• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SgtBrummy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    I am very well rounded with my selection of firearms. I have my pistol for carry, my home protection, etc. I'm now in the market for my wife. I am looking for something that is not as wide as my xd subcompact but not as small as a pocket pistol. I'm trying to find something along the lines of single stack 9mm or something along those lines. I looked at the Taurus slim (not to purchase) but I do like the size of it. I also looked at some of the 1911 style subcompacts. I would like some opinions from personal use not something that was read online.
    Lynx Defense

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Sarge

Where are you located? If anywhere near San Antonio, I've got a Slim as well as a Taurus TCP (.380) that is considerably smaller if you'd like to try 'em out.

But outside of those two, I don't really have any "compact" pistols.

EDIT: I just saw in your other thread that you are in the Tomball/Spring area. If you ever make it out this way, let me know.

Cheers! M2

SgtBrummy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    What do you think about the slim. Do you have any regrets from it? Some of the things I've read have been negative about them but that's why I am looking from personal use.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Actually, I've had nothing but positive results out of my Slim! I commonly carry it when my XD-45 is a bit too much.

I have two theories about many of the "failures" attributed to this model. First, mine came smothered in what appeared to be cosmoline. A thorough cleaning is absolutely necessary before shooting it for the first time, I did so had had no failures whatsoever! Secondly, it is a small pistol, so it is imperative that the shooter locks their wrists when firing it! Any "limp-wristing" might cause it not to cycle properly. Ensure you have a stiff hold on it, and it'll work like a champ! I've got a couple of hundred rounds through mine, and it's been flawless.

That said, I love mine! It's very accurate for the distances it would be needed (5-15 yrds) and I can easily get tight groups out of it. The sights are considerably better than on the PT111 I have (which has the "8" sights on it. Ugh!). Although it's about the same height and length as the PT111, it's much thinner which I like. I find it easy to grip (I do have a Hogue wrap on it) and similarly easy to draw and acquire the target. The first time I handled one at a gun show, I knew I had to get one; and I'm very glad I did!

Similarly, the TCP I recently acquired has impressed me a lot as well. I had a .380 previously, a Kel-Tec P3AT that I was less than impressed with; and the Taurus is a completely different pistol despite being similar in size, shape, etc. It is amazingly accurate for such a small pistol (it's notably smaller than the Slim), conceals very easily in my pocket (I got a pocket holster for it), and it's much better to shoot than the Kel-Tec I had! It too was one of those cases where I picked one up at a show, and knew I'd own one some day.

Cheers! M2

SgtBrummy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    Outstanding!!! That answers my question on the slim. It also answered another question I've had about the kel tec. I was looking at that too for a pocket pistol and may have changed my mind.

This is going to be my wifes first gun so I want to make sure I get her something that she is going to enjoy having. Then again, I she doesn't like it, I have myself a new gun.

I too am carry an xd and that can get a little bulky depending on what I am wearing. If I get the slim for my wife and like it, I will end up getting one for myself.

Thanks for a the info.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    One gun I have sold a bunch of and have found to be extremely popular with women is the new Walther PK380. It's a comfortable grip, easiest slide to rack out of any semi auto, very little recoil (not much more than a .22), and the price is good (~$375 new). I'd highly recommend having her check it out and see if she likes the feel of it.

Another good one I'd personally recommend is the Sig P6, which can still be found ~$350-400.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Straight blowback .380s can have a sharp recoil. Ruger\Kel-Tec\S&W Bodyguard.
    huh? Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec P3AT, and S&W Bodyguard all have a tilting barrel, locked-breech design. Bersa 380, Walther PPK, and Sig P230 are examples of strait blowback designs.

I agree the blowbacks have more noticeable recoil. I don't care for them either...

Top Bottom