• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Is there an NRA website that posts where the Basic Instructor Training (BIT) courses are being held? (I can only seem to find the follow up courses on the NRA website)

Follow up question: is there an additional class that one would take to be certified to teach a CHL certification class?
    DK Firearms

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    There's a link here where you can search different areas of the state for upcoming classes:

Become an NRA Certified Instructor

Just fyi, if you plan on taking the CHL Instructor class, there is no requirement for obtaining any sort of NRA Instructor certification before hand. Just thought I'd mention it. If you do take BIT and something like say Basic Pistol Instructor, it can qualify you for the reduced class (28hrs vs. I think ~34-36hrs)

As far as CHL, you have to take the CHL Instructor class from DPS. It is not taught anywhere else. Good luck, it's a long wait. I waited about 8+ months, and finally I'm going through the class this coming week.

Just curious, what are your goals? IMHO, honestly there is not a lot to be gained from many of the NRA Instructor level classes. I'll use Basic Pistol as an example, since it sounds like that's probably the topic at hand. Depending on the amount of funds you are looking to invest in initial training, it would probably be more worthwhile investing in taking several professional classes to learn how to become a better shooter. Some of the classes like that are posted in this section by quite a few different instructors/schools. The teaching part of it is not really much different from being good at teaching anything else. The NRA material is just behind the times, and much of it is pretty much irrelevant. You can obtain insurance through the NRA's contract insurance provider without being an NRA member, and without even being an NRA Instructor.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Thanks for the information.

I'm looking to get instructor certification because many people I know are leaning towards gun ownership, but are hesitant to take the next step. Many (women mostly) are not comfortable in a classroom environment even if it's women-only (somehow it makes them feel even more incompetent). Having been certified as an instructors would add to my credibility and possibly lead me to hold in-home classes to help people feel more comfortable before they enter a room full of strangers with guns.

I have some experience shooting having taught my girlfriend how to shoot and I honestly feel that if I can help people overcome generations of bias stigma against the "fear of guns" while still retaining a healthy respect for them, they will feel comfortable enough to move forward with their education and training without feeling awkward.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Agreed with Sig. The NRA classes are quote expensive. If I had to do it again I would invest in some high quality training from outside sources.

Top Bottom