• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxSteel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    I recently moved to the Spring area and am looking for range options. I noticed many charge per gun for the hour. Are there any near the Spring area that charge per day without limiting number of guns you bring? Say I want to bring 3 handguns and 2 rifles. Some ranges this would be $40 for an hour.
    Thanks.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Do you need rifles or pistols? What ranges are sufficient?

For 25 yard shooting, there's Spring Guns and Ammo and their indoor ranges. There's no per-gun charge, just an hourly charge. The enforcement of the hourly rate is lax during times when the range is less than full. They allow rifles. Full-auto can be done and they have a decent selection of rentals. There are nits to pick about it but, all in all, it's a good place.

If you need to shoot outdoors, benchrest, to 100 yards, then Carter's Country is the closest. Most people on TGT know enough about guns to dislike Carter's. Most people who are aware of basic safety will visit the place once and then not go back unless they just have to.

And you don't have to go back, now that Shooter's Station in Conroe offers 100-yard indoor rifle benchrest. Unfortunately, according to the signage at the range they prohibit all 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R. Since I love the 7.62x39 (I have several guns for it), I consider my options there a bit too limited. However, I shoot there occasionally and like the place.

If you're looking for benchrest rifle competition then you probably already know about the Tomball Gun Club. You can't become a member there until someone gives up their membership. That generally means someone has to die. The wait is years. However, if you compete it's the bee's knees.

Gander Mountain has a very nice range but it's limited to 45 feet and is expensive at $25/hour. The hourly rate is strictly enforced.

Shiloh is, from what I hear, quite good. They have their fans. I haven't been there because I have a similar indoor range closer to me.

Be more specific about your needs and I can do a better job of making recommendations but I hope this helps.

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    Its a hike but the stinkadena ranges dont charge per gun.
    Marksman for shotgun and pistols.
    Pasadena fun ctr for rifles and pistols. Though the latter has poor ventilation.
    Both allow rapid fire, which is rare

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    Based on discussions beginning at post 293 here http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...-range-day-july-27th-shooters-station-15.html, a September meet is being planned at a gun club. For those that have been, think of it as Hicksville-esque but without as many built in targets. This is a gun CLUB, not your typical Houston area range.

80 miles north of Greenspoint Mall and less than 7mi off I-45
    Location specifics will be PMd to those who commit to going (not my property, not my choice)

DATE:
    September 14, 2013

WHAT TO BRING:
    Full autos and other NFA toys
    Tannerite and something biodegradable (or what you are willing to clean up) to go blewy
    Bowling pins, self sealing targets, steel plates, etc

FEES:
    $5 range access for the entire day. I'm sure the club would gladly accept more if you were so inclined ;)
    $6 / round of skeet or trap

• Self policing, no official RSO / range staff
    • Freedom to move and shoot
    • 50yd pistol/rimfire with 9 covered stations and 3 moveable target stands. Also a gong at @ 25yds
    • 100yd rifle with @ 6 covered stations that you can also access 200 and 300yd targets from
    • 2 skeet and trap combo areas
    • A/C clubhouse
    • 1 or more BBQ pits, kitchen sink, and small microwave available
    • Keep your brass
    • We must clean our own mess

Guess you missed this thread

sent from my cell phone, far far away

NTMock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Hockley, TX
    Gander mountain. One fee, two people per lane, never been restricted on how many guns. Like $27 and they give you nice targets dont have to buy them. They also have a program where you buy a range pass that basically gives you 1 free trip to the range it also gives you priority in reserving a lane

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

TexasGunGirl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    near Houston, Texas.
    Do you need rifles or pistols? What ranges are sufficient?

For 25 yard shooting, there's Spring Guns and Ammo and their indoor ranges. There's no per-gun charge, just an hourly charge. The enforcement of the hourly rate is lax during times when the range is less than full. They allow rifles. Full-auto can be done and they have a decent selection of rentals. There are nits to pick about it but, all in all, it's a good place.

If you need to shoot outdoors, benchrest, to 100 yards, then Carter's Country is the closest. Most people on TGT know enough about guns to dislike Carter's. Most people who are aware of basic safety will visit the place once and then not go back unless they just have to.

And you don't have to go back, now that Shooter's Station in Conroe offers 100-yard indoor rifle benchrest. Unfortunately, according to the signage at the range they prohibit all 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R. Since I love the 7.62x39 (I have several guns for it), I consider my options there a bit too limited. However, I shoot there occasionally and like the place.

If you're looking for benchrest rifle competition then you probably already know about the Tomball Gun Club. You can't become a member there until someone gives up their membership. That generally means someone has to die. The wait is years. However, if you compete it's the bee's knees.

Gander Mountain has a very nice range but it's limited to 45 feet and is expensive at $25/hour. The hourly rate is strictly enforced.

Shiloh is, from what I hear, quite good. They have their fans. I haven't been there because I have a similar indoor range closer to me.

Be more specific about your needs and I can do a better job of making recommendations but I hope this helps.

Shiloh isn't too bad really. I've only been once though. They charge by the hour. But not sure how enforceable it is during non-busy hours. I no longer shoot at SGA because of safety AND personal reasons. But there are a TON of ranges to hit up! There is one in Conroe that charges by gun but if it's not a busy time then I don't think they really care about the "hourly" rule. You stay as long as you want.

NTMock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Hockley, TX
    Shiloh isn't too bad really. I've only been once though. They charge by the hour. But not sure how enforceable it is during non-busy hours. I no longer shoot at SGA because of safety AND personal reasons. But there are a TON of ranges to hit up! There is one in Conroe that charges by gun but if it's not a busy time then I don't think they really care about the "hourly" rule. You stay as long as you want.

Shiloh is not bad but everytime I have been there it is hot and muggy. I also do not go to spring guns and ammo anymore because it seems that employees don't know proper safety procedures and often times i have witnessed them having more fun shooting a customer's firearm than monitoring the range. I never have seen anybody speak about gander mountain except for myself. The temperatures are always perfect in there and targets are not a paper thin that fall apart off a clothes pin.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

TxSteel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Thanks for the advice and range locations in the area. I did see the thread on the meet next month just up north a bit off 45N. I will try to make it as well as I am a newbie to this site and would be nice to meet some local like minded...well like minded pro2A members. Oh, by the way I just came across the iron curtain of New Yorkistan. Not to worry no liberal minds here. Actually labeled NY the liberal sinkhole of the USA.

ShootingTheBull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Gander Mountain's range is very nice. Short though, max of 45 feet I think. No per-gun charge, and they allow shotguns (00 buck) and rifles (up to 300 Win Mag). But at $25/hr, it's a little pricey. You can get that down a little by buying a five-trip card, so for $100 you have five pre-paid range visits.

Shiloh's fine, it's not as nice as Gander Mountain but it's also $16 (last I checked) instead of $25, and no per-gun fee.

NTMock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Hockley, TX
    Yes it is only 45 feet. Which falls short of other ranges, especially outdoor ranges. However the facilities are very well kept, up to date, and comfortable. I also like to stick around after the live fire range and use their simulator. It is 300º and half priced on Tuesdays. Very fun things to do from challenging friends to target practice, to practicing your own reaction times in defense situations. Video of the 300º sim --> Pro V SIM 300 - YouTube

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    I took my CHL class at Shiloh and was a regular there for a few years until SGA opened up. The lighting and ventilation at Shiloh leave something to be desired, but the people have always been good and the price is fair.

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    I took my CHL class at Shiloh and was a regular there for a few years until SGA opened up. The lighting and ventilation at Shiloh leave something to be desired, but the people have always been good and the price is fair.
    I went in shiloh to buy ammo and asked about rapid fire. they said its ok.
    I go in there with my semi uzi and proceed to do my thing (yes I was keepi g it on paper)and I get shut down.
    bs

NTMock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Hockley, TX
    I went in shiloh to buy ammo and asked about rapid fire. they said its ok.
    I go in there with my semi uzi and proceed to do my thing and I get shut down.
    bs
    Same happened to me, but with a hand gun.. 1 shot every 2-3 seconds (and that's not even rapid in my opinion) and was told to slow down. Same happened at SGA to a friend who brought his AR, was told he can rapid but then after 10 seconds and 6-8 rounds or so the guy grabbed his shoulder turned him around while he was shooting (that can't be safe can it) and said slow down or get removed from the range, all while he was over with his buddy rapid firing and not paying attention to the rest of the range other than hearing the other guns go off. Which is why I won't go back to either place. Took my CHL course at Shiloh a while back and it was wonderful, but was allowed to shoot faster in the course than as a paying customer just using the range. Never had a problem at Gander Mountain, I can't stress it enough.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...at SGA to a friend who brought his AR, was told he can rapid but then after 10 seconds and 6-8 rounds or so the guy grabbed his shoulder turned him around while he was shooting (that can't be safe can it) and said slow down or get removed from the range, all while he was over with his buddy rapid firing and not paying attention to the rest of the range other than hearing the other guns go off. Which is why I won't go back...
    SGA allows rapid fire. They have to since they allow full-autos. My big knock on SGA is communications problems. It does no good for the counter clerk to tell folks that rapid fire is allowed if they fail to hook up the shooter and the RSO on duty so that the RSO knows what's what. The RSOs then assume the worst and feelings get hurt. I've heard of this happening at SGA too many times and it's completely unnecessary.

NTMock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Hockley, TX
    I know they allow it. Which is why we were all surprised when the guy grabbed him and turned him around while shooting.. can you imagine a slip of the finger while firing an AR shooting in the wrong direction.. unsafe, unprofessional, and lost much business from myself and others because of it. It sucks when the LGS gets this kind of review.

Tomservo92

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    I often go to Thunder Gun Range in Conroe. Its an outdoor range with a 25, 50, & 100 yard rifle range, a pistol range, and shotgun ranges (both clay and paper). Prices are reasonable and they are pretty laid back most of the time (depends on how many noobs are shooting).

Top Bottom