• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DrgnD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2021
    Round Rock
    Got the recommendation from the Doc that I should switch to Low Carb diet. I’m looking for suggestions/recipes that I can make with a crockpot or instant pot that I can use to have for a couple days.
    TIA
    Hurley's Gold

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Got the recommendation from the Doc that I should switch to Low Carb diet. I’m looking for suggestions/recipes that I can make with a crockpot or instant pot that I can use to have for a couple days.
    TIA

I got that order 5-6 years ago.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    There is total low carb intake and low carb foods.

I limit my total carb intake per day. Still eat rice.

Lost 50 lbs this past year. Slowly working off my meds.

A little exercise is as important to burn those carbs. Simply walking is a good place to start.

Admittedly I'm unique with all the back surgeries and limited mobility but I've done ok. I think the extra pain meds so I can walk a bit more helped.

My A1c has been normal for a couple years or slightly elevated i.e. still under 6.

The goal is to get off all the meds and keep A1c under 7.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Years ago my doctor told me to do the same.. I was told that I didn’t need to go full Atkins but just to reduce the card intake. So for example if I were to get a cheeseburger keep the bun but no fries. Just eliminating the carb laden sides makes a difference.

tsugsr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Just for weight loss I’ve done keto before and currently going at it again.

Two pretty simple recipes I like are as follows:

Crockpot chicken:
    -1.5-2.5 pounds of frozen chicken breast or tenderloin (depending how much you want to make.)
    -1 16 ounce jar of salsa of choice
    -1 packet each of dry ranch powder and taco seasoning.

Put all into crockpot on low for 8 hours and shred using forks or my favorite, a hand mixer. Can be eaten alone with cheese and sour cream or in low carb tortillas.

2nd is a “Mississippi roast:

-1 chuck roast, 2-3 pounds (whatever fits your crockpot)
    -1 stick of butter
    -Half a jar of so of pepperocini peppers
    -1 packet each of dry ranch powder and au jus gravy

I put some peppers in bottom, dust with powders, roast on top then remaining stuff and butter on top, slow for 8 hours then shred with forks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    Hot dogs with butter grilled buns, chopped onions, Mom’s mustard, Velveeta-rotel queso and hormel no beans chili piled on top.
    More dangerous than Taco Bell!

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Hot dogs with butter grilled buns, chopped onions, Mom’s mustard, Velveeta-rotel queso and hormel no beans chili piled on top.
    More dangerous than Taco Bell!
    Except, how many are carbs are in a hotdog bun, I could easily eat 3.

And, there is a ton of carbs in most canned chili.

ETA: I'd bet there's close to 30 (or more) carbs per hotdog like that.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    Had three.
    F6E6AF87-45BB-4BEB-9B0A-AEBC1E9160FF.jpeg

I’m currently down to 170.
    Misbehavin’ is okay now and then.

hooper

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Houston Area
    Meat sauce marinaria sauce. Pick your favorite recipe and make it in the crock pot. I have (2) cups of the sauce with a couple tablespoons of cottage cheese.

For meal prep, get your rubbermaid (or whatever brand) and stick with the sizes/styles. Make everything on Sunday or Saturday and that is your lunch/breakfast for the week. Then eat sensible at night.

@Hoji should have some tips as well, he has a great thread about weight loss somewhere on here.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Except, unless I'm mistaken, this isn't a "weight loss" thread.

I presumed this was a thread to lower A1c levels. Although, one will lose weight.

Of course, I could very well be wrong.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    It’s not just about carbs…simple carbs spike the blood sugar. How much you eat is also a factor. Everything including protein still gets converted to sugar. Protein just takes longer to process and thus not as much of a spike. But in spite of that, you could have a longer not as high of a spike. A1C is effectively an average of your blood sugar over a longer period of time. I found that reducing carbs (not eliminating them) and reducing portion size made the biggest and easiest impact. But every one is different.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    So you want to look like a runway model?

Afraid your cholesterol will give ya a big myocardial infarct?

Try as you might...yer gonna die anyway!

Eat, drink and be merry cuz you aint long for this world.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    TIA
    Beef stew using only white turnips, parsnips & button mushrooms. Only the parsnips are not very low in carbs but they do have about 25% of their carbs as fiber. Even a low carb diet requires some carbs. You can add onions too, which although not necessarily considered very low in carbs, certainly are not high in that regard either. Another veggie some may not think of to add to a stew is cauliflower - very low in carbs, they have quite the taste that goes well in a stew - just do not over cook it. Add it (like most veggies) later on while cooking a stew - 20 or 30 minutes should more than do for the veggies to cook.

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Not a crock pot item, but I'll share a couple things I make often.

burger (venison today) with diced onion and minced garlic fried in a large skillet with some olive oil (most health experts say olive oil is very good for you). I put a few seasonings in that I like, including a little Braggs Aminos that taste like soy sauce. Then I dump in a stir fry packet from the produce section at the grocery store. I did it with frozen veggies for a while, but I really like the fresh veggies. It comes with a sauce pack, which I use. Others may not want to use it for dietary reasons. Its a small packet so I use it.

The other thing I cook a lot of is tacos. Burger meat with cumen, chili powder, garlic, etc. I do mix in a low sodium taco seasoning mix. I use soft corn tortillas, lettuce, salsa, and sometimes guac.

Gas grill ribs: I buy a rack of ribs, dust with BBQ rub and place on the top rack of my gas grill. I am working from home, so I can manage it easily. I turn two of the five burners on all the way down in summer, and up just a little this time of year. In 2.5 hours I check them. Smaller racks will be ready in 2.5. Larger ones will require 3 hours. They are really, really good. I usually serve with sweet potatoes or brussells sprouts.

Either sweet potatoes or brussels sprouts (both fresh). Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. spray olive oil on them after you place on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with cracked pepper and himalayan sea salt. I have recently started lining my cookie sheet with parchment paper for easier cleanup. The salt and pepper stick better if you spray olive oil on first. Sometimes I sprinkle dried diced onion on it too.

SP - dice to around 1/2 - 3/4" squares.
    BS - cut in half or quarters depending on size.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom