• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Right now I'm looking at getting a Mossberg 590A1 when I get back home for home defense. What kind of sights do you folks recommend I get for it if it's primary purpose is going to be indoors CQC, or is that kind of a moot point at that short of a range using a 12 gauge?
    Guns International

Farmboy Marine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Bryan, TX
    Well, I got a 12ga. Mossy 500 (which I use for the same purpose) simply because I thought that the 590 was a tad long for a HD weapon. To be fair though, I'm only 5'7" so it's up to your personal preference.

Honestly, if it's just for home defense I'd say just stick with the standard bead sight or just fire from the hip. It's a shotgun... Inside the confined spaces of your house... Being military personnel, I seriously doubt that you're gonna have a hard time hitting your mark in those conditions. My 500 has a pistol grip and I hit targets at 25 yards every time.

The most that I would do is get a set of ghost ring sights if you're really that intent on modifying it. I mean, nobody's gonna stop you from busting a thousand bucks on an EOTech Holo sight, but it's unnecessary and would be more for show than anything else.

26773_1267997417714&.jpg My Mossberg.

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    I have a couple of the 590A1's around now, all with the ATI foldover stock with saddle for 5 more rounds. With the stock folded over, it's easy to store/carry, and when extended, the stock comes to shoulder nicely. The 590 is a heavier made shotgun than the 500, seems to be better matrial in the shell lifter and slide as well as the trigger housing.

As for sights, I've got one with standard bead, and one with ghoust sights. Both have flashlight/laser combos on them, and at home defense range that is going to get you on target quick, which is the point anyway! This picture was taken before adding the laser/flashlight, but gives you an idea of the ATI foldover stock...

IMG_0715..jpg

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    What are you using for a flashlight/laser combo? Something like a Streamlight TLR-2?

I've looked into a lot of different models of shotguns and ended up settling on the 590A1 mainly because it was the primary model that Blackwater had been using for combat operations in Iraq. It seems to me that those guys had probably field tested a number of shotguns before settling with that particular model. I've played around with it a few times while I've been in Powderhorn here and there, I love the feel of it in my hands. Just haven't been able to fire one yet. :)

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    I added factory ghost ring sights to my Mossy 500 - the best money I have spent in a long while Just MHO

Well, I got a 12ga. Mossy 500 (which I use for the same purpose) simply because I thought that the 590 was a tad long for a HD weapon. To be fair though, I'm only 5'7" so it's up to your personal preference.

Honestly, if it's just for home defense I'd say just stick with the standard bead sight or just fire from the hip. It's a shotgun... Inside the confined spaces of your house... Being military personnel, I seriously doubt that you're gonna have a hard time hitting your mark in those conditions. My 500 has a pistol grip and I hit targets at 25 yards every time.

The most that I would do is get a set of ghost ring sights if you're really that intent on modifying it. I mean, nobody's gonna stop you from busting a thousand bucks on an EOTech Holo sight, but it's unnecessary and would be more for show than anything else.

View attachment 4508 My Mossberg.

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    I replaced the factory gold bead with a Meprolight tritium bead on my Mossy 500, I got it from OpticsPlanet. As someone said above, a bead is good enough for HD distances especially for an experienced operator, I just wanted to be able to see it under all lighting conditions.

I also added a mount on the mag tube for a Streamlight TLR-1 with the remote switch on the fore-end. With a 3-point sling and shotshell carrier on the stock, I'm happy with the setup.

JR78

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    DFW Area
    I'm looking for ghost rings for my 590. The only ones I can find are from Mossberg and they're far and few in between. I stop by XS Sight Systems yesterday and they said it may be a couple of months before they perfect the front sight ring clamp. Any other suggestions?

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station

This is my 500A, has a light mounted to the barrel with a light clamp. and has the heatshroud with ghost ring sights on it, but i only put slugs through it. The sights are pretty good, i can put 5 rapid slugs center mass at 50 yrds on a silhouette.

EDA: thats not rust on the action just a reflection.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    A Pelican i got issued while in the Army. Was a pain finding the pressure pad with the coiled cord so i could attach it to the pump. All in all theres about 350 put in to it counting the shottie itself. Has a rail mounted on the reciever where i used to have a red dot but got tired of it so its gone.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    For those that have them, what's your honest impression of the over folding stocks? They look really nice and seem to make it much more compact. I've always been a fan of conventional stocks for shotguns, tho.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    They are great if you have very tight corners you have to go around or small places to shoot from. I also like it because you can leave it folded for storage and when you need it grab it next to the side saddle and snap it open with fast deployablility to the shoulder. These things you cant do with a standard stock.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    DSC07642.jpg
    CW dont get a second class shotgun!! get the "ELITE" shotgun of shotguns!! here's a pic of my benelli M1014 w/ collapsible stock & TAC 900 lumen light and his baby brother the Super Nova pump w/ collapsible stock!! dont settle for a pinto when you can have a FERRARI!!:patriot:

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    whats a statewide meet?? im 3-1/2 yrs new to Texas!! but would love to get together and hit the range with ya. ive been saying this site should have an annual TGT shoot n BBQ somewhere in the middle of the state. im sure MANY would donate for such an event. but if yer ever up this way, let me know and we'll go sling some lead together!!

Top Bottom