• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Braveheart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Texas
    Looking to buy a 1911, i would even take suggestions to good reputible sites that sell them as well.
    I know about AIM and Cheaper then dirt. Even take suggestions of good brands,.
    Military Camp

Braveheart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Texas
    I was going to spend 900 dollars on one today, but the dealer sold it before i could withdraw the money for it. but I would prefer to find myself a nice one for not so expensive.
    Mainly range, so i want a full sized one. Though i might carry later on, but I got a glock for that.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Well you got a few choices. Lol. Like 25 or so. First look for a gun that fits your needs as is with no mods. I would go light mount, beaver tail, commander hammer, ambi safety and fully supported chamber maybe an arched magwell. For me this spells Kimber. Some folks love spribgfield armory or dozens of others but make sure your gun has a lifetime warrantee. Yea most 1911s are fine right our of the box, a few need a 200 round break in and some need a good smith. The best smith is your free warrantee. Not the guy who can "fix" your gun for $300 or so. If you have what you want you won't spend hundreds on mods.
    Good luck!

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I am a little biased but look at the rocks new tacs run about 575.00
    600.00 good pistols imho, money left over for ammo
    Plus a very good lifetime warranty good cs

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    for $900 you can get a nice Smith & Wesson or Springfield, or a Colt or Kimber. I don't like the external extractors on the S&W, or the full-length guide rod on the Kimbers. Springfields are nice, but they don't have a firing pin safety (which first appeared in the Colt Series-80 and then adopted by many), if that's a criterion for you.

Rock Island Armory and ATI are also popular 1911s and a bit more affordable. But like someone said, you have dozens of 1911s to choose from.

My CCW is a Colt Commander (aluminum frame) with a 4.25in barrel so it's still OK for a range gun.

In your shopping, look for things like bushingless bull barrels, full length guide rods, bobtail grips, beavertail grip safeties, etc. You need to decide if you want them or not. Most guns will come with a beavertail unless you get an A1 or mil-spec. Other variables are short or long trigger, flat or arched mainspring housing, etc.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    You can often find 'em on the classifieds here.....sometimes. Problem bein', they don't get let go of very often. About the only one I'd be lookin' at unloadin' is a Sig Scorpion I bought on a whim. Ain't even had a round chambered - just don't care for the rail.....just wish I'd have figgered that out BEFORE I bought it!
    th_tissue.gif

wllmwallace

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Denton, TX
    Academy carries the American Classic line, they run around $600. From what I've been reading, and from what I've handled, they are really nice "bang for your buck" 1911's. Fit and finish has been compared to much nicer pistols. Plan on getting a Commander here pretty soon for a "truck gun".

Westtx28

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Waco
    Just out of curiosity what where you about to pull the trigger on for $900? I've got a Springfield Loaded Combat with a couple of hundred rounds down it that I would let go of for a lot less.

Braveheart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Texas
    It was at a gun show, it was a Springfield armory 1911 kit. Had the gun, a holster, mag holster, 2 mags and what looked like a custom case so all the stuff fitted right in place. The main thing that i noticed it had higher quality metal sight that were solid black. Look like competition sights or something.

It was a nice gun, i mean i saw a bunch of other 1911's and figured why not pay the extra 200 bucks or so and get something i really liked.

I'm kinda digging this gun

http://centerfiresystems.com/AC-RI1911MATCH.aspx

Looks like it has everything right out of the box.

Westtx28

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Waco
    That RIA you're looking at would make a fine range gun with the 6" barrel. A lot of people will argue that it would be no more accurate than a standard 5". I don't own a long-slide 1911 but would think the longer sight radius would help a little. The bottom rail gives it a more tactical look. Everyone is going to have their own opinions but the great thing about the 1911 is that there are so many manufacturers, configurations, and price points that folks can, as you said, get that they dig. The bad thing is getting your first one is like taking your first hit of crack. Don't stress too much about the decision you make because you will eventually want to upgrade or get another.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Few things worse than a bored gunsmith with access to vintage parts. Not a 1911,though...1911A1. Built the fake yesterday to match my (all original) old warhorse. Since we were talking M1911, it seemed appropriate to share what they used to look like, back in the day:

1911_WWII_2_30Jan12.jpg

1911_WWII_1_30Jan12.jpg

RIA makes decent guns at a great price point! Spent the extra fifty bucks and get the one with the beavertail safety and the dovetailed sights. Trust me, those old style sights suck ;)

Alex

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Few things worse than a bored gunsmith with access to vintage parts. Not a 1911,though...1911A1. Built the fake yesterday to match my (all original) old warhorse. Since we were talking M1911, it seemed appropriate to share what they used to look like, back in the day:

1911_WWII_2_30Jan12.jpg

1911_WWII_1_30Jan12.jpg

RIA makes decent guns at a great price point! Spent the extra fifty bucks and get the one with the beavertail safety and the dovetailed sights. Trust me, those old style sights suck ;)

Alex

Those are some bad ass 1911's! I've always wondered, hows using the notch thumb safety feel if I were to use a high thumbs forward grip, with my firing thumb riding the safety?

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Painful...those old safeties were not intended to be used (that was what the grip safety was for, as per John himself; it was added at the request of the Army), much less use with The Grip. Plus, unless the grip safety is tuned properly, or unless you have thick hands, The Grip is not conducive to making that grip safety...clear the trigger bow.

And the tang doesn't do much to keep your hand out of the the way of the slide with The Grip. There have been some advances in 1911 technology...even in the old fashioned single stack pattern :)

But the old guns are still cool :D

Alex

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom