• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shortdogg2k05

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Houston
    I was wondering if there were any public rifle ranges in Houston other than american shooting center where you are not required to sit at a bench to shoot. I would like to shoot kneeling, prone etc...

Thanks in advance
    DK Firearms

TdDude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Houston
    :patriot:Spring Guns & Ammo is indoors but they do have a section where you can shoot smaller caliber rifles. By that I mean I've shot my .223 (AR) there. The range is only 25 yards but if you're working on your standing positions, just extrapolate the error to see how far off you will be at the distance you're interested in. That would at least get you some good information. 1" groups at 25 yards will mean 8" groups at 200 yards. In my book, that tells me I'll need to find some sort of rest if I'm considering a 200 yard shot out in the field.

I've never asked but I would see nothing wrong with working on sitting positions as well as long as your shot angle doesn't end up in the ceiling. I doubt there's enough room to go prone unless you're on an end lane.

But, I've never asked so perhaps someone from SGA can pipe in and correct me.

:patriot::patriot:

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I have shot standing at Carters Country in the past, not sure if you can do it now.

Still not happy with their stance on supporting the abolishing of gun shows, so I don't visit them anymore.

redneckinmontrose

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    So Carter's Country wants to abolish gun shows?

Not posting to disupte the statement, it might be logical to eliminate some competition, but what supporting evidence is there that Carter's Country wants to eliminate gun shows today?

Can anyone help us link to previously posted stories or direct quotes?

And back to the original intent of the thread - Bayou Rifles isn't a public range, but they don't charge much on an annual basis, and at Juliff I had the pistol range to myself for awhile last night. Then I went over the the 25/50 yard rifle range for a while and was all by my lonesome for a time too. You have to pick up after yourself, but on the the flipside, other rifle ranges may fuss at you for collecting your brass.

The rifle range at Hotwells is like trying to shoot inside a shoebox. And you can't go look at your target.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Bayou Rifles will let you shoot standing, kneeling, prone, sitting, etc etc etc.
    Juliff isn't terribly busy most of the time, unless there is a match in progress or deer season is around the corner.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    It depends on where you are shooting at ASC. There is a spot at the 50 yd where I see people stand and shoot often. If you go the 200 yd range, you can stand, kneel, or lay prone. The 400 yd and 500 yd are prone only I believe.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Not posting to disupte the statement, it might be logical to eliminate some competition, but what supporting evidence is there that Carter's Country wants to eliminate gun shows today?

Bill Carter got the gun shows at the GRB shut down for a while. Fortunately the promoters took went to court and got them reinstated. He is part of an organization that wants to "close the gun show loophole" and is basically against any type of gun that does not fit his hunting type needs. Due to market influences he has started carrying some black rifles, but not a supporter, just wants the money. There have been a number of threads on here about their hypocritical practices, and attitudes toward anyone they feel is taking some of their piece of the pie. I did a quick search, but could not get the right words to find a good link.

Top Bottom