• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Detritus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Lake Jackson, TX
    My wife and I have been saying for awhile now that both she and I would benefit from at least some level of firearms training.
    Neither one of us needs an "intro" type class, we both know basic safety etc. having learned what we know through the typical path of family, friends/bystanders at the range, and (in my case) an occasional how-to book thrown in. But neither of us has had so much as an hour of true professional instruction as of yet and we both know that we would greatly benefit from doing so.
    anyway I'm looking for any recomendations or leads on finding quality instruction in east to central portions of texas. there is a definite bias toward anything available around the houston area for purely scheduling/travel reasons but we are not averse to sites nearer to Austin or San Antonio if better courses/instructors (or availability) can be found by doing so.
    as for types of course:
    • We're both looking for a "basic pistol" course. neither of us is to the level of proficency we'd like to be at. (just a note a basic course that focused on 1911 types would not be out of line for us as that is the gun we both use)
    • basic rifle course for both of us, have to say that an Appleseed weekend is on our agenda as soon as we can get it all lined up, Trish would like to get as close as she could to the old army AQT type training and qualification at some point (long story)
    • I'd like to take something like a basic precision rifle course or similar (and trish would take it if it was geared to allow scoped ARs as well). after what amounted to a near decade long lay-off from shooting accurate target/tactical bolt-action centerfire rifles I feel a need to kind of start from scratch regarding the skills used (I know i've forgotten ALOT)
    and of course as stated in the thread title any of the above may be added to at a later date if we feel the need or desire down the road (such as with courses that would establish or hone skills needed in a given shooting sport etc) just want to get the basics covered first.

anyway, enough of my ramble. thank you for any info or assistance you can give. If any clarification or similar is needed let me know
    Venture Surplus ad

longtooth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Lufkin, Texas
    If you are North of Houston instead of West I am in driving distance. Would be glad to talk to you about a program talored to fit your needs. I just finished a Father Daughter training. Working w/ a Father/son & a Husband/wife at present. You can get recomendations on me from Texas CHL forum. The Father/son just did a review on his training.

Detritus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Lake Jackson, TX
    If you are North of Houston instead of West I am in driving distance.

I'm actually South of Houston, in Lake Jackson. Anything that is within the same driving radius as the cities mentioned above, from our front door, is likely within reason. as i get responses I'll be sending the info along to my wife for her to look over etc. she kind of has the deciding vote since she's the one most in need of instruction.
    We'll keep ya in mind
    :)

stalker19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Mom's basement

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Go to retired SGM Flasowski of FAST inc. Fantastic instructor and a lifetime of experience. Good luck finding rates as low as his from someone with his background.

Advanced Firearms and Tactical Training Central Texas Shooting School

You can attend a pre-scheduled class, or he will customize one for you.

You can check out a brief AAR of a private pistol class here: AAR: FAST Inc. Combat Handgun, Chappell Hill, TX. - M4Carbine.net Forums

Tell him Joe W sent ya.

Wow, you aren't kidding...those are some low rates for what you're getting. Will definitely be scheduling a class with him in the future.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Wow, you aren't kidding...those are some low rates for what you're getting. Will definitely be scheduling a class with him in the future.

I highly recommend Kenan as well. Good dude, humble guy, great instructor, valuable source to learn from.

Jon is also a good guy, and another great instructor.

Northern Red is top notch.

Texas is just plain badass and we're fortunate that we have a TON of excellent training opportunities! :-)

Detritus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Lake Jackson, TX
    thank you for all the suggestions and info so far guys :) The wife and I will be looking these over etc in the coming days/weeks (it will be awhile before we can really do anything about any of this) to see which ones fit best.

Thank you again and if any others come to mind please don't hesitate to share :)

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Don't forget about Shiloh shooting range . They have a female instructor Tracy if your wife would be more comfotable with that.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Not to sound like a knock against them, as that's not my intention, but I would keep this in mind about Appleseed. It's purely fundamentals of marksmanship. You can work your fundamentals, accuracy, etc. but it will do absolutely nothing beyond that to prepare you to fight with a rifle.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Not to sound like a knock against them, as that's not my intention, but I would keep this in mind about Appleseed. It's purely fundamentals of marksmanship. You can work your fundamentals, accuracy, etc. but it will do absolutely nothing beyond that to prepare you to fight with a rifle.

+1 on appleseed, it is not a gun fighting course. its a marksmanship class to help improve shots. it would be similar to a marksmanship qualification.

Detritus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Lake Jackson, TX
    +1 on appleseed, it is not a gun fighting course. its a marksmanship class to help improve shots. it would be similar to a marksmanship qualification.

to be clear the similarity of Appleseed to at least one variant of marksmanship qualification (and the basic level skills involved) is the reason we both want to do it. We know that it teaches nothing on how to fight with a rifle or carbine, but we both need and/or want a primer (in my case a "re-grounding") in basic marksmanship.

for my own case because as i stated I went 10+ years without really using iron sights.

as for Trish, ok time for me to break out the whole reason/story behind why she wants this one...
    Trish was one of the last women to Enlist in the army while the Women's Army Corps and it's differing types and standards of Basic Training were in force, and therefore did not receive any level of (legitimate) weapons training/qualification during her enlistment. From what she has been told the young ladies that went through WAC Basic Ft McClellan 2 or 3 cycles after her were the first to be given the same "basic weapons" training as male recruits. she WAS offered (would have been required to complete) rifle qualification when she volunteered for REFORGER '75, but an injury just prior to the work-up ended her eligability/availability.
    All of this adds up to: Trish is a Vietnam-Era Veteran of the US Army that was never given a chance to train and qualify with a rifle. And even though she can not go back and "do it for real" Appleseed does provide an opportunity to get fairly close to that and at least learn the basic skills. and let's face it it's less intimidating that trying to get/teach her to shoot NRA Service Rifle ;)

further classes/instruction on the rifle are likely, but we both feel that a smaller less intense class that gives the very basic ground-level fundementals of marksmanship is what we BOTH need at this time.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    I'm teaching a basic rifle class next month in Orange TX through Suarez International. You can view the course description here
    It will be a small no pressure class at a really nice venue.

Handgun World

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    I highly recommend Jon Payne's Suarez International Courses. I've also joined the Suarez International Instructor team recently and will be teaching Combat Pistol Marksmanship on October 20, 2012 in San Antonio. Keep your eyes opening for a class posting soon.

If you listen to my podcast, you'll also learn about other training for intermediate shooters as well. Although the Suarez Curriculum is excellent. Based on your original post, I think you'll get a lot out of a full day in San Antonio. I should have it posted in about a week.

Top Bottom