• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deans

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    I am new to the TGT and I have searched for this with no luck. I have a M1 carbine would like to know your thoughts for HD. As I have more trigger time with rifles/shotguns my accuracy is better than with a handgun. TIA

Deans
    Gun Zone Deals

Deans

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    No, just standard issue with wood stock. However, it is light weight,short and manuverable in tight places. Recoil is virtually nill. Easy for wife to use also.

Deans

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    o yea still a fairly short overall rifle and the round is good for defence in close quarters I say go for it.

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    30 round clips are dime a dozen and it is a potent little round in close quarters. I certainly would not want to elephant hunt with it, but for home defense I would think it a reasonable weapon. Quadruple tap for peace of mind. Like any firearm in a home be aware of over penetration and always factor who is in the other rooms. Sheetrock is a poor backstop.

Deans

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    Thanks guys. I had a gut feeling the M1 carbine would be fine for HD, just wanted to get some other opinions.

Deans

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    There are lots of dead guys that would agree the .30 carbine round is effective! I love mine... but I still use my 1911 for home defense. Next in line is the Remington 1100 with a short barrel and 00 buck shot.... MG

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Over penetration would be less than with a .223 or 7.62x39 like everyone else uses.

7.62x39 has more energy, and more inertia. It will penetrate far more than the .30 Carbine.

Penetration is a problem with any rifle, but the .223 has a niche since it has no inertia being so light weight. When it meets a barrier it sheds alot of it's velocity, and it's lethality.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'll be the odd man out and say that the .30 carbine round is not a terrific stopper. It lacks the punch of most other rifle calibers simply because it's moving so slow (100ish grain bullet moving at 2000ish feet per second). Power-wise it's about on par with .357 magnum, IIRC.

That said, I'd grab one for home defense over a handgun for most situations. A long gun is much easier to get on target under stress.

The one caveat I'd like to add to the penetration argument is that the Carbine I have really did not like the soft point ammo I bought for it. It would only eat FMJ, and I'm not sure if you can even get a defensive grade hollowpoint anymore. If you can, it will be a pistol caliber style hollowpoint.

And make sure your mags work. Go with GI mags if you can, the aftermarket stuff can be very unreliable.

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    I have an arsenal refurbished Inland that is the only gun I own that all four kids put dibs on. Another thought on home defense with a carbine is, the bayonet can add a twist to its use and advantage (that police report would make the magazines for sure). Ruger makes or made a 30 carbine revolver that would be a good complement to it also. My wife wants the Taurus 410 pistol (God bless her). I'll have to fire one of those someday.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    .410 shells in the Judge are way over-hyped (they do not even come close to performing well enough for self defense). She'd be better off using .45 Colt in it by a long way.

holy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    houston
    I am new to the TGT and I have searched for this with no luck. I have a M1 carbine would like to know your thoughts for HD. As I have more trigger time with rifles/shotguns my accuracy is better than with a handgun. TIA

Deans

just dont use ball ammo and itll be ok
    course id like to have the bayonet in case of wepaons malfunction

Top Bottom