .357 due to the extra case thickness as it gets beefed up a lot towards the base and around the pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom