• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    I am wanting to retire my current EDC knife which is a cheap Mtech firefighter knife.

Here is what I am looking for in a new one.
    Folding straight edge blade
    Thumb knob for opening
    Reversible Belt Clip so I can carry blade up
    and Easy to open

The only one I have found on amazon that I like is this one. Amazon.com: Kershaw Ken Onion Black Blur Folding Knife with Speed Safe: Sports & Outdoors

Anyone have something that they would reccomend?
    Texas SOT

Buckles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Cypress, TX
    i would stay away from cold steel. their quality has gone down quite a bit in the last few years. they just arent making them like they used to.

MAJIK_BONE_77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Nowhere
    i would stay away from cold steel. their quality has gone down quite a bit in the last few years. they just arent making them like they used to.

How so?

Not to say your wrong, admitidly I'm not an expert, just a cutlery lover, but I do know that Cold Steel uses Japanese AUS 8A Stainless on the majority of their knives ( with the exception of some of their budget models) whereas Spyderco uses AUS-10 stainless steel which while comparable to AUS 8A, is a softer steel more easily able to loose an edge, thus requiring more sharpening, and taking away from the life of the blade, although it is slightly more flexable ( not really an issue when dealing with a pocket sized folding blade)

As far as the handles, and locking mechanisms of Cold Steel, they use most of the same materials most other medium to high end knife makers use including Spyderco, and the Tri-Ad locking mechanism that Cold Steel uses on some of their newer line is actually an award winning design.

I really am not trying to start a thread war or anything, and I personally love spyderco, I have now, and in the past owned many of them, along with several others, I just don't see how Cold Steel has gone down in quality, or is somehow not as good as A spyderco, or a Kershaw, or what have u.

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    The AL Mar SERE 2000 or mini SERE is a really good folding knife.

Buckles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Cypress, TX
    How so?

Not to say your wrong, admitidly I'm not an expert, just a cutlery lover, but I do know that Cold Steel uses Japanese AUS 8A Stainless on the majority of their knives ( with the exception of some of their budget models) whereas Spyderco uses AUS-10 stainless steel which while comparable to AUS 8A, is a softer steel more easily able to loose an edge, thus requiring more sharpening, and taking away from the life of the blade, although it is slightly more flexable ( not really an issue when dealing with a pocket sized folding blade)

As far as the handles, and locking mechanisms of Cold Steel, they use most of the same materials most other medium to high end knife makers use including Spyderco, and the Tri-Ad locking mechanism that Cold Steel uses on some of their newer line is actually an award winning design.

I really am not trying to start a thread war or anything, and I personally love spyderco, I have now, and in the past owned many of them, along with several others, I just don't see how Cold Steel has gone down in quality, or is somehow not as good as A spyderco, or a Kershaw, or what have u.

there are very few spydercos that use the cheap steels. those are only on their imported line.
    the majority of spydercos are made from either vg-10 or s30v

Buckles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Cypress, TX
    The new full flat ground Spyderco Endura is really great. i just got mine the other day. they also come in some cool colors now.

swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    Well My Kershaw Blur came in today, and I love it already, it is soooo easy to open and feels great in my hand, I like the rubbery texture it has on it, but at the same time I don't like it. The only complaint is that they probably should have left off the texture on the pocket clip side because at this moment, it is hard as hell to get in and out of my pocket since the texture grabs a hold of the blue jean. But hopefully over time and use it will become easier.

I am going to reverse the clip next week as soon as I find a dang torx bit that small, I might have to run down the Hot Rod Arms and see if they have any that small that I can use to flip it.

Buckles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Cypress, TX
    home depot sells a little Husky brand torx driver that has several different sizes in it. they are only about $5. it has every size i need for all my knives.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Gerber Applegate/Fairbairn full size or covert model from Smokey Mountain Knife Works. Got a lot of miles on both of them.

Flash

jake75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Hurst, TX
    I have a SOG Twitch and a Twitch 2. Both are assisted open. Very good knives. Sharp out of the box. Id recommend those.

Top Bottom