• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enochwel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2015
    I gotta be honest, I don't really think it means much. I use the wrong word all the time with stuff I actually am very well educated on, like music theory, for example. I'm pretty much an expert on foundational theory and quite well versed on certain genres, and yet, I'm going to slip and call a "magazine" a "clip" on occasion. I believe it's just a part of who I am - My thoughts to speech process. I make these types of errors...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I'm in I.T. and it chaffs my ass when people call things by their wrong name or pronounce them wrong. Makes my job harder than necessary.

Enochwel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2015
    What bothers me more and more as I get older is that the opinion you have just referenced IS held by virtually all authoritative linguists and etymologists.

I don't consider this a bad thing. I'm bothered simply because it's a reminder that in my dotage I'm failing to keep up with the world.
    Buttonhole

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I know the difference between a magazine and a clip. It used to bother me when the words were used incorrectly and I'd always try to teach the offending person the difference.

At 71, it's surprising to discover how little I really give a damn about. I figure they'll just need to stay stupid and provide a little entertainment for the rest of us......snicker.

Flash

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I'm in I.T. and it chaffs my ass when people call things by their wrong name or pronounce them wrong. Makes my job harder than necessary.
    So....you wouldn't be the guy to to call when my clicker won't move the arrow on my TV screen that lets me go to the internets?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    So....you wouldn't be the guy to to call when my clicker won't move the arrow on my TV screen that lets me go to the internets?

At least THAT I can figure out what's going on without asking 20 Questions. Ignorance is fine, that's just a lack of information and I can work with that. Willful stupidity on the other hand, like getting pissy with me when I try to figure wtf you're babbling about... is also entertaining and I'm getting paid either way.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    This is a helluva thread. I take some time off to go on a work trip to Arkansas and come back to it doubled in size and we're arguing about bananas.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    propper_name.jpg

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Did you reset the Nick card?

Again, at least with that one, I can decipher it and that's an actual working approach.

ipconfig /release

followed by

ipconfig /renew

at a DOS prompt would do it.

Assuming it's not a static IP but one assigned by DHCP.

Counter example: hello, the thing on my hard drive to set the times is not working!!!
    OK, why the shit should I care, and how stupid are you, also why do you need to set the time in first place, it's all NTP these days, well something's not right, she couldn't possibly be talking about the Windows clock...
    Could you elaborate what and how you are trying to do?

Aaaaah! Turns out she had a RDP (remote desktop protocol) shortcut on her desktop that lets her remote into an IVR (interactive voice response system, press one for English) and she logged into that machine to change the announcement of business hours of her bank before holidays and after they bought another bank or got bought by one, it doesn't matter which, their internal IP (internet protocol) addresses got all changed around.

Top Bottom