• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    Howdy gents! I'm gonna start doing my own reloading but not to sure on what's what. I plan to attend the next reloading clinic at Cabelas to get my feet wet and started in the right direction. For now I guess I'm just looking for a decent, basic starters kit that I can expand on as funds allow. If it helps any I'll be reloading for 9mm, .45, 5.56X45 & 7.62X39 might venture into 12GA. later on. Any input, suggestions, and opinions on what to get and what to stay away from are greatly appreciated, thank ya much!
    Hurley's Gold

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    Attending a class is a good way to start, also pick up a few reloading manuals. I have Modern Reloading by Richard Lee and Speer #14 but could probably use at least one more. The load data is not complete in each manual (bullet weight/type, powder selection, etc.), along with slight differences in starting/max loads.

I just started reloading a few months ago with a Lee Classic Cast Turret press, picked up the kit from Midway. So far it is a good complete kit, easy setup for 9mm and 38sp/357mag. Heck all calibers are easy to setup, just buy extra turret heads then leave the dies installed when swicthing calibers. Other more experienced reloaders will chime in, but the Lee is my recommendation.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    The class should be useful but there's no replacement for experience. I recommend trying to find a local reloader who will show you how they do it. You will also need to decide whether you are reloading to save money(although you will just shoot twice as much) or reloading for greater accuracy. Every gun has a different COL and bullet type it likes better. Finding the perfect combo may take you a lifetime but that's part of the fun. You won't save much reloading for the 7.62x39 or 9mm right now, who knows in the future. I do highly endorse the Lee product line. They're stuff is good quality for the money. Lastly, remember that consistent brass prep(sizing,OAL, primer pocket swaging,etc) is just as or more important than powder charges. You are on the right track starting with the class and some books, read up and have fun.

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    Thanks Gramps, I'll keep an eye out for a good manual. TexMex, mainly yes to save some ca$h I can see ammo continue to skyrocket in price as it has been. Plus it'll keep me from having to keep going and buying more ammo as I plan to increase my shooting frequency. Are there any draw backs in purchasing a used kit, do they wear out or anything?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    My first reloader was a LEE progressive. RCBS piggy back was my next step. Even though LEE is cheap....it can't be cussed. LEE works and it works good. LEE dies are just as good as any.

I had a tumbler made by my grandfather to polish rocks. With corncob media it work really good. So with a little imagination you can build one.

A small cast iron pot on a gas/electric burner will melt lead. Start collecting wheel weights.

Invest in a bullet puller!!! The hammer type. Youll be surprised how much you end up using one.

Single stage presses can be had for next to nothing. Ebay has them all day long. I picked up an old single stage press at the Bell Co flea market for $15.

SchH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    New Braunfels
    Been using the same RCSB Rock Chucker press for over 30 years now with no problems what so ever.
    I would say if funds are limited get yourself a good used RCSB, LEE, Pacific C-H etc. press but I'd probably buy a new die set.
    You'll need a case trimmer, this can be a cheep hand held set or something like the Foster bench mounted trimmer.
    You need a way to measure case length, this can be a go no go gauge, a set of callipers or micrometer.
    After the case is trimmed you'll need to deburr the case mouth so you will need a deburring tool for that and a pocket cleaning tool.
    You,ll need a way to measure the powder, again if funds are tight I would buy a scale before I'd get a rotary type powder measure and just use a powder dipper to add powder to the scale pan.
    I'm anal about my powder charges so even though I use a powder measure I still weigh each charge.
    There's some other small items you'll need but not of much consequence cost wise.
    From there you can get into all kinds of cool stuff, I'm looking to get set up with some bullet swaging equipment to make jacketed bullets.
    Your best friend will be your Reloading Manual, so start there go slow, learn and be safe.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Recently, I bought 4-5 new reloading manuals and upgraded my progressive RL450 loader to a Dillon RL550. My RCBS Rock Chucker has served reliably for decades. A lot has changed in the manuals and they don't always agree. My Lyman manual is the most conservative and the Lee is very good.

I reload for every centerfire caliber that I use except for the 9x18 Makarov so I'm gathering the stuff to do that. I may set it up on the RL550. For some reason, 9x18 dies are twice as expensive as other dies so I have my sights set on a set of Lee dies. I have one other Lee set so I dragged them out tonight to check them out. They are nicely made!

I've always used RCBS equipment and stick with them. Others are also good but I keep a full stock of spare parts and it's easier to do that if I have one brand.

So why am I telling you this? Is it bragging? Heck, no! This is the part that I like best. I set up a workable shop in my back bedroom and have all my reloading stuff mounted there. I've had so much fun doing the set up that I've stayed away from the range for a LONG time! The way I'll do it is to have a stock of ### rounds in each of my favorite calibers, then after I hit the range, I'll reload what I fired to get my stock to level, again.

I am now free of the ammo merchants!

Honestly, I treat reloading like a hobby and I make some super accurate rounds. If I looked at reloading from the economic side only, it would get boring real fast.

I just ordered more 9x19 bullets and as I use primers and other components, I replace them.

Sometimes, I just go in there and sit just to enjoy my little workshop! I stocked up on .380 cases and bullets and plan to wear out my little .380 carry guns. I just loaded my stock of .380's. Next comes other pistol rounds then rifle rounds.

It's not run like a business, it doesn't need to be profitable and I love doing it. That's how it is for me.

Flash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Texas
    I got into reloading this year, consulted several people on a few forums, most have been loading 20+ years as well as casting their own "boolits" as they call them..

In all honesty you can't go wrong with any equipment, I've seen RCBS, Lee, Dillon, Hornady, and older stuff that out dates me.. Everyone has what they have for personal reasons, it's all good stuff..

After months of reading, watching YouTube, and a couple local guys let me sit in and watch them, even got my hands dirty for about 100 rounds.. I went with the Hornady LNL got it from Midway.

I like the bushing system, I don't remove any dies. I buy more bushings so I can keep them all set, no need to dial them in again unless they need a tweak.

I like the half indexing, I can feel the primer seat, the primer system is very nice.. I can change over calibers in minuets.. I have the case activated powder drop and have been within 1/10 of a grain.. The EZ-ject is nice, I can remove the case and put it back with the spring tension, never had one fall out..

Im not a fan of the whole case and bullet feeder systems i didn't take that road.. I like the speed and accuracy of the five stage I'm up to about 400 rounds an hour, plenty fast enough. But also like that I can do single stage on it as well if I want to be super accurate and weight every charge, seat every bullet, and get a precision crimp..

I have yet to use Lee or RCBS dies so no input there..I'm loading .380, 9x19, and .38 spl... All I have is Redding dies, I liked the first set so I've stayed with them.. But I do recommend carbide dies!

I also got a good bench scale that plugs in, a sonic cleaner over a media cleaner, they both work, I just wanted less mess and it works great!

The best advice I can give you has already been said. Keep a good record of what you load, bullet type and weight, how many grains of powder, load only a few to start, at the minimum recommended charge.. Each gun is different! Then move up a grain or two till you get that load perfected.. Oh and get a good bullet puller, you will mess up!

Make sure you have a good work bench, nothing that moves, you want your press to be solid.. Room for everything you get, but not enough room that it will collect junk, you want to keep it neat and clean..

I store and mark everything I load, nothing gets put into a case or rack unless it has a date, bullet type w/weight, grains of and type of powder used.. I only use AA powder for now, but its Just good practice..I've been using CCI primers with no problems.. Small or large as required, I haven't needed magnum primers, do your research.. Those could make a good day bad if used wrong...

I took the LNL apart, every piece, it got cleaned with One Shot before I even set it up.. I promise no matter what press you get, this will help!

The rest is just have fun! Learn as you go, take your time, enjoy it! Their right, it won't save you money, you will want to shoot what you load, just to load it again!

I even pay my daughters to pick up all the brass they can find in the empty bays while I'm shooting, that will save you money! Once I have more money to invest, I'll be loading up the brass in calibers I don't have.. Always someone who wants cheap ammo.. Or a reason to add a new gun to the safe!

God Bless!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    The evil down side to reloading....."Brass Fever"

I can't stop picking brass up. My brass, other brass, brass I don't even reload. 257 ack improved?, don't reload it but I pick it up.

I pass a deer stand. I'm looking for brass. Oh look....a corroded 30-06!...full of mud

It's a relief to shoot 22lr sometimes. I don't have to dig around the grass to find cases I can reload....

My favorite to reload was 44mag. You could load it to a range of charges. Trim the cases down for 44 special.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I can't stop picking brass up. My brass, other brass, brass I don't even reload. 257 ack improved?, don't reload it but I pick it up.

HA! That gave a big laugh....thanks! I'm the same way and I even got one of those pick up tools so now, I don't even need to bend over to harvest the brass! Once I tumble them, they look like new.

I pick up calibers that I need but my friend Steve picks up anything. He has buckets of brass! I got a wild hair and decided to reload 9x19 Luger. I've always bought that ammo as it's pretty cheap. I called Steve and asked him if he'd pick out some 9mm for me to load and he shows up with bags of 9mm (3800 cases!) It's good to have nice friends....especially ones who pick up brass!

Flash

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    Appreciate all the info. gents! I'm really looking forward to getting into it, already learning a lot just from reading your post. It's a little more in depth than I initially thought as I'm just scratching the surface but I'm learning. I'm actually kind of excited to go get my hands on some reloadering equipment and actually know what I'm looking at and what it does. Thanks again!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Appreciate all the info. gents! I'm really looking forward to getting into it, already learning a lot just from reading your post. It's a little more in depth than I initially thought as I'm just scratching the surface but I'm learning. I'm actually kind of excited to go get my hands on some reloadering equipment and actually know what I'm looking at and what it does. Thanks again!

Dewd, you'll sit for hours pulling the lever. It's relaxing.

And once your set up and rolling. Seat some bullets in empty cases without the primer. Get some small "o" screws, chains and rings, for key chains. They make neat gifts....Kids eat the things up!

Ive also used dummy 9mm rounds as motorcycle decorations for a friend. Just screw the dummy round through the primer pocket. Paint with clear paint to keep shiny.

Drill the pocket out with a step bit. Epoxy a valve stem cap in the bottom....added touch to the motorcycle wheels...

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    If it helps any I'll be reloading for 9mm, .45, 5.56X45 & 7.62X39 might venture into 12GA. later on.

The one thing I would recommend is deciding how much you will load before you buy your equipment. While you can always upgrade later, it is much like buying a motorcycle. Sure, you thought that 600cc bike was enough but a couple of months later you wish you'd bought the 1000. Reloading can be the same way, especially if you shoot a lot of the calibers you listed. Consider a progressive for the pistol and even the rifle ammuntion, it makes your time investment much smaller which gets you out to the range more. Last thing on equipment, if you buy a good press it is a long term investment, so don't cut corners. Over the years that you use it, a few extra dollars are a very small investment.

One other thing, buy all the reloading manuals you can afford and read all the articles. A subscription to Handloader is also a great investment. You'll learn from others and avoid having to pay for the experience yourself. Starting on te top of the curve is better than plotting the curve.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    A final thought....

I love all kinds of music but for some reason, I prefer Classical music while I'm reloading. I tune in the Houston Classical station and groove while I'm making bullets. It's fun, relaxing and since I'm hyperactive, the constant physical motion is great for me. If I sit motionless for long periods, I get headaches so even when I''m watching TV, I work on the computer, play with the dog or tinker with a project.

Remember, it's not a profitable venture even though you tell your wife that it is. What you save, you'll burn up in firing extra rounds. I don't even worry about paying a higher price for my components. If I see the components I'll buy them regardless of price.

I spent about $200 so I could turn out 9x18 Makarov on my Dillon progressive or on the RCBS Rock Chucker. You can buy a lot of Brown Bear 9x18 ammo for $200 but I wanted to roll my own. Now, all of the calibers that I use are reloadable.

Incidentally, the 9x18 uses a different diameter bullet than the 9x19 Luger. That's where those terrific manuals come in handy. My first idea was to use the Luger components for both cartridges. That wouldn't work so I got the correct bullets and pushed ahead anyway.

Flash

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    Appreciate it Deavis, initially I was investigating reloading as an investment to conserve ammo cost and to readily have plenty of rounds on hand. However after reading all the above post I believe it will become more of a hobby to tinker with in the garage rather than a chore to $ave some cash. No doubt the initial cost will pay for itself fairly quick plus allow me to be able to shoot what I want when I want.

Top Bottom