Looking for work prior to move! (SW Houston area)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I lived in Harris County most my life. Grew up in NE Harris county, then lived in Cypress form 2000-2020 For the last 4yrs I've been in East TX on my own acerage.

Here's my best advice for the Richmond area....

Make sure you stay 5 miles away from the Brazos River & any creek or bayou .... oh & on a hill too. I would get on Google earth "time line"... it used to be free, but haven't used it in a year's. On time line go back to the last 15 years of flooding.... that's the areas I'd stay away from. And just think it will get worse the more development & lack of drainage in the future. So maybe a little further out.

Eta.... if you go further south you may need MANDATORY HURRICANE INSURANCE....it ain't cheap from what my friends tell me.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    From where are you moving?

Honestly, unless you have to move close to the Houston area area I’d look further west in the Eagle Lake area.

It took me 45 years to get out of the greater Houston area, so you won’t find me recommending it as a place to live.

Good luck with the move!
    Pretty much sums it up. Richmond/Rosenberg is really Houston for all intents and purposes.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    We're not dead-set on the Houston area, however I do have friends down there I'd like to be able to stay somewhat near. Honestly as long as it's near a machine shop that pays well, where I can work during the day and find a house that's affordable (sub 200k) I'd be happy.
    Victoria is a nice small city with some light industry in the area. Of course there is Corpus Christi for the O&G industry.

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    Title says it all! My fiancee and I are moving to Richmond / Rosenberg (Houston area) in the middle of July, and we're looking to secure work before we land. I am relocating my FFL to TX with me, so I would greatly appreciate a willingness to work around my gunsmith business, which I will be running part time primarily in the evenings and weekends.

I myself have extensive experience as a gunsmith specializing in vintage and antique guns, but I work on just about everything. I run my own manual & CNC machines (mill and lathe), laser engravers (fiber and co2), CNC plasma tables, and 3D printers when I need parts made, and also do my own CAD in Fusion 360. I also have experience in auto collision repair, specializing in full-body paintjobs. In addition, I'm a licensed private pilot working towards a commercial license with the end goal of becoming either a flight instructor, aerial photography pilot, or local charter pilot. I have 130+ hours of flight time in a Cessna 172.

My fiancee is primarily looking for work as an administrative assistant / receptionist. She handles the books for my business, and is open to anything in the administrative field.

Thanks for considering us!
    This is excellent news. I also live in the Richmond/Rosenberg area. I look forward to getting to know you. Where about in Richmond (old/new)? The newer part of Richmond is down 99 going towards Katy. I live near RPC church. Which is in Richmond just outside of Sugar Land going south on 59.

As far as admin work goes for your fiancée I would recommend creating a profile on Upwork. That’s where my fiancée got started and ended up getting a full time admin job.

Upwork is like an indeed contractor website. Very well known and can get a lot of great jobs there.

Gearhead_Gunsmith

The Gearhead Gunsmith
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2024
    Richmond, Tx
    This is excellent news. I also live in the Richmond/Rosenberg area. I look forward to getting to know you. Where about in Richmond (old/new)? The newer part of Richmond is down 99 going towards Katy. I live near RPC church. Which is in Richmond just outside of Sugar Land going south on 59.

As far as admin work goes for your fiancée I would recommend creating a profile on Upwork. That’s where my fiancée got started and ended up getting a full time admin job.

Upwork is like an indeed contractor website. Very well known and can get a lot of great jobs there.
    My buddy's place is near Wharton college - we haven't picked a house yet but I'm hoping we find something soonish!

I'll pass the word along about Upwork, thanks!

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    My buddy's place is near Wharton college - we haven't picked a house yet but I'm hoping we find something soonish!

I'll pass the word along about Upwork, thanks!
    Oh yeah that’s good then. If you live in Richmond out on 99 going towards Katy that is a toll road and you will be stuck having to pay tolls on daily basis unless you stick to the over congested feeder roads that run parallel to it. Wharton is the older part and across the street from Walmart.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    @Gearhead_Gunsmith

Locating your place ... look for property outside city limits. E.g., I have Pearland address w/o Pearland restrictions 'cause I bought outside city limits.

Almost any HOA will slow you down. Most heavily restrict business. And, fair warning, I think our AFT field office were all recruited off your coast - they will deny if they can scare up an excuse.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Gearhead_Gunsmith

The Gearhead Gunsmith
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2024
    Richmond, Tx
    @Gearhead_Gunsmith

Locating your place ... look for property outside city limits. E.g., I have Pearland address w/o Pearland restrictions 'cause I bought outside city limits.

Almost any HOA will slow you down. Most heavily restrict business. And, fair warning, I think our AFT field office were all recruited off your coast - they will deny if they can scare up an excuse.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    We are 100% avoiding HOA's. I made that abundantly clear to the realtor

Thankfully when it comes to the ATF I've had really favorable dealings so far, even here in SoCal. Before I got licensed, the local city tried to stonewall me by no longer answering my calls and emails, and avoided in-person meetings as well. They even told my IOI they didn't believe the authenticity of her .gov email address, so she started firing off emails to everyone on the city's directory, including the mayor, til someone answered :laughing: I heard she moved somewhere out in TX, maybe I'll get lucky and get the same IOI.

I already have pre-approval from the city of Richmond, so assuming we find a place out there I'll be good to go as far as they're concerned.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    When I lived in apartments one of the ways I judge them was to cruise the parking lot when most people are at work. If the lot had a lot of late model cars and lots of oil stains I avoid it.

With neighborhoods go look at the nearest grocery stores. And I meant go inside and walk around check them out. Look over the produce and meat departments. Check for out of stocks on the shelves. I was a meat cutter and many of the store that were out that way closed. Mostly because theft out weight the sales.

Look at area infrastructure. With the growth has the roads and schools stayed in check. Nothing like moving in to find your taxes getting stupid to catch up.

How close are you to a fire station and fire hydrants is important when it comes to insurance.

Look around for any signs of gangs. Them idiots love to tag their hood. No sense of being in a crossfire.

When I was looking to move out of Houston I looked at the demographics of every place that I considered. A whole lot can be learned about crime in the area.

Where I live now I leave my vehicles unlocked. There are so many high value things that could be stolen but aren’t. In Houston if you where doing yard work and went inside for a drink your shit would be gone.

Top Bottom