• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Opulence 870

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    HOUSTON
    Well guys as currently said before I am trying to find some people to go long range shooting with but since I am still looking around I have built a great 10/22 for plinking and maybe some competitions or just to shoot. So what im lookin for is maybe some suggestions on decent ranges or if anyone knows of any competitions around the houston area. I know this seems kinda dumb to ask but I have been lookin and researching like crazy. So ya.... any help would be great.:ohnoes:
    DK Firearms

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'm not aware of anything going on in the Houston area although there should be some benchrest or NRA-type competition going on that you could use your .22 at. You won't be real competitive against the Anschutz and 40X shooters, but it'd be fun.

Madhouse

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Tomball, TX
    I'm a member at a private club called Bayou Rifles. We have 2 ranges, one of which is in Addicks Reservoir. This range has 4 separate shooting ranges and allows any caliber pistol, and rimfire rifles only. Our #1 range is rimfire and air rifle steel silhouette (those little inch-wide silhouettes) and they have competitions there a lot. I was serving as RSO there a couple months ago when the TSRA State Championship was going on there. #2 range is longer-distance pistol, 25 and 50 yards. #3 is short-work pistol, 7 and 10 yards. Range #4 is steel silhouettes for pistols or rimfire rifles - chickens at 40 yards, pigs at 50 yards, turkeys at 75 yards and hogs at 100 yards. They have rimfire competitions at the #4 range as well. It is an awesome place to shooting rimfire.

Welcome to website of Bayou Rifles Inc.

Silhouettes at our #4 range:

Attachments

• IMG00601-20110305-1340.jpg
      IMG00601-20110305-1340.jpg
      53.7 KB · Views: 203
    • IMG00599-20110305-1339.jpg
      IMG00599-20110305-1339.jpg
      29.4 KB · Views: 210

Madhouse

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Tomball, TX
    As for long-range shooting, our second range (which I haven't ever visited yet) is on the south side of town, and has pistol range, shotgun area, and rifle ranges at 100, 200, 300, 600 and 1000 yards. It is called our Juliff Range, they hold class F competitions (1000 yds) out there.

dglockster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    If you have not tried an Appleseed Shoot, you may want to look into doing so:
    Project Appleseed Home

To the right, under "Appleseed Events," is a U.S. map. Click on the image of Texas to get more local information.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Did you not read Madhouse's posts?

Actually, I read every thread in the rimfire section last night.

So then, let me make sure I understand your answer through all the subterfuge... Are you saying there is no other place in the Houston area to go other than Bayou Rifles to shoot rimfire and participate in rimfire competitions?

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Are you a member out at Bayou Rifles?

Member and RSO. The Julliff range is member-policed with no RSO's, but the Addicks range requires RSO's for liability reasons since it is on Corps land. The advantage of being an RSO is that you can use the Addicks range when it is closed to general membership. It's only open to general membership Friday afternoon, all day Sat and Sun. RSO's have to work one 3-hour shift per quarter to maintain eligibility.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Very interesting... I ask since this thread was older and I'm curious to know(and can probably assume now that I piece all of your answers together) if they've kept the rimfire range up? Any new additions/subtractions from rimfire range there in the last year?

I still would like to bump this in hopes that someone knows of a public range that offers some good rimfire shooting around Houston. As I understand, Bayou Rifles isn't open to general public, so...

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Bayou Rifles is a private club with dues of $140/yr (if I remember right). You can visit their website for more details on membership and range info, but they have recently postponed new member orientations due to an explosion in membership over the last year. Improvements are made as funds, time, and volunteer participation allow. I haven't been out to Juliff in quite some time, but some berm improvements and additional steel gongs have been added to the steel silhouette range recently. Also, new concrete shooting benches were installed on that range.

txpaulie

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Rosharon
    I cannot access their website for some reason...

Is there a way I can receive a schedule of open-to-the-public shooting events?

They are very close to me.

p

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    I cannot access their website for some reason...

Is there a way I can receive a schedule of open-to-the-public shooting events?

Their website seems to be a bit out of date but I did find this...

For information regarding the bench rest matches send email to benchrest@bayourifles.org

You can sign up for small-bore bench rest email list by clicking here:
    https://www.bayourifles.org/ml/mail.cgi/list/Benchrest

I should add: I may be interested in checking out one of these competitions sometime. I know I'm not in a position to compete but I'd like to see how they go so I can expand my horizons a bit.

If anyone has any updated info please let me/us know.

Last edited:

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Their website seems to be a bit out of date but I did find this...

I should add: I may be interested in checking out one of these competitions sometime. I know I'm not in a position to compete but I'd like to see how they go so I can expand my horizons a bit.

If anyone has any updated info please let me/us know.
    Maybe we could set up a group for Houston to shoot at ASC.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

Top Bottom